Comment facility on main site

Gary

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea about 'trusted' people Inky but I don't get how that would work but that's due to me not knowing how Gary does it.

But surely if say you (trusted) posted a comment, Eagle (trusted) replied and so on and they went straight on you'd have other people who may have replied to yours or a new comment stuck in the queue all frustrated seeing some going on but not theirs. Wouldn't that get even more confusing and how would Gary know where to put their comments ?

Must admit I was rather confused when I replied to a comment about the farmer wanting to build a bungalow. I pressed submit and it apeared after a few minutes but there were suddenly three new ones before mine. Thankfully we were all saying slightly different things so it still 'flowed' ok :lol:

There is no way of having trusted comments on the system we are running and I am not inclined to spend hours upon hours tweaking parts of the site until it becomes financially viable to put the hours in.

I think you all need to start appreciating what you have got and use it sensibly and realise that Gary can't be here 24/7 and does have a life away from here.

You will not find many news websites where any of the staff are interactive with the readership on a daily basis - let alone the Managing Director! :blink:

Gary... I'm sure everyone does appreciate the fact that you and your staff put an awful lot of hard work and time into the website and the forum and that you are also a the managing director. I certainly appreciate it all so .. THANKS :D

But really this topic is just like any other where we are all having a chat about something, in this case something new, and Inky's idea was a good one although not feasible or as you say 'viable'.

Due to my frame of mind today I was tempted to say that maybe you should appreciate us a little too and remember that we also have lives but chose to spend quite a lot of it on here and without us regulars there wouldn't really be much going on on the forum pages a lot of the time (and news pages too sometimes by way of comments)... but I wont say it as you might ban me :?

Just incase you do.... thanks again Gary :D

Due to my frame of mind today I was tempted to say that maybe you should appreciate us a little too and remember that we also have lives but chose to spend quite a lot of it on here and without us regulars there wouldn't really be much going on on the forum pages a lot of the time (and news pages too sometimes by way of comments)... but I wont say it as you might ban me :?

Just incase you do.... thanks again Gary :D

What makes you think we don't appreciate our readers?

Am I not allowed to say something isn't viable? :unsure:

My comments were merely based on what was in your reply and the way you worded it Gary :huh::wink:

Of course you are allowed to say something isn't viable by the way. I said 'feasible'... you said 'viable' so I merely used both words in my reply, that's all.

As to 'what makes me think you don't appreciate your readers'... I didn't say 'readers' as without your many readers there would be no point in you having your website and being in business would there? So of course you appreciate your readers.

I however was referring to regulars on here which I suppose I should have called 'regular posters' so as not to cause confusion. Of course 'we' are all still readers too but in a slightly different way. I suppose you could call us 'buyers' rather than 'window shoppers'.

Of course there were, and still are, many other readers who only ever interacted and posted comments on the news pages (mainly when certain types of stories came up) but they seem to have gone a bit quieter now... what should I call those ?... Anyway, we the more regular 'buyers' are still here for you keeping this forum alive and well.

Well you did ask and it is the first week in August, which always tends to be my most truthful and vocal part of the year.

So do you appreciate us all ie your regular forum/news page posters (buyers) or what as you never say so? Don't feel you have to tell to us all in public right now as I know how hard that can be sometimes especailly for a man, but a simple small, inexpensive but meaningful present for each of us will do nicely and we will say no more about it.

I wonder what mine will be... two fingers and another warning or a ban I guess :lol::wink: Not to worry :shock:

Keep up the good work Gary but do try to not get so stressed out about it all, it's not good for your health and also makes you sound grumpy :wink::P

My comments were merely based on what was in your reply and the way you worded it Gary :huh::wink:

Of course you are allowed to say something isn't viable by the way. I said 'feasible'... you said 'viable' so I merely used both words in my reply, that's all.

As to 'what makes me think you don't appreciate your readers'... I didn't say 'readers' as without your many readers there would be no point in you having your website and being in business would there? So of course you appreciate your readers.

I however was referring to regulars on here which I suppose I should have called 'regular posters' so as not to cause confusion. Of course 'we' are all still readers too but in a slightly different way. I suppose you could call us 'buyers' rather than 'window shoppers'.

Of course there were, and still are, many other readers who only ever interacted and posted comments on the news pages (mainly when certain types of stories came up) but they seem to have gone a bit quieter now... what should I call those ?... Anyway, we the more regular 'buyers' are still here for you keeping this forum alive and well.

Well you did ask and it is the first week in August, which always tends to be my most truthful and vocal part of the year.

So do you appreciate us all ie your regular forum/news page posters (buyers) or what as you never say so? Don't feel you have to tell to us all in public right now as I know how hard that can be sometimes especailly for a man, but a simple small, inexpensive but meaningful present for each of us will do nicely and we will say no more about it.

I wonder what mine will be... two fingers and another warning or a ban I guess :lol::wink: Not to worry :shock:

Keep up the good work Gary but do try to not get so stressed out about it all, it's not good for your health and also makes you sound grumpy :wink::P

I suppose the most scary thing out of all this is seeing Bill agreeing with you! :blink:

I think Gary your rather missing the point. There’s a two way process going on here but you don’t seem to be giving any credit or acknowledgement for what the regular posters do for you or bring to your business. Nobody’s trying to tell you how to run your business but whenever there’s any suggestion that things might be better or done differently, you always seem to go onto the defensive and tell us to appreciated what you do for us and it’s 100% predictable!

But back on the subject of having to scrutinize posts, I’m not privy to what went on but given there’s a virtually identical situation kicking off on the other forum, my guess is that one of the regular press release agencies has complained. I don’t boil my cabbages twice so here’s what I said on the other forum

You might not be trying to stop free speech but it doesn’t look good when the right to reply is restricted to all but the most mundane issues.

No website that allows a public response should ever be held responsible for public comment provided reasonable safeguards are in place to prevent unwanted material being shown and it’s the interpretation of what’s reasonable that’s the key issue here.

Take you chip shop issue for example. A defamatory comment was made which was rightly removed but how long did it take you to remove it? If your doing your job, the chances of the chip shop owner reading that before you should be incredibly slim and in any case, even if they did manage to read it, provided you removed it in a reasonable time then they should have absolutely no grounds for complaint.

You might talk the talk when it comes to freedom of speech but when it comes down to it, you’re just not prepared to accept the responsibility or deal with it’s practicalities.

The bottom line is it’s a business and time and effort cost money so why even make the effort when it’s far easier just to point the finger of blame at the public and the legal profession?

If there’s a problem then deal with it but don’t point the finger at everyone and tell us to be sensible!

Bill :)

they are all blokes so clearly I'm not one of them

How do we know that? You could be anyone....... why I even have my suspicions that Kije is actually a waitress from Solihull called Wendy.....and that Obs used to be a member of the Labour Party!!

:lol: Ah the days of permed hair. I had mine done once but rather than the shaggy rock chick look I asked for it came out more like the long length golliwog look. I certainly never had a mustache though ... but I did have a couple of shell suits :lol::oops:

Seems this topic has gone of track now, well done Geoff :wink: