Police Helicopter

Sheila_P

Was anyone else disturbed by the Police helicopter last night? It woke me after midnight and carried on circling for ages. The noise was unbelievable.

It was some distance from us, I'm guessing it might have been in Padgate. Heaven help those on its flight path!

Does anyone know what was happening?

Didn’t think we had more than one, maybe we have? I’m in Paddington and always sleep with the window open but I didn’t hear anything.

I remember once getting too tired to drive and checked into a motorway motel. I’d only just nodded off when the police helicopter decided to park itself directly over my room for what seemed like most of the night. So looking on the bright side, at least you weren’t sixty quid out of pocket on the deal. :angry:

Oh and a well done to Knitter with your first post. Here’s hoping that you stick around and join in a bit.

Bill :)

hi Shiela_P...hope you don't mind but I have move this topic to the 'local issues' section rather than where it was ie 'find family and friends'... unless of course the police heli was looking for friends and family :unsure::wink:

Could do with deleting from other forum as it appears on the front page twice otherwise :wink:

I saw and heard it, I'd guess it was over the Padgate area.

Can't think why but I was prompted to muse about the cost of keeping that thing up there, and the last time I'd seen a bobby on the beat.

From what I've read elsewhere, it was over Vulcan Close.

I know what you mean about the cost. It must be eye-watering.

The police helicopter has hovered over us a few times in the past month. I guess it's just psycological but I always wonder if they actually caught whoever it was the were looking for or not and so does everyone else round here so you tend to worry as you don't know what it was.

I've never see anything reported on local news pages after the events (not having a go at Gary by the way) and there is never anything on local radio either so we are all just left 'wondering or worrying' until people stop talking about it and we forget.

It might put people's minds at rest especially the elderly and nervous if they actually said somewhere why the heli was up and what the outcome was.... (or maybe it wouldn't if they didn't catch the blighters).

Infact it would be good if they actually warned people about known crimes in an area quicker too than they do now so at least people are aware.

Only reason I say that is that there was a house broken into over the Grappenhall area recently to get the keys to their car which was then pinched and again last week two cars on Knutsford Road (Grappenhall) had their windows smashed too during the night. Again no reports of these anywhere.

... and if there are any typo's in all that waffle it's cos my eyes are watering and I can't see what I'm doing or read what I put :blink::oops:

There were definitely police twitter feeds in action during the riots in London, and they must have been there in advance for people to know about them.

They were giving out info on areas to avoid, road closures in the aftermath, arrests that had been made - that sort of thing. Word then spread via news websites, text, and facebook.

All in all a very powerful and cost effective communication and PR tool for them.

Gotta fight fire with fire!

But in more peaceful times you could have tweets about what the helicopter crew has been doing, why such and such a road was closed, any info which might help people be aware of and avoid what sort of crime is happening at the moment, reminders of police open meetings. All for free, and with a potential audience covering an entire force's area.

The key would be to keep most of it fairly local, of course - no point having just one feed swamped with stuff from the whole of Cheshire - but some things (like maybe an accident on the M6) could appear on multiple feeds across a wider area.

I'm not a twitter user myself because I've no interest in receiving updates on what Z list celebs have had for breakfast, but information based services from the likes of the police and highways people would probably interest me.

...anywhere in particular Peter or 'just' on facelessbook somewhere in general for only those who know where to look and who are a friend of friends of people they have never heard of by way of 'group value or distant association' :blink:

Anyway.. you know my views about FB so back to the police helicopter .......

Nothing wrong with FB Dizzy. It depends how you want to use it. I know people over in Fearnhead and they happened to mention that the helicopter was hovering over their houses. Not a lot different from local updates on here. :wink:

Another useful piece of information is that VPX have their own slot on FB where the pictures are uploaded. :P

That may have had something to do with the seven fires that took place in the area. Obviously someone was starting them so I suppose the chopper was out looking for them.

Odd that I heard about this on the national news this morning but theres nothing being reported here?

Bill :)

It was wandering around the bewsey/sankey valley/hospital area for most of last night.

First noticed it about half ten (thought it was the dog snoring at first)

woke up at about two ish and it was still hovering around and Mrs sid said she heard it hovering about around half four ish,