Anyone remember these ...

Dizzy

Any of you more mature people on here remember seeing these local chaps playing in Warrington ?

They were a group called Jimmy Horn and the Hornets and they played weekly in many of the local music/dance halls in Warrington in the late 50's early 60's.

Some of the places they performed were the Parr Hall, The Bath's Hall (ie Warrington Swimming baths in town which had a floor that was placed over one of the pools to make it into a dance hall), Carlton Club, Co-op Hall, Fletchers, Burton Wood Airbase and Vulcan Village Recreation Club

photo1.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo3.jpg

Remember the style well Dizzy. I never missed a Saturday night at the places you mentioned between 1955 and 1960, but unfortunately I can't remember ever having seen this group. By the way, with a 150 couples 'jiving' to The Wood Chopper's Ball, that maple floor over the Baths could toss you two feet into the air !!!!!

Sounds like fun Stallard12 :lol: My aunt and uncle used to go dancing at the baths and I though they were kidding about the floor over the pool.

What was the Wood Choppers Ball though? Was it a song, a group or a dance ?:oops:

Jimmy Horn and the Hornets (what a strange name)did apparently have a big following in their day though but what's the betting none read Warrington Worldwide forum :lol:

Wood Choppers Ball was Woody Herman's (American big band) greatest hit. As the guys say, a great dance tune, my wife and I still 'jitterbug' to it at our dinner club on Saturdday night. Wilf Rigby band played it at the Bath's, which by the way was only converted to a dance hall - chlorine smell as well - during the wintertime. The last few bars of the tune rise to a crescendo and appear to get faster, it was a thrilling sight to see the two back rows of the band, trumpets and trombones, all stand and swing their instruments as the tune reached its frenetic conclusion. Phew, getting me excited here.....

Way to go Algy !!!! A word to anyone who plays Algy's video, don't get bored with the jazz solos in the middle of the piece, be sure to catch the end. The feet of those jiving or jitterbugging to it never touched the floor over those last few bars - we were (and still are)flying.

Are you on a high Stallard12 :lol:

I can't say that clip actually appealed to me music wise but then I have never experienced the likes of the jiving and jitterbugging dance halls and clubs and the fun that obviously went with that type of music at the time.

Maybe it will all come back into fashion now as most things do sooner or later so maybe Warrington should be one step ahead and turn the now closed Mr Smiths/Halo club into a Jitter Jive Club. Anyone up for a night out if they do :D

Where was the Alla Club Peter ? You are right though I do seem to have missed out on some great days by the sounds of it.

It was Mr Smiths and battering people in the figure of 8 'skittles' game at the Warrington's roller rink in my days. Not skittles like you think.. these were all the other not so brave or quick skaters which were sent flying at high speed at intersection.

Anyway, back to my original question about the band that no-one seems to remember.

They started off as an un-named trio (sax, guitariest and piano) and played every Saturday at the Boathouse (Pub?) in Runcorn before becoming the 6 piece band known as Jimmy Horn and the Hornets playing weekly all over Warrington.... and they had a huge local following for the few years they were together (allegidely but clearly none of you :lol: )

They played rock 'n roll and and appeared on Radio on the Carroll Levis Discovery Show.

So after all that... all I was about to ask is does anyone know if there are any online archived versions of this show to listen too? Algy.. have you any idea as I know you were searching for old radio shows a while ago and I'd love to hear what these chaps sounded like :D

This apparently was one of their most played and popular songs.... (not them playing this version though obviously).

This is the original by Lord Rockingham's XI - Hoots Mon (which reached number one on 28 November 1958 and stayed there for 3 weeks.... might get your feet tapping again Stallard12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pspVsSZ-nuo

Wine gums anyone......... :unsure:

Sorry Dizz, can't find anything regarding recordings of the Carroll Lewis Discovery radio show on the net, one of the forums I visited had a member searching for a show as his dad had appeared on one show but seemingly there are none available to the public, probably deep in the BBC archives.

I may be wrong here but was Jimmy Horn the pianist as I'm sure I recognize him from Latchford, there were a Horn family how had a shop around about Slater Street I think the girls were into ballet and I'm sure the lad was in a band? :blink:

I hope I've got these right....

Piano - Jimmy Horn

Sax - Jock

Sax - Bernie Leigh

Drums - Harold

Singer - Tony

Guitarist - the forum's very own.....

post-1180-0-42841300-1311770208_thumb.jpg

I'm going to be in so much trouble now and I can't believe he's not noticed this topic yet :unsure::lol:

Dizzy, The British Aluminium Club (the Alla) Grange Av. Latchford, just up from the Hard Labour Club. That used to be the Labour Club.

Payday on a Friday, meet at the Alla at 2pm and then into the Labour Club at 3pm when the Alla closed. Happy Days.

Well, beggar me !! I've not been on the Forum for a few days and thought that I would catch. What have you been up to Dizzy ? It's taken me over fifty years to get over Rockin' and Rollin', excessive drinking and smoking and fighting off all the female "groupies". I have changed...........honest I have.

P.S. Dizzy, do you remember when you.................no, better not mention it !!

Quiet little Victor eh :lol:

Serves you right for not coming on the forum more often :P

AND YES I PROBABLY DO AND DON'T YOU DARE (especially if it's anything to do with the flow of water down paths or ..... !! )

This topic has been on for so long I guess it's dead now. Still, I'll stick it on. When I heard 'Alla' club, I thought it might be the Brit Alum club. Back in about 1956, a group of us apprentices at the 'Alla', formed an apprentice association. The management gave us permission to use the facilities at the social club. It was the days of the skiffle groups and Tuesday night dances, so we jumped on the bandwagon and started holding them in the hall at the club. We were very successful and built up quite a association bank account. After about six months, the committee running the main club came to us and demanded that we turn over our profits to them. They were losing money and thought that we should support them. They also took over the organisation of the dances and we faded into history. So, if you ever had a good time at the 'Alla' club - say thank you !!!!! As Dizzy says, ha ha.

• 2 years later...
Sorry Dizz, can't find anything regarding recordings of the Carroll Lewis Discovery radio show on the net, one of the forums I visited had a member searching for a show as his dad had appeared on one show but seemingly there are none available to the public, probably deep in the BBC archives.

I may be wrong here but was Jimmy Horn the pianist as I'm sure I recognize him from Latchford, there were a Horn family how had a shop around about Slater Street I think the girls were into ballet and I'm sure the lad was in a band? blink.gif

It's not Carroll Lewis, Algy, it's Carroll Levis: http://whirligigtv.yuku.com/topic/9299/Carroll-Levis-Discoveries