Serious incident - Rylands street

Tilly

Originally posted by wolfie:

Originally posted by milly:

Why has it taken this long for the Government to acknowledge that 24hr drinking was a mistake?

According to todays papers it has been deemed a success :roll:
I suppose it depends on how you look at it, as today's report contradicts what they were saying yesterday (no surprise there!). Less fighting at 11pm, it's spread out between 1am -6am.

Sensible drinkers can drink whenever they want - at home in safety! What happened to all the sensible bar owners? Has the phrase 'I'm not serving you, you've had enough' been banned? If the bars didn't serve people to the point of alcohol poisoning surely some of the trouble would disappear.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milly I know how hard you work in the community with sport development and more people like you need to step forward.

As for policing Inspector Lockie is doing a lot of what you are advocating. He has thrown away the cars keys of the local coppers old and new and has got them on the beat and cycling. I bump into them eveywhere I go - in fact I'm sure that they think I am stalking them. Last Thursday's CAM meeting was the last of it's type and Derek is going to have a completely new format in partnership with groups who can assist the police.

Panoramas prog last night was not trying to provide answers but offer options from which some solutions can be chosen for local communities after all it is for local communities to take ownership and try and change the culture that has evolved over many years.

Until all of us adopt a sensible approach to drinking the associated problems will remain. How can you expect youths to kerb their drinking habbits when their parents lead by showing them a bad example?

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

How can you expect youths to kerb their drinking habbits when their parents lead by showing them a bad example?

You are right Geoff....some don't even care about their children....out of sight out of mind. And it is not just in the town's poorer areas, in the more prosperous ones, parents just give their children a wad of money and pack them out of the house....I would say home...but many lack that vital ingredient...a caring and loving environment. :wink:

Geoff.

Slightly off topic, but you have an exceptional bunch of police over there who actively get involved with the Community.

I just wish they had the same attitude over this side.

We see them on the streets, but never at meetings etc. I thought the idea was to interact with the public.

We are in the process of trying to find out why this is the case. :x

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

As for policing Inspector Lockie is doing a lot of what you are advocating. He has thrown away the cars keys of the local coppers old and new and has got them on the beat and cycling. I bump into them eveywhere I go - in fact I'm sure that they think I am stalking them.

I have noticed the bobbies/ support officers a lot more around the Rec. I have been involved down there for twelve years or so, rarely seen a copper. Now every weekend they ride through on their bikes or stop for a chat when we are pitch marking. Even in their cars they drive down onto the rec to have a nosey. Seeing them about does make you feel better.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to have noticed the difference and different approach. Many of us know the officers on first name terms and that's due to them getting to know people in the community.

ooops. :o Sorry Geoff. Pressed the wrong button. :o

Meant to quote you.

[ 04.03.2008, 18:53: Message edited by: Peter ]

Legion.

Eagle is entitled to an opinion even if we all feel in this case he may be wrong what I am concerned about is your need to call someone you do not know a loud mouthed idiot.

Agree or disagree there is no need for childish insults.

John

Originally posted by Legion:

Usualy by one loud mouthed idiot being inapropriate. [/QB]

Legion.

An idiot he is NOT. He might say things that people disagree with, BUT please refrain from name calling.

PS. If you do make posts like that, I suggest you use your spell-checker, it gives you more credibility. :roll:

now why is it that when I simply answered eagles question people associated the word "idiot" with him, I certainly did not, it was (if you choose to read again my reply) a statement of facts about how fights start.

it is only you JayC & Peter that have associated this phrase to him, not I.

now JayC's usual inferance that I have said something that I have not is Par for the course, however I'm supprised you misread it peter.

And Eagle, of course your entitle to this opinion, maybe you would like to express it to his freinds and family out in the real world. I would happily stand behind all my opinions in public.

[ 07.03.2008, 10:18: Message edited by: Legion ]

Legion.

My normal inference, you not I inferred by your comment that Eagle is a "loud mouthed Idiot" and as Peter rightly pointed put that is far from the truth the man is a damn site more articulate than most on here, you can dance around all you wish and deny the intention , but you knew what you said and the intention meant, do not assume you know me or anything about me "my normal inference" I have sat back and not commented on the vast majority of your nonsensical poorly spelt , inarticualate posts purely because I have more things to do than have a pop at a self opiniated person such as you, but I enjoy reading what Eagle has to say and when you clearly had a go at his opinion then I reacted, if you dont like then dont post I couldnt give a damn either way.

Originally posted by Tilly:

Those of you who still think Warringtons fab and that its getting bad press, what do you think now?

Personally i think Warrington is a pretty dull place, so I'm in neither camp.

But I'm sorry, if you really think Warrington is somehow not just somwhere in the spotlight at the moment, you need your bumps feeling.

Live in Warrington, Liverpool or Manchester? Sorry, wouldn't dream of living in either of the latter.

Yes, there have been a number of tragedies in the last year, but it will happen anywhere, I'm sure you have no idea of the crime figures for Barnsley, or Perth, or Aberdeen? Out of site out of mind, but when you're in the middle of something, you're far more sensitive to it.

I think people have a sharp shock to their feel good factor about the town due to the number of incidents in such a short time.

If,god forbid, these incidents continue to happen then they will not be shocking anymore. PC Plod has got to be allowed to turn the screw and use whatever means at their disposal to rid the streets of these appalling crimes.