Erwood ST.

Stallard12

Just took a look at my old construction company offices and workshop on 'Earth'. It's on the corner of Haydock St. and Erwood St. Apparently it is now something called The Lodge. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what The Lodge is?

Did they really build two more bridges at Bridgefoot? Or is it just an artisits impression?

I don’t know what the Lodge is but quite a few of the older buildings in the area have been renovated and made into office units.

As for the bridge / bridges, well your half right I suppose in that they only built one new bridge and kept the original. Whenever I drive through the area and cross the newer bridge, I never get the sense of actually going over a bridge because it’s all just part of a huge roundabout where you need to pay full attention to what lane you're in.

Bill :)

it is office buildings occupied by a management firm and part o tannery court which houses the alzheimers society, a job seekers place that helps people to find work and the assesment centre for DWP/jobcentre which assesses your ability to carry out work and get you off sickness benefit.

Thanks for the info - I was hoping that it may be some kind of exotic nightclub! This may be of interest. We rented those premises from the Co-Op. That particular building was the stables for the horses that pulled the milk carts all around Warrington in the forties and early fifties. The interior was lined with 'blue brick' that was harder than steel. It was impossible to drill the walls for shelve brackets, the normal masonary drills wouldn't make a mark on it. At the time we were there, the surrounding building was the base for the electric milk floats.

This may be of interest. We rented those premises from the Co-Op. That particular building was the stables for the horses that pulled the milk carts all around Warrington in the forties and early fifties. The interior was lined with 'blue brick' that was harder than steel. It was impossible to drill the walls for shelve brackets, the normal masonary drills wouldn't make a mark on it. At the time we were there, the surrounding building was the base for the electric milk floats.

OK so daft Dizzy question as usual....

Which building did you rent Stallard? Was it the one one right on the corner of Erwood and Haydock or the seperate one slightly up Erwood Street. Only reason I ask is that the seperate one on the image below is actually still called 'The Stables' and is home to a few businesses such as a Picture Framing Gallery, a Photographers, a Pest Control company and a Fire place company (although not sure if that is still there). As far as I am aware that is the building where the horses were kept (obviously or it probably wouldn't be called the stables I guess :oops: ).

The alzheimers etc are in the other larger building on the corner (which like you say is now called 'The Lodge'... so were 'the lodge' and the Stables always seperate or were they once joined? Bit late to be making a phone call now to find out and it will frustrate me now... why... I don't know... it just will :lol:

erwoodstreetstables.jpg

Dizzy, the building right on the corner was our piece of heaven. In fact, if you look at street level you will see the entrance door on the chamfered off corner. We rented those premises right at the start of our business life and my business partner and myself actually cut and fitted that door into the brick on a weekend. No mean feat with those bricks. It enabled us to install a stairway up to the first floor, which became our offices.

At one time, the stables ran the length of Erwood St. and the entrance to the parking lot is the original gateway to what was the cobbled area where the horses were 'dressed'. It later became our outside welding area.

Thanks for that Stallard12 :shock:

I thought the stables must have been adjoined at some time from what you and Harry had said, so now I know :D

I wonder (hint hint) if you, Harry, Algy or anyone one else reading has any old photo's of what it used to be like as I'd love to see them.

I just have a thing about horses as my grandad used to breed shire horses (or was it my great grandad...brain freeze :oops: ) and I think my mums uncle had something to do with horses too... double brain freeze :oops:

...and of course I have an obsession with seeing and hearing about what things used to be like around Warrington in the 'older' days :wink:

I grew up on the farms around Woolston and horses were still part of daily life and 'mucking out' still a daily chore. I mentioned the Co-op milk horses, but the Co-op also sent horse drawn grocery vans and bread vans out as far as Woolston. The most entertaining time though, was getting them dressed up for Walking Day. It started off with a scrubbing down with a stiff yard brush and a hosepipe. Nothing like seeing a full-sized Shire horse up on its back legs, pawing the air, while it's belly was being scrubbed. Better be out of the way when those giant shod hooves clattered down onto the cobbles. Then plaited mane and tail, coat brushed to a shine and hooves polished. Then we started on the tack.........

Sounds amazing Stallard12 and I'd give anything to do that every day. Hard work no doubt on the scale of a shire horse but lovely all the same (well to me anyway apart from the fact that I get hayfever :lol:)

I sometimes wish we could go back to having horses rather than cars and vans. Infact I really miss the rag and bone man that I remember coming down our road when I was a kidie. Something magical about him on his cart pulled by his scruffy black horse as he shouted 'ragabooooon' in a melodic way.

A sudden "harry's happy days" moment for me there :D

I guess that those of us from the 30's, 40's and 50's were just on the cusp. We caught the remmnants of the Victorian age and have surely witnessed some mind boggling changes. I used to ride to the fruit/ veg market on Queens Street, every Wednesday, sat on the edge of a horse drawn cart, taking lettuce, cauliflower, cabbage and onions from the Woolston Moss farm. Rubber tires thank God! Steam wagons still ran up and down Manchester road and at night, they were a sight to see. Burning embers spilling from the ash pan and rolling down the road like Roman Candles.