Lying Taxi Companies.....

Bazj

Why are taxi companies allowed to lie?

I have been roun my mates house and have had a few beers. I decided to leave the car and get a cab. At 12:25 I phoned Harrys and was told there was a 3/4 hour wait....so ten past 1 was on the cards.... another beer and a few more old videos on the TV

It got to 1:55 before the guy arrived....

How do these companies get away with lying so much? There should be some kind of recourse to get your money back when they don't honour their side of the agrement

Just remember....don't believe a taxi operator when they say 3/4 of an hour....they are all liars!

If you feel that strongly about it why not send your complaint to Harry’s? Three quarters of an hour late is a bit much but then again, I’ve waited that long for a bus before now.

Your problem Baz is that you’re doing it all wrong. Instead of leaving it till the last minute along with everyone else, try booking your taxi well in advance. The reason for this is that all computerised dispatching systems prioritise the work and the pre-booked jobs always take priority over people that ring up at the last moment. And even if they tell you the average wait, you have no real contract when you ask for a car as soon as possible.

Are they liars? That’s a matter of opinion but I don’t think so. In my experience, taxi booking clerks are underpaid and under trained and yet have to deal with some of the most obnoxious members of the public especially late at night. They’re sworn at, verbally abused and generally treated like something you’ve stood in, so if they sometimes don’t come across all rosy, bear this in mind.

Bill :)

Has anybody here ever rung to ask where their taxi is and not been told its just 5 minutes away. It rarely is so yes they are liars.

PJ, the person on the other end of the phone may not be telling lies, they are reliant on feedback from the drivers who may well be, shall we say - stretching the truth regarding their position at the time they are contacted, I tend to agree with Bill, plus I know from experience that when you are expecting transport whether, road rail or air, the unknown injects an air of frustration and anxiety due to you not knowing when or if your mode of transport is going to show with it having the effect of you venting your frustration on the individual that arrives late, not a good idea though if it is a taxi driver or he may well leave you standing there or if he's a big violent lad, lying there :wink:

Your problem Baz is that you’re doing it all wrong. Instead of leaving it till the last minute along with everyone else, try booking your taxi well in advance. The reason for this is that all computerised dispatching systems prioritise the work and the pre-booked jobs always take priority over people that ring up at the last moment. And even if they tell you the average wait, you have no real contract when you ask for a car as soon as possible.

Bill,

please don't seek to patronise me and to defend these blatent liars..... when you say I'm doing it all wrong, do you mean I'm doing it all wrong because I phoned up Harrys who said they would have a car to us for just after one o'clock.... but what I am actually supposed to think is that she actually meant five to two because there may be a few people who have pre-booked?

what utter nonsense.....how can a computerised taxi system dictate priority? If someone has pre-booked, they should know the times of the pre-bookings and then arrange the cars around the pre-bookings... and anyway, surely if you have to phone up and make a booking it shouldn't matter if you phone five hours or 10 minutes before....if they say they have a car and then it doesn't turn up, they are liars.. The biggest problem is that they were probably a bit pigged off that it was a trip of about 1 mile instead of a nice lucrative town centre to Croft run.....!

Algy, whether the operator is lying or just passing on lies from the driver is irrelevent, I'm still being lied to. As I cannot speak directly to the driver this makes the operator my only point of contact with the cab firm and therefore the person I would give the grief to.

You really don’t understand how taxi companies work do you Baz :D

The system used at both Harrys and Abba is antiquated by modern standards, even so it’s sufficiently automated to the point where the telephonist have little or no control over the dispatching of the work.

The fault (if any) lies not with the staff but with the owners who either don’t invest in the right technology to deal with the problem or who have the technology but choose for some totally misguided reason not to use it. The net outcome is the poor operator catches it in the ear from people like you, which is a tad unfair and a bit like shouting at the checkout girls over the price that comes up on her till.

what utter nonsense.....how can a computerised taxi system dictate priority?

That’s for me to know and you to wonder Baz. :D

You stick to your network leads and leave me to the taxi automation. :P

You tried to book a taxi at the busiest time of the week and it was a bit late. Get over it!

Bill :)

Bill it sounds to me like he DID book a taxi and that the company entered into a verbal contract with him. They accepted his booking and gave him a time. They never honoured this and were at fault. If the operator gives false information to customers, whether by their own volition or at the advice of superiors or indeed believing it to be true, its still not the truth at the end of the day. I seriously doubt the owners would get on the phone to answer a complaint so the operator, as the firms representative, will cop the flack. As this is a very regular occurance you can't possibly think that the operator is so thick that they haven't worked out that cabbies are lying to them.

