Mersey Ports Master Plan

Geoffrey Settle

why is it good that the bridges will be creating more traffic jams every day Geoff? Plus when you couple that with the expected traffic that will descend on the town once the new toll bridge is opened (although all of you councillors don't think this will happen) it could have a catastrophic effect of our roads.....

Perhaps a new "high level bridge" then - or as that one been proposed once?! :D :grin:

They said that they would not be building a new one, it would be up to the Government to do so if they felt inclined to do so. They are going to change the hydraulic workings of the swing bridges from water to fluid. This has already been done on one. They have done work on the cantilever bridge.

'Inclined to do so' ????

Geoff do you or anyone else seriously expect the government to feel inclined to build a new bridge to solve the congestion on Warrington's already overloaded roads ? Od course they wont and why should they ?

As for changing the hydraulics from Water to 'fluid' and a lick of paint on the Cantilever this has not, and never will, make the slightest bit of difference to the traffic problems.

Are these people STUPID or do they think we are !?!!!

I hope the council are going to press Peels for a better solution if these plans are going to get the go ahead rather than a half hearted 'we couldn't give a stuff really' attitide... :roll::evil:

Once again I agree with Dizzy.

Peel seem to believe they can do what they want on the canal and do not give a damn for the traffic congestion their busiess planning will cause.

perhaps the bridges may stick open to traffic?

perhaps wbc councillors will emerge from their ivory towerr and do something before it is too late.

Wot Dizzy said.

Makes no difference what they use to move the road(bridge). It still has to open and close. The only thing that could work is, because they are not reliant on tides, they could move the cargo at night.

Very good Pete and this point was raised by the Parish Councillors and Councillors of all persuasions in the Chamber - Peel said that they would consider changing the working pattern so that they could extend the working hours of the transport and be outside daily freight journeys. As a consequence they are hoping that this reduces the movements during the peak flow. By the way folks our mate Paul of Conservative persuasions was in the audience asking questions.

You all can use the links above to join in the consultation and I would strongly advise you to do so. That way you will get the answers to your questions direct from Peel. :mrgreen: and not have to distrust a word that I am writing. It's in your own hands. :wink: If it wasn't for me we wouldn't even be having this conversation, what the heck do you think I have to hide :?:

If it wasn't for me we wouldn't even be having this conversation, what the heck do you think I have to hide :?:

Geoff yes "If it wasn't for you" this time... but there have been many of the same discussions and arguments for and against this very topic for a long time now on both the forum pages and under news items (call it what you like 'Mersey Port Master Plan', 'Peel Port', 'Atlantic Gateway', 'Ocean Gateway' or 'whatever'..... but all part of the same plan and like I say all talked about many many times already.

It is only now that certaim members of the council (including parish ones) are starting to wake up and ask questions themselves or even take an interest ... so why not before now ?

Mmmmm empty out all the water and have a low level road instead of a canal. Not a bad idea Baz but increased vehicle usage and emmissions would not be environmentally friendly :wink:

Peels and the council need to think long and hard about the added impact on traffic congestion in Warrington though with this as there are plans underfoot to show them just how bad it could be with the bridges being closed to car movement more often.

Think "the canal" saves us from regular flooding. You could of course, given the congestion in Stockton Heath opt for a new "high level" bridge, with a new expressway to the M56, but perhaps the local LibDums would still be opposed to the idea?! :D

You are rights OBS about the flood protection aspects. As for the vessels - apparently not - there are issues about tides and ship arrivals and stuff - I'm still trying to get my head around it - there apparently was once talk of a high level bridges but that got scuppered long ago.

Geoff, the tides only affect the boats entering and leaving at Liverpool end. Anything in between can be accommodated to work in with the bridges. It just means that they need to make more efficient use of the Port and their planning.

It needs a compromise, NOT dictatorship from Peel Holdings. Remember, when they are arguing their case, their eye is on the money they make charging every boat (20 years ago, I think it was about £3000 just to open a swing bridge. If more boats are going through the £££££££££s are flashing before their eyes. Stuff the motorist. :wink:

Are you sure about those costs Peter? :shock: If so was that charged for each individual bridge opening as there must be 6+ swing bridges on the MSC or was it per boat passage through ALL bridges in one journey ?

You know what I even confused myself trying to ask that :lol:

How about Submarines? :wink:

Not as daft as one would think Wolfie!

The ship canal is approx 28 foot deep and would adequately support semi submersible barges these could be loaded normally at the dockside and prior to approaching a swing bridge the built in ballast tanks would be filled with water to enable the hull to be lowered sufficiently to allow the loaded barge to pass beneath a swing bridge, prior to arriving at it's destination the barges ballast tanks would then be pumped empty to allow normal unloading. PROBLEM SOLVED! :blink: .