mr smiths/halo club bridge foot

nabber

Driving past the empty mr smiths/halo/abc cinema tonight I noticed a poster high on the wall advertising new smiths nightclub opening there in october. Haven't seen any mention on WW website or the other local paper.What happened to rumours about theatre or primark taking over the site,yet again another drinking establishment opening up for how long?

When it was up for auction recently the council were apparently hoping to buy it as it falls within their Bridge Street Quarter master plan (or whatever it's called) but it went for more than expected to a mystery buyer.

It's a shame that if as nabber says it is now going to be yet another nightclub. Isn't that 3 that have been there so far and all closed down for whatever reason.

It would have been nice to have something else there this time rather than the usual 'drunken louts' all night establishment. Ah well I guess it will keep the local police in jobs anyway.

I'm not an 'apper' anyway as I'm an android but it will be available for us aliens apparently too, I still wont bother though :wink:

I can get loads of apps though from the android market place and most are free I nearly downloaded a free app game and something else until I looked at what they 'could' do. Basically it gave the app creator/owner/prividor the rights to nosey at everyhing on my phone and use my connection etc too so I declined :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

It has failed before and it will fail again, its that simple. The introduction of 24 hour drinking killed it off, with all the other pubs now being open well into the early hours, whereas, previously, it was literally the only place in Town open at those times. Would have loved to have seen it turned into a cinema again, as I think this tiown is crying out for a Town centre cinema complex, to bring in teh families, but then thats another debate I guess

• Upvote 1

It has failed before and it will fail again, its that simple. The introduction of 24 hour drinking killed it off, with all the other pubs now being open well into the early hours, whereas, previously, it was literally the only place in Town open at those times. Would have loved to have seen it turned into a cinema again, as I think this tiown is crying out for a Town centre cinema complex, to bring in teh families, but then thats another debate I guess

yes lets have a cinema back in town

• Upvote 1

Just out of interest when did everyone on here last go the the cinema ?

I've not been for years mainly as I don't like UCI as it's not exactly a hop on the bus/or walk location (for most people or kids) and then of course there is the cost these days.

If Mr Smiths had become a cinema again with realistic charges (but definately without the extortionate £10 for a box of popcorn and a drink charges as UCI likes to charge) being in the centre of town and easily accessible it would have had a roarong trade. But would it have made the owners as much money as having a nightclub there... definately not so who can blame them !!

Wonder what will happen to Smiths when the Brigde Street Quarter plan starts to emerge ? Will the council compulsory purchase it OUCH or will they just leave the nightclub there and work around it or was a nighclub on the cards anyway so it has saved the council from having to buy it and make one.

Wish I'd have had enough to buy it when it was auctioned... not sure what I would have turned it into.... maybe a swimming baths or perhaps better still a massive tattoo parlour with a lap dancing club serving soft drinks only and a brothel just to annoy people :lol:

Better than a night club as people would leave swiftly after going so as not be be spotted and would keep their heads down low and out of trouble for fear of being in the press... what would the wife say :wink:

Diz you’re making it sound like people don’t do the traditional things like cinema any more but I think you might be surprised. If you need any proof, just try finding a parking place on a Wednesday night at the Odeon at Westbrook! Much the same with the swimming baths, Forton this morning again car park almost full and that’s at 9am!

Now to my way of thinking, if somewhere like Westbrook can attract x amount of people, then a central location should attract even more provided a few basic conditions can be met. First off, a large single screen venue doesn’t work any more so it would need a major bit of rework. Secondly, as well as bus stops, there needs to be ample free parking near to the venue and finally a twenty foot high electrified fence and moat separating the area from Bridge Street.

Bill :)

Sorry Bill I wasn't taking into account OAP times and special rates for the unemployed... or those out of work :lol:

I like the idea of the electrified fences and a moat by the way. Maybe Warrington needs a huge ones of each around it's whole border but whether that is to keep people out or people in is questionable :wink:

Hey I probably am the oldest one at the cinema these days but I'd say the vast majority are teenagers. I went to see the planet of the apes last week and they were literally turning the kids away because all their shows were fully booked up so clearly a demand.

So turning the question arround, when did you last go?

Hey I probably am the oldest one at the cinema these days but I'd say the vast majority are teenagers. I went to see the planet of the apes last week and they were literally turning the kids away because all their shows were fully booked up so clearly a demand.

So turning the question arround, when did you last go?

You know what Bill I can't actually remember :oops:

I recall watching the likes of 'Bugs Life', 'Antz', 'Toy Story' and a 'Harry Potter' at Westbook but can't for the life of me remember what I've seen since then.

My son (a teenager) hasn't been for a couple of years since it cost him £10 to get home in a taxi as the busses had stopped running and he'd spent all his money apart from the allocated bus far so I had to pay the taxi driver when he got home :unsure:

Like Peter says these films (or blockbuster movies as they are often called) are shown on the TV, Sky Movies or available on DVD pretty quickly and that is a lot cheaper than going to the cinema.... not as much fun though I suppose.

Sad how times change eh as I used to love going to the cinema when I was younger and I guess it was not only because of the social side of us all going together but also because it felt like something special and a 'treat' for want of a better word.

Ahh perhaps that's where it all went wrong... I started to age (gracefuly of course) and reaslised it wasn't so much of a special treat and outing at all...we were being ripped off.. DAMN !!!

Same as ten pin bowling... We used to love going there too until the prices went OTT and yet again if you don't drive it's a pain in the bum to get to.

Ahh to be young again without any cares..... can we have the roller rink back now please :lol:

PS... re: Planet of the Apes.. Peter was in it did you spot him :lol:(sorry Peter only kidding :P )

I agree that a town centre cinema is needed.

I'm not old enough to remember the Mr Smiths building being a cinema but I am old enough to remember the Odeon on Buttermarket street. What a shame the place was demolished. I know that when it was knocked down in 1994 there was not much demand for a cinema at the time but imagine if they stuck with it? It would be a thriving little business now.

What has happened to the cinema meant to be built on Winwick Street? This area badly needs doing.

Only time will tell with the new Mr Smiths. It was always packed when I went in there. (not since the 90's) But the 24 hour drink trade killed it. It is a very nice building and would suit being a theatre or cinema but I think its days as a nightclub are over.

As a teenager if i want to go to the cinema, i go to altrincham, as do most people living in the grappenhall/lymm/thelwall area. Getting a bus into town and out again to westbrook does not appeal. There are plenty of young people who would use a cinema in warrington

The introduction of 24 hour drinking killed it off, with all the other pubs now being open well into the early hours, whereas, previously, it was literally the only place in Town open at those times. Would have loved to have seen it turned into a cinema again, as I think this tiown is crying out for a Town centre cinema complex, to bring in teh families.

British Food