Queen Street.

algy

Ahhh there's something else I've learnt thanks to you Algy. They're not that old really (dated 1984) and it never occurred to me that they were anything 'war' like. Gosh all these things going on as I grew up that I had no idea of.

What's a "spy lane" though. History is not one of my strong points :oops:

Morning Dizz,

Spy planes - the Russians had the Myasishchev M-55 and the US the U2 both capable of flight above 70,000 ft and in theory beyond the range of missile attack although the US lost a U2 to a missile over Russia in 1960 the pilot Gary Powers was captured then later exchanged for a captured Russian spy. The U2 was a photographic reconnaissance plane whereas the M55 was designed as a flying radio mast and armed to shoot down US spy balloons sent over Russian territory, The Russian maps were probably compiled from satellite photos.

Blimey Harry that’s really spooky. I remember every single one of those things like it was yesterday, maybe you’re not as old as you say or maybe I’m older than I think. That’d explain several things! :D

Moving away from Orford Park and back to Small Avenue. I think that road must have been built well before many of the other roads because I distinctly recall playing on the building sites. The good part was that although Orford was a huge council estate, the part where I grew up was right adjacent several of the old farms (Whites and Pillings are two names I remember) and several other buildings that predated the estates. The Orford Tannery with all its housing was just through the ally way on Sandy Lane, so even as a kid, there was always that sense of wonder about the past.

I remember the prefabs on Capesthorn Road, in fact my parents were good friends with the people that lived in the first one (directly opposite Povey Road). That was probably fifty odd years ago but even so, I had a very nice message on the forum from their daughter who remembered us moving into the area and her father helping to move the coal from the old to the new house. As you always say Harry, happy days! :wink:

I think I've managed to find the site Algy's using for the maps so a bit less effort needed, thanks again Algy. It'd be interesting to see dizzy's link to the Ruskies web-site.

Bill :)

Got it now thanks. I didn't spot it was a pull down list so I've only been looking at the oldest maps. :blink:

Bill :)

Glad you found it Bill with a bit of 'fiddling',Print Screen and adjustment with decent photo editing software you can finish up with a reasonable and readable copy of the maps. Here's a tip, when entering an area in the search box, try being specific ie. rather than typing Warrington insert the area you require eg. Orford, Warrington, alternatively when the site page displays with the modern map, enlarge the size and click on the exact spot you are looking for this will result in the old maps displaying the specific area (if available) you are searching for rather than displaying just Warrington.

Ooops I Didn't know you could click on the modern map.... good hint Algy :D

I was typing in road names and found quite a few though which looking at the older maps sort of buggered up my family tree 'head image' as where I thought my ancesters lived wasn't quite where I thought after all.

Frustrating though as some of the roads I'm looking for don't exist on today's map so it couldn't find them. Guess I'll just have to view all the old maps for the areas bit by bit to hopfully find where they were.

Should keep me quiet and out of trouble though :wink:

Warrington seems to have had a heck of a lot of tanneries which could explain why ALL my ancestors were tanners. Flip there was me thinking they must have been a close nit family and and all worked together and passing their trade onto their kids who then worked in the same tannery as them.

Why were there so many tanners and where did they get all their hides from and what did they make or did they just process them and ship them off too elsewhere.

Dizz, did you manage to sort the maps of Latchford out if not I can help out, only got one photo though.

Here they are anyway, six map sections of Latchford from Bridgefoot to opposite the weir 1851 just download them, print off and stitch them together. Anyone else interested help yourselves.

latchford1.jpg

latchford2.jpg

latchford3.jpg

latchford4.jpg

latchford5.jpg

latchford6.jpg

Direct download link to photobucket codes

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford1.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford2.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford3.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford4.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford5.jpg

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af19/algyb/Warrington%20old%20maps/latchford6.jpg

Dizz, here's four photos of buildings at the junction of St James St (Knutsford Rd to be) and Wilderspool

Rd., immediately as you leave the south end of the Mersey bridge and after departing from town.

1. the corner of the properties being demolished were facing the bridge in Map 1. and would be replaced by the shops on what was to be known as 'Gaults Corner, in my humble opinion they went from bad to worse although perhaps the original buildings were falling down?.

JunctionofKnutsfordRdWilderspoolRd.jpg

2.The Bridge Inn is on the left of the bridge (facing) in Map1.

TheBridgeInnWilderspoolRoadBridgeFoot-1.jpg

3.These buildings were to the right of the bridge (facing) in Map1..

WarringtonBridgeFootKnutsfordRdtheCenotaphwouldbebuilttotheleftofthebuildingleft.jpg

4.Shops/houses in Wilderspool Rd. opposite the Bridge Inn in Map1.

1902postWilderspoolRdviewedfromBridgeFoottheBridgeInnrightNortonArmsleftbytherailwaycrossings.jpg