Car Insurance?

observer

:shock::shock: Please tell me you are joking Obs.

My lads just started taking lessons and the cheapest quote we had was ?3000 last time we looked into it so if it rises by 30% then thats another ?1000 on. There's no way he'll be getting a car but at least he will have a licence :?

In answer to your question though.... possibly not as with all the road camera's etc uninsured drivers can be spotted within seconds... although obviously there will be less police around to catch them :?

Why is it rising then? Still down to all these now win no fee claim companies or another con of a reason :evil:

Insurance companies are getting worse that gas and electric companies :evil:

Spurious claims - gender equality decision - and just plain greed on the part of "private" companies nowadays. Afford ?4K or chance a ?200 fine and 5 points on yer licence - a no brainer for desperate kids. Presume fully comp is best IF yer can afford it? :?

mine has already gone up fifty percent as it is and that was after a bit of wheeling and dealing on behalf of the broker as the original price they had was a rise o 100% :shock::shock: .

The strange thing is when i told them what my job was they said that it may go up more this is despite the fact that i use the car and bike less now than i did when i was working for spar. I do not need to drive to work as i get picked up at the end of the street and dropped of there when i finish, work that one out :?:lol::lol:

Well from today the DVLA are sending letters out to the owner of every registered car that does not have insurance...... regardless of wether it is on the road or not. Either insure it or declare it SORN.

Ignore the letter get ?100 fine... keep inoring and your car may get crushed.

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/06/20/uninsured_drivers_face_loss_of_car

Apparently there are around 1.4 million drivers driving without insurance and they cause around 23,000 accidents. This puts an average of about ?30 a year on the honest drivers insurance policy.

So if the DVLA's plan works will the ?30 get knocked off ours then... and if we can get insurance companies to offer lower premiums to those of us who sign that WE wont use no win no fee accident claims companies :wink::roll:

You speak for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Sorry Peter by 'older drivers' I actually meant anyone older than teenagers and those in their early 20's.... not oldies like you (although there are some of those which are rather scary and should not be driving cars too) :lol:

I've said it before on another topic but most of the idiot drivers I see... you know the sort who cut you up, wizz out infront at junctions, drive so close to the back that they could sit in my boot, USE THEIR MOBILES etc etc are all around 30's to 50+'s. And the majority are men in suits :lol:

As a lawyer operating in this field (and defending drivers rather than chasing them!) the costs have gone up but should start going the other way. A new on-line claim system was introduced last june that should keep costs lower. Question is will they pass them on.

In Eire when a new tarriff based system was introduced and costs dropped rapidly, premiums didnt drop the same.

My premium hasnt risen anything like the figures quoted and suggest as always you shop around.

BTW this was in the Dialy Express. Read into that what you will.

Must admit Adrian my insurance has not really risen sharply over the past 4+ years either. Last years went up by around ?10 and the year before stayed pretty much the same as I took out their home insurance too which reduced the premium but then I cancelled the home insurance within a few days as we were still tied into our old one and they never asked for the discount back :wink:

Year before I was a few days late paying the car renewal premium and due to a technical error at their end they had to put me on as a new customer and it worked out cheaper than the renewal they had sent me. :?:roll:

Other halfs seems to go up by about ?20 a year every year despite no longer having the points on his licence and maybe that's why mine did not go up as much as he is named on mine?

All very confusing and not very fair all in all though

How would that work though Harry?

You'd have the careful driver paying as much as the speeder with 9 points on his/her licence or someone who had been banned for drink driving who had they got their licence back etc.

Surely it would benefit the reckless idiot drivers who have been caught more that it would benefit most people.

Saying that with the price of petrol these days maybe they have already implemented it and just forgot to tell us all :wink:

Well yes Dizzy, but I think the person who has got his licence back, or is on 9 points,may well be a more cautious driver than the rest.

The biggest bonus would be that the more you use the road (and therefore more likely to have an accident), the more you pay - and there would be no uninsured drivers.

It seems wrong to me that my wife and son who do less than 1000 miles a year, pay as much as I do as an average motorist, and in turn those who do a lot more than the three of us put together.

Would have to be a nationalised scheme though.

Happy days

Not too sure about points making all peope safer drivers Harry.

I can only speak from experience but when my other half got his 6 points (which were waiting on the door mat when we got home from our hols in Wales some years ago ... both for 35mp I might add so you don't think he's a raving road looney) HE actually turned into a paranoid and at times rather unsafe driver.

We went back to Wales the following year and he was so scared of getting more he finished up looking at his speedo rather than the road all the time and in the end had to pull over and was a dithering wreck. I had to drive :oops:

He said himself that after over 20 years of driving