New litter picking scheme

Geoffrey Settle

I'd just like to thank Gary for publishing details about the NEW litter-picking scheme in Poulton North that I launched the other week. :P

A couple of people have shown interest and as a consequence I ordered a couple of litter pickers off Amazon (other suppliers are available)to give to people who are prepared to collect a carrier bag of litter from their street or park once or twice a week.

I was very pleased to sign someone up in Longbarn last week. This is because it is on the other side of the ward from where I live. Although the gentleman lives in a close where there is very little litter he is prepared to keep an eye on a section of Harpers road for me.

This is important because drivers throw cigarette packets, bottle, Big Mac containers out of their window as they drive past.

The reason he wanted to do this is because 'He has seen someone else in another part of Warrington regularly litter-picking and he wants to give back a bit to his community but doen't have much time to spare'. :rolleyes:

Fitfteen minutes or so once or twice a week is all it takes. :idea:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Geoff, I know your intentions are good but you’re not solving any problems by getting others to pick stuff up behind those dropping it. This might make a pleasant little story for Gary but the reality is that it doesn’t address the problem. Turning the litter issue into a wholesome cosy event for boy scouts and the women’s groups increases the sale of tea cakes but wont make the problem stop.

The proof of my argument is that local politicians have been doing this since I was a kid so you might as well go kiss a baby because it’ll have exactly the same effect.

Bill :)

Well meaning people can pick up as much litter as they like but, as Bill & Wingnut

implied, it is not going to solve the problem of people dropping litter. As long and they know other people will pick it up they will continue to drop it.

One day I counted 6 litter bins in very close proximity to shops on Poplars Ave/Capesthorne Road. All empty and litter strewn beyond belief all over the area.

In actual fact it is written in their contract that businesses must keep the area around their premises clean and free of litter. It appears that proprietors of the shops mentioned are ignoring that and maybe leaving it upto the others to clean it up.

To solve the problem of litter dropping the droppers themselves must be made responsible, through the courts if neccesary, and please, no replies about the police being too busy to take any action.

I recall, in days gone by, reading a reports of a man droppinng an empty cigarette packet on to the ground being prosecuted and fined as were drivers seen throwing litter out of their cars. Bet they never did it again.

I agree too but how do you really stop people dropping litter or fine them accordingly if they are not actually witnessed doing it ?

I often pick up litter from the canal bank round here. Yes I would much prefer the idiots who throw it there to be made responsible and action taken against them but I have never actually seen anyone dropping it... it just appears :unsure:

So what do I do ? Do I just leave it where it is looking a mess and moan about it to myslef everytime I look out of the window or walk down the road? The council litter pickers can't pick it up on their rounds as they are not allowed too reach over the fence as it is classed as Peel Holdings land.

Saying that the problem has got a little worse since the council removed the one litter bin we used to have along the road... probably because no-one used it though eh ?

Agree with the majority; picking litter doesn't stop those throwing it. If folk reported the throwers, and the police and courts took the matter seriously; offenders could be placed on community service orders and Geoff could be in charge of supervising this Army of litter pickers! Geoff - your so moneysupermarket! :D

I know that's how you all feel - but I'm quite happy trying things in Poulton North first.

Yes I am probably misguided - but I don't like passing litter - its just the way I was brought up and I'm not going to change to suit anyone else or adopt the way people behave today.

I was at a Mersey Forest steering group meeting last month when I met an officer who does have the power to fine people and is doing so. He and his colleagues have be trained in how to do this and deal with litter louts.

I've asked the police if we can do what they do in Halton i.e. train the officers and give them the powers of enforecement. The police said that they didn't support that approach.

The only option I have at the moment is to ask people to join the scheme and if together we keep our few streets relatively litter free that's fine by me. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Well meaning people can pick up as much litter as they like but, as Bill & Wingnut

implied, it is not going to solve the problem of people dropping litter. As long and they know other people will pick it up they will continue to drop it.

One day I counted 6 litter bins in very close proximity to shops on Poplars Ave/Capesthorne Road. All empty and litter strewn beyond belief all over the area.

In actual fact it is written in their contract that businesses must keep the area around their premises clean and free of litter. It appears that proprietors of the shops mentioned are ignoring that and maybe leaving it upto the others to clean it up.

To solve the problem of litter dropping the droppers themselves must be made responsible, through the courts if neccesary, and please, no replies about the police being too busy to take any action.

I recall, in days gone by, reading a reports of a man droppinng an empty cigarette packet on to the ground being prosecuted and fined as were drivers seen throwing litter out of their cars. Bet they never did it again.

I put this sort of idea to the police at the last Neighbourhood East meeting citing the example from Halton where officers are trained in the art of taking litter throwers to court. Apparently they have some success. I was told that I had to go and find an alternative - hence my approach to offereing to buy litter pickers for anyone who wants to look after their patch - so far two people have taken up my offer after reading the WWW article and their are four people working independently in Poulton North.

Re-educating people is the long term solution and the Waste & Re-cycle Education Officer has and continues to visit schools throughout Warrington emphasising the mesage - problem is that when children return home they see their parents dropping litter, car drivers throwing it out of the window etc etc. :angry:

The officer and councillor at Halton were very pleased with the success that they were having - they are catching and shaming people and makinbg them pay fines.

As you all say above it's not an easy problem/issue to resolve.

There has always been and always will be people who throw litter on the floor and it's not going to go away but maybe by encouraging the idea that not throwing it in the first place is a good idea there might be less of it.

Can anyone explain to me why people don't even bother to clear the litter from the front of their property be it a house or business :?:

Can anyone explain to me why people don't even bother to clear the litter from the front of their property be it a house or business

Why should they? Just let it pile up then some well meaning but slightly misguided person will come along and pick it up for them with a shiny new litter picker.

Geoff, if you don’t know the answer to this then what chance have you of ever finding a solution? Everything you’ve said on the subject is the same old stuff that’s been spouted since I was a kid. If any of these ideas had any merit then the problem would have been solved and we wouldn’t have any litter.

As long as you continue to look to apportion blame to the shops that sell the goods or packaging designers or how many bins etc your never ever going to solve the problem. The root cause is the person that drops the litter so if it were up to me, I’d just hit anyone seen littering with a huge fine with no exceptions and I’d bet they’d never do that again. What’s more, adults would then have to drum it into their kids not to litter because there would be no exceptions.

Simple really, you just have to address the cause and stop fafing about trying to get media coverage to promote your political career.

Bill :)