Serious incident - Rylands street

Tilly

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Ah but the video was of LA police and their victim was black.

He was a member of the public being beaten by police officers. Not something I would like to see as the run of the mill type of policing in Warrington Paul. Is this what you would like to see?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But unfortunately with nightclubs being licensed to stay open until 05.30 in the morning what would constitute out at unusual hours? I'm all for more police but I feel I pay enough council tax , income tax etc as it is and they would need to be funded from somewhere. As for not filling in forms the police must surely be accountable for their actions and while I agree with you that the present bureaucracy is making the police less efficient than they should be some form of paperwork is always going to be needed. I would like to see tougher sentencing for criminals found guilty of offences in a court of law not suspects beaten senseless on the whim of some police officer.

Jacko,

The sentence about violent video games etc. was a separate sentence to the previous paragraph.

In my next post, I said that there should be consequences.

To link the two together just for you, I was suggesting that all these idiots who go around kicking and knifing people, learn these ideas from PC/Video games where there is NO personal pain received by the viewer/player.

If there was, they might think twice about their actions, and this is why observers posts have some logic re. the action that needs a short swift response.

PS. Your name isn't Geoff, is it?

PPS. When someone kicks someone in the head, doesn't it hurt the kicker? Just wondering about that one. :confused:

So state sanctioned hit squads are an answer to our problems? I do not think that is a way forward at all.

This is my opinion, which I feel I have every right to express. If we all just agree on here then it will be a huge and pointless love in.

There is little or no evidence to support the theory that violent video games can turn people into some kind of brainwashed psychopath overnight. If the person was already unstable enough to want to kick somebodies head in video games wouldn't make a jot of difference.

So what is being proposed is the use of our police as bringers of revenge not servants of the people but some kind of Judge Dredd hit men. If thats what your after then fair enough but I'm sorry it's not for me.

No Peter my name isn't Geoff, it's Paul.

Obviously Jacko; your kid gloves approach is part of the problem; hence we'll never get a solution. :wink: Not a new theory by the way, ask any footy supporter who's been dragged in by the Spanish Police?! :wink: Mind you, it's probably never going to happen due to wet liberals like Jacko and the Human Rights Act - they'd have the Police begging the offender to please go and sit on the naughty step! :wink:

[ 02.03.2008, 20:43: Message edited by: observer ]

It's Geoff here just managed to pick up a signal in Crosby where I'm staying for the day.

Anyway the action being advocated by Obs and supported by Pete and Paul is not one that I or the police would support.

Fortunately incidents in Fearnhead have decreased by 25% of late acooring to remarks made at last Thursdays CAM. There is still a lot of work to do especially to reasure the good folk that the policing currently being deployed is having a positive result. But I'm sure that you will read more about the new iniatives in the media soon.

Geoff, Therefore does that mean that 75% of the problem is still there and that the softly, softly approach would have saved those that have been killed and injured in Warrington just lately?

IF these kids didn't learn about kicking someone's head in from watching PC games/videos, just where do they learn these things from? and how do you propose teaching them right from wrong?

So tougher prison sentences for offenders and blanket CCTV coverage of town centres enabling vastly improved arrest rates and convictions are kid gloves attitudes?

Not agreeing with allowing the police to dispense immediate and unaccountable punishment beatings as the I.R.A. did for years in Belfast is being a wet liberal?

Are you really of the belief that football supporters who have been beaten by Spanish police never cause trouble or go to away football games again, if so then you really do have a poor grasp of reality?

The police themselves would probably dismiss your suggestions as unsuitable in a civilised society. The police can already use reasonable force to restrain a suspect. There are two important words there,? reasonable" and "suspect" because until a person is found guilty of a crime in a court of law he should not be punished. This has been the basis of British law since its birth but don't let that stand in the way of a good sound bite.

And as for the "wet liberal" comment, you know your argument must be weak when you have to resort to petty, childlike name calling.

Jacko,

You must be on a different planet. Your first paragraph is a nonsense.

The prisons are full and even if they weren't, prison does not seem to be a deterrent.

No doubt you are one of those who thought sending kids on safari as a punishment, was a good idea. :roll:

Peter,

No I do not think sending people on safari is a good punishment. I do not think letting murderers out of jail ever is right. I do not think suspended sentences for burglary, assault or theft is right. I do not think that playstations in jail cells is right. I do not think that litter strewn streets and criminals in jail doing nothing all day is right. I do not think that massive labour bills for motorway projects is right when we have a prison population able to reduce said labour bills.

That said I do not feel it is the job of the police to dispense justice as they see fit. It is for the courts to dispense justice and for the police to bring suspects to the court for trial and present their evidence.

I agree that there are not enough prison places but there aren't enough police officers to carry out the duties which Observer would like to see but I don't see you poo pooing his suggestions because of lack of manpower.

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

Anyway the action being advocated by Obs and supported by Pete and Paul is not one that I or the police would support.

And what action might that be that I'm supporting Geoff...more police on the streets asking people at odd hours of the day what they are doing, seems fairly reasonable and non violent to me.

Glad you mentioned the IRA, Jacko - strange how the crime rate in IRA controlled communities was extremely low - I wonder why?! :wink: It's obvious by your views that your part of the PC Cliche that's got us into the current mess - spare the rod and spoil the yob. :wink:

If you have the audacity to hold up the I.R.A. as a force for good in the fight against crime then you are completely ignorant of facts or you choose to live in a bitrer little world of your own creation.

During the troubles in Northern Ireland 3466 men women and children were murdered. So what if there was a little less shoplifting because of the fear of being kneecapped.

20 children under 4 years of age murdered

17 from ages 5 to 9 murdered.

47 from ages 10 to 14 murdered.

446 from ages 15 to 19 murdered.

all someones children, brother or sister.

Don't you dare come on here holding up terrorists as a paragon of how we need to behave in order to reduce crime.

[ 03.03.2008, 00:12: Message edited by: Jacko ]

Originally posted by Jacko:

Peter,

It is for the courts to dispense justice and for the police to bring suspects to the court for trial and present their evidence.

Dream on, dream on.

Now we are back to the EU which you so dearly love.

Interference from the EU has contributed in a big way to the lack of proper justice and law and order. The Rights of the criminal have become more important than the rights of the victim.

Or did I read that in the Mail?

Some of us are too long in the tooth to be taken in by all this PC garbage and liberalisation of everything.

I suggest all those who thing the EU is a marvellous idea, should go and live in Europe and leave the rest of us to try and salvage what made this country great.

Peter, where on earth did that come from?

Which bit of my cut and pasted comment did it refer too?

Where have I ever said I am a lover of the E.U.? I would love a referendum on the subject, if only to get to know all the facts and to be able to make a reasoned decision one way or the other.

And a little news flash regardless how unsavoury it may seem we all live in Europe.

ah that makes all the murders not a crime and therefore you must be right things were much better when the terrorists were running the show. No stealing, unless they sanctioned it. No drug dealing, unless they sanctioned it. No building unless you paid the protection money, Do not wheedle out of your original proposition that there was less crime when the I.R.A. were in charge. There was far more and of a far more serious nature than we have ever experienced in Warrington. They even blew up our town centre on a Mothers Day.