on yer bike -

observer

Not sure about that obs. I think it depends on where the interview is and the personal circumstances off the person.

I do know that they can get a new suit,shirt,tie and shoes for attending interviews, but they have to go to certain shops and it is a voucher that they get for it.

I don't know either Obs but no doubt I will google later.

What I do know though is that you can't get job seekers allowance until you are 18 and you only qualify then if you have paid some tax/nhi in the past (there are a few exceptions though). Like Evil's said other benefits are available to those with certain other personal circimstances.

IF a person has they right skills for a job or a chance of getting it but genuinely cannot afford to get to the interview for whatterver reason then I think they should get help with the travel expenses rather than to loose a chance and have to stay on the 'dole'.

Surely large national companies do actually hold interviews in other areas too though and they are not all held in London.

PS Pitiful dole of £60 a week sounds pretty good especially if you are young with no overheads. Apprentices working 40 hours a week seem to average £95 and out of that they have to pay their own travel, meals, etc etc ....

It must be awful to be young and trying to find work... infact it's awful being old and trying to find it too :wink:

Wjhich "national" companies only hold interviews in London Obs? all the ones I know of hold them in all the major cities.

BT have just held interviews across the country for chaps to install this new superfast fibre rollout across the country (although STILL not in Westbrook......)

Most companies will choose regional centres (cities), so even a trip to Manchester or L'pool costs money - so, if some kid makes the effort and looks for a job, it appears reasonable to reimburse their expenses (by either the recruiter or the dole).

I'm still waiting for the punchline form Obs :unsure::lol:

BUT if by funding the job seekers travel expenses (IF they genuinely can't afford it) then it may just result in less 'doleites' as you call them Peter being out of work. ..... or maybe not for those who may just treat it as going on a jolly instead :|:wink:

How the H**l do you arrive at a "u turn" Pierre? When have I suggested that the unemployed shouldn't receive dole? Far from it, imo these youngsters nowadays are being forced to survive on a pityfull £60pw; so no wonder the crime rate is predicted to rocket. :roll:

Your mixing "what if's" with "what is" - what we've got is a stagnant economy, with the Tories praying for a private sector recovery, stimulated by a miracle I presume. What is required imo, are some major civil engineering projects, which by their nature would be national and labour intensive, to stimulate growth. Ironically, the cure is more of the hair of the dog that bit you (borrowing); more folk earning = more folk paying taxes and spending = equals more employment generally. The proviso is, that once stimulated, economic prudence is required to balance the books - a tricky balance. :|

Don't encourage the Richard Head - Localism can only be applied to "local" projects/economies - self evident; and as I've oft said, should be applied through a devolution of power and funding to the lowest optimum tier of Governance. However, tis also self evident, that some projects will have there "optimum" at a national level - EG: The building of the High Speed Rail links, a Severn (tidal power) barrier, etc etc. :roll: