Gary

Comment facility on main site

I think the 'rules' are getting a bit hard on posters - especially as some of the 'quotes' you've been reporting recently in the news articles have been aimed at and quite insulting to others. It is hard not to respond to these quotes in the same style.

People coming out and publicly having a go at each other in a news article is a little different to nameless and faceless posters hiding behind emailed comments on a forum or website!

To all of you who feel aggrieved...........You had your freedom, some of you abused it and now you will just have to put up with it.

That is an end to the matter.

I am no longer 'aggrieved' ... I wouldn't dare be now :lol:

I'd just like to say to the people who apparently abused the facility.. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR SPOILING IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE !!!!!! :roll::evil:

End of ...... !!

I am no longer 'aggrieved' ... I wouldn't dare be now :lol:

I'd just like to say to the people who apparently abused the facility.. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR SPOILING IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE !!!!!! :roll::evil:

End of ...... !!

So as Mrs Merton would say if you want a heated debate get your comments in before home time :mrgreen:

Our administartors have and continue to do a very good job. After years of trying to get debate on the front page it's now taken off BUT the flame wars that occurred on the discussion forum have followed onto the front page where all can see - something that the Rock God must control for the well being of his on-line news.

Well done Gary for taking a stance on this - it's a great example for my University of Chester - MSC Information dissertation. :wink:

Creep :lol: ... I'M ONLY KIDDING !!

Or as Miss Dizzy would say... register on the forum too if you want to have your say and 'discuss' something especially if it's out of hours :D:wink:

I guess I must have missed seeing all the nasty comments that you mention on the news pages before they were removed ... so I appologise to Gary and Admin for my little whinges about the 'new way' :oops:

Our politicians are such sensitive namby-pamby's. I thought that with that job, you had to have the skin of a rhinoceros.

People have called me all my life, NO big deal. :roll:

People have called me all my life, NO big deal. :roll:

....and no big suprise either! :D

:lol::lol:

Well going by the latest approved comments on one of the news page items Clr xx is still getting a bit of a bashing bashing and also some questioning although his replies in return seem to have gone somewhat quieter. Maybe he's in the queue or has been silenced from his peers :unsure: Nice that he commented under his own name though.

It would be even 'nicer' if all these more vocal councillors who like to hit the headlines all the time could be more like Clr Geoff, past poster Clr Paul and the person called WBCouncil and actually posted on the forum occasionally.... it would make them seem more human and more interested in the local things that are being discussed if they actually took the time to engage with us mere mortals.

Guess it will never happen though eh :?

I read the front page and the comments most days and I’ve never ever seen anything that I thought was objectionable. That said, I tend not to read the political stuff and for sure that’s where most of the comments seem to be made. I also don’t ever recall seeing any spam on the comments and as spam doesn’t tend to be politically aware, we must either have really on the ball editors or spamming isn’t quite the big issue it’s being made out to be.

Bill :)

I suppose it depends on what you class as being spam, not all spam is automated as I guess you must know being into IT and forums yourself.

Maybe, as there were no checks on the news page, the same people were commenting using different names and/or false email addresses to fight their own corner so to speak or maybe it was something else. I dont actually know the reasons behind the new way or the facts but I guess Admin must or they wouldn't be doing it and creating more work for themselves.

Did you ever notice many spammers on the forum pages Bill ?

Diz The way I see it is spam is a bit like the litter problem in that while it’s annoying it’s not a huge problem provided there’s someone there to keep on top of it. On the forums I’ve run in the past, there wasn’t that much spam at all and very few posts needed to be edited or deleted. From memory, I don’t think there were even any posting restrictions but that said, none contained political or religious stuff.

My guess is that someone has pushed a bit too far with the responses on the political front and that party’s press release people have snapped back. For sure some of the responses on the forum seemed to be targeting certain political figures and getting quite personal. I think it’s one thing to comment on an individual politician but to start threads and polls to do this is in my mind pushing at the limits.

I note the Guardian reports very often have no comment facility on subjects that might attract adverse responses and while that could be argued is a form of censorship, at least it provides a degree of protection for the business.

I read the front page and the comments most days and I’ve never ever seen anything that I thought was objectionable. That said, I tend not to read the political stuff and for sure that’s where most of the comments seem to be made. I also don’t ever recall seeing any spam on the comments and as spam doesn’t tend to be politically aware, we must either have really on the ball editors or spamming isn’t quite the big issue it’s being made out to be.

I would like to point out that most of the offensive comments are put on after they have appeared on the front page - especially by the spammers.

Thye are deleted by me before most people get to see them - and now they will never appear.

With the old forum and the early days of this one spammers were registering at a rate of about one every 15 minutes but between Dizzy, Peter and myself most got deleted before you or anyone else saw them.

Now spending a few minutes a day approving comments before they appear on the main pages is better than spending hours trying to defuse potentially explosive situations!

Ohh the good old days eh Gary... yes I remember well sitting at my pc virtually none stop when you temprarily upped me to Forum Admin for a week while you were on holiday... it felt like a non stop battle deleting and blocking newly registered spammers every few minutes on the forum site. I also clearly remember some of the more obscure ones and their registered web links too :shock::oops:

A few sneaked through the net and managed to post but like you say the vast majority (and it was vast) were always manually intercepted before anyone ever saw them. I lost count of how many I personally did in just one week and I guess Peter must have done just as many as me. :shock: No wonder you were often stressed :blink:

I guess that's what happens when you have a very popular forum and new website which is always alive and being added too and of course which is viewed by a huge number of guests as well as members.. the spammers work to find a way in because it's so popular :evil:

Thank goodness for the new forum registering process eh as that seems to have scuppered them as none get through anymore (although I am rather bored now).

Keep up the good work Gary and although I moaned about the news page ways I appreciate why you have had to do it now :wink:

The reason there were so many spammers on in the old days was because the site didn't use good enough captcha software. I had tha same on my corsair forum until we upped the defences to include having to make a small jigsaw as part of the registration process. Now we only get genuine people applying (maybe 5 a week) instead of 100 a day without the correct defence

Ah so it really is a genuine spamming issue then, I stand well and truly corrected. :huh: I just assumed that because I’d never seen any spam and given that you couldn’t possibly spam-catching 24/7 it must have only been on the stuff I never look at.

I always had you down as a man who never liked to miss anything Bill so you really suprised me there when you say there are things you don't look at :lol::wink:

I guess Baz is not going to tell us all what his forum's called though incase we all join that too.. watch out Baz we may all be looking for you now and registering under odd names. I'll be something like z$£^&$@theweirdstalkerdizzyplace.com :wink::lol:

There are many areas of the forum and sections of the news that just don’t interest me. I’m still a bit intrigued about this though. My definition of spam is someone coming onto the forum with the intention of getting some free advertising but I’ve never come across spam of the abusive variety?

Does it matter :lol:

I tend to call all forms of 'it' a specific word .. but for forum politeness I simply refer to them as all as 'spam(ers)' on here :wink:

Since an email address which is kept private has to be supplied when a comment is submitted would it not be possible to have regular contributors email addresses classed as "trusted contributors" - and have their comments posted directly? A fairly large proportion of comments seem to come from a relatively small pool of contributors, so this would cut down on the amount of vetting required.

I quite often comment in the wee small hours when I'm working nights and, as Gary has said - he has to sleep some time - so it's understandably often the following morning before my comment goes up.

"Trusted" status could, of course, be revoked at any time by admin if for example someone oversteps the line and doesn't heed a warning.