Comment facility on main site

Gary

For any one now leaving comments under stories you will have to wait for a member of our admin team to approve them.

Unfortunately there have been a growing number of spammers using the facility and also an increasing number of inappropriate or abusive comments being made.

We will endeavour to validate comments ASAP and apologies for any inconvenience.

We had hoped the facility would self moderate but unfortunately there are some real numpties out there! :angry:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to complain thinking that it would be a pain and there might be a delay in comments going on now and people might not check back on the same news story to read ...

BUT my comment on the Appretices news article got approved and added within a minute so that's ok. I might post more often now under news stories to keep Admin busy :lol::lol:

yes it was.... I even posted on here about it and posted the jpg of the letters/numbers that it gave me to copy. Everyone who replied said the numbers/letters were what I had entered....but didn't work. The software is rubbish that checks the replies to the image shown!

I may be many things Gary (handsome, witty, good looking etc....) but blind I certainly aint!!

yes it was.... I even posted on here about it and posted the jpg of the letters/numbers that it gave me to copy. Everyone who replied said the numbers/letters were what I had entered....but didn't work. The software is rubbish that checks the replies to the image shown!

I may be many things Gary (handsome, witty, good looking etc....) but blind I certainly aint!!

I've never had a problem with the codes, unless I've not had my glasses on - good to see some checking going on though - keeps the riff raff at bay - and keeps the comments within the bounds of decency. :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with the codes, unless I've not had my glasses on - good to see some checking going on though - keeps the riff raff at bay - and keeps the comments within the bounds of decency. :rolleyes:

Gary has just said that's not the case. :shock:

Gary has just said that's not the case. :shock:

Might be the male menopause (or week 3). STOP leading with your feet.

You need to include an email address as well - if everyone else can post a comment you must be doing something wrong or there is something wrong with the caching on your computer.

Our software doesn't have the capability to single out one person to block their comments unless we block an IP address.

the comments have started to go on but there is still a backlog. The 'your last comment' doesn't change even after further comments are posted - so you can't be sure if the comment has been posted or not especially if you have the same trouble as Baz re the code, which I also seem to encounter.

I see what you mean Sha :mellow::shock:

I just posted a comment under a news topic that I had already commented on.

Like you say it then simply says 'thank you for your feedback' BUT UNLIKE when I first posted on the topic it didn't actually tell me that my comment now 'has to be approved'. Probably better like that though so that the more paranoid poster wont think they are being checked on :lol:

Can't help but think that this is going to get a bit confusing though and may put people off commenting more than once if things are being delayed but in all fairness my comment has appeard within a few minutes although it does still show 'my last comment' as being the one prior to my actual last one.

I'm sure we will all get used to it though and as long as there is only a very short delay of a minute or so before the comments appear I'm sure it wont cause any problems at all.... and the more we all comment the harder those Admin bods will have to work :wink:

I rarely have a problem with the codes though and when I do it's usually cos I've misread it and typed it wrong :oops

I see you managed to type the coding today :wink:

Yeah.... it's updating the 'your last comment box' now and saying 'waiting for approval by Admin'... so I know I'm in the queue. I wonder if mine will be allowed ?

Just took me two attempts at the code though... but that was just my bad typing

No disrespect meant towards Admin here of course as I realise they are very busy bods ....

But I posted my comment under that of Cllr Geoff Settle's over 1 1/2 hours ago and it's still not on (and in the event that I had said something that I shouldn't, which I don't think I did, I have not received an email PHEW)

It's sort of making the comments facility a bit odd when you don't know if there are any more comments on the way or not and by tomorrow the story will have gone off the front page anyway and will be 'older news' so to speak.

The moment has now gone for me and I can't even remember what I put now anyway as it's not showing as my 'last comment made' italics either.

Ooooh the stress and frustration ... I think I'll stick to the forum in future :blink::lol:

Was there really that many bad comments under news topics that have resulted in the 'nicer' vocal people not being able to air their view when the moment strikes and having to 'suffer' delays and wait for other comments to perhaps appear too due to other people's lack of control?

Can't it go back to how it was before and perhaps us mods being able to somehow monitor the new comments too and removing if necessary like we do on here as we're not as busy these days now the spammers have been zapped by the new forum software.

I'm not really whinging.. but it's just not as user friendly as it was before :(

sounds like a whinge to me!!!

Mind you, I agree it has somewhat taken the point away from having a comments box because as you say, by the time the comments are posted by admin, the story has left the front page and been replaced with yet another story of some no mark rugby or footballers latest pair of underpants or something.....

I'll stick to the forum too from now on!

I hardly spend any time in the kitchen Peter :lol:

.... and yes Baz it does appear that I was whinging doesn't it (although I was trying to do it politely so as not to offend or to be noticed) :lol:

Not to worry and people can always come on here to air their views :wink:

No they will not allow personal attacks on individuals to be published. I have emailed you and informed you of this and yet you persisted to send the same post 6 times! :roll:

Whoops! not read my e-mails all day! sorry Gary but you will probably by now have received a few more -of the same post! and another half dozen of a different post!

I repeat posted them because after I'd clicked, the box went blank and as they didn't get put in the queue I thought the system had somehow 'just missed'them. (I.T. is not one of my subjects!)

I didn't suspect that they'd been blocked because I've said more or less the same things about the same people before and as it was all true I didn't see a problem with it.

I think the 'rules' are getting a bit hard on posters - especially as some of the 'quotes' you've been reporting recently in the news articles have been aimed at and quite insulting to others. It is hard not to respond to these quotes in the same style.

To all of you who feel aggrieved - We have to make a decision now which means if a comment is allowed we become personally responsible.

We have had to do this because of a handful of idiots.

We do not sit on the website 24/7 and do sleep on average 7-8 hours a night and occasional go out as well.

What we are doing is in common with many newspaper websites.

You had your freedom, some of you abused it and now you will just have to put up with it.

That is an end to the matter.