The 2 companies you name seem to have turned you down for business Bill, get over it :P

You really don’t understand how taxi companies work do you Baz

I think I do Bill....

Us members of the public phone a number. A woman, probably overweight and drinking Red Bull, answers the phone and usually speaks words of wisdom like; "....errrr Taxi"

Member of public replies "I'd like a taxi please"

"When for love?"

"as soon as you can please"

"about 3/4 of an hour"

then follows the address and where are you going to etc.....

Unfortunately, what happens then is because the woman is a liar, the taxi doesn't turn up until almost an hour after she said it would. We live in Warrington, not some sprawling metropolis which would cause delays as one cab struggles to get back across the city.

Bill, I will get over it, but unfortunately almost every taxi journey I have ever taken in this town has been a bad experience....crap and knackered out old cars, fat sweaty drivers who proudly display no smoking signs everywhere, but sticnk like they had just consumed a whole 20 pack of Park Drive.....

Thankfully I have my own, reliable car which means I only have to get a taxi on the very very odd occasion when I decide to have a drink.....maybe I should plan the next one for next month and book in advance so they don't screw things up?

Oh, and as for investing in technology; they are mostly driving round in 12 year old Toyota Avensis so they are hardly likely to spend money on automation which can better be done by someone actually telling the drivers where to go to rather than some computer telling them

Thought it was Baz who ordered the taxi. :?:???:

I know reading is difficult but here let me help you to understand.

Baz posted the original complaint re taxi firms. ok up to now?

Bill defended the cab firms. Still with me?

I posted this question "Has anybody here ever rung to ask where their taxi is and not been told its just 5 minutes away? It rarely is so yes they are liars. " The short sentence at the end being my view on the subject. I know its hard but try to keep up.

Algy then posted refering to my view on the subject of lies, and here's the clincher, I responded to him using "I'm" as I was referring to me, simple basic English.

I understand it must be difficult for you to keep up as you have so many accounts but do try harder when you are Wolfies chosen facet to speak to me.

Shame Baz was only going home as if he'd been going on holiday and had a flight/train to catch and they were late he could have claimed compensation as taxi firsms have a duty to carry out their service to you using reasonable skill and care, as required by the 'Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended)' ......providing of course you have informed the operator of your flight times etc and it is recorded/detailed somewhere. :blink:

I have only used one taxi in the past year and they were really good and came straight away. That was at turned midnight on a Saturday and I hadn't pre-booked but it did involve a little help from a regular taxi user who had the drivers actual number :wink:

All the others taxi companies had a two hour wait time but like I said it was a Saturday and we hadn't booked so understandable.

It muse be very annoying to actually book one for a specific time and for them not to turn up though... I would be fuming too. Maybe they get intercepted on route :oops:

I know reading is difficult but here let me help you to understand.

Baz posted the original complaint re taxi firms. ok up to now?

Bill defended the cab firms. Still with me?

I posted this question "Has anybody here ever rung to ask where their taxi is and not been told its just 5 minutes away? It rarely is so yes they are liars. " The short sentence at the end being my view on the subject. I know its hard but try to keep up.

Algy then posted refering to my view on the subject of lies, and here's the clincher, I responded to him using "I'm" as I was referring to me, simple basic English.

I understand it must be difficult for you to keep up as you have so many accounts but do try harder when you are Wolfies chosen facet to speak to me.

Making comments understandable in the first place would prevent the need for long winded explanations. A simple 'Sorry' would have sufficed. :wink:

BTW I am sure Wolfie doesn't need me to speak for him, as from what I've seen he is more than capable of speaking/posting for himself. However if you are determined to believe that every United supporter on here is actually wolfie under a different name then more fool you for responding to each/all of them. :D

Making comments understandable in the first place would prevent the need for long winded explanations. A simple 'Sorry' would have sufficed. :wink:

BTW I am sure Wolfie doesn't need me to speak for him, as from what I've seen he is more than capable of speaking/posting for himself. However if you are determined to believe that every United supporter on here is actually wolfie under a different name then more fool you for responding to each/all of them. :D

Seems to me that there is only you struggling to comprehend perfectly clear comments, which is probably why I need to dumb them down for you. :wink:

You would like a simple sorry, no problem " I'm sorry you are simple". Happy now?

I never suggested all Man Ure fans on here were manifestations of the same mind, it can't be the case as some of them seem pretty reasonable.

I never said you speak for Wolfie, I said you are a facet of him. I'm not sure how complex your condition is but it may be that you don't even realise that you are all one and the same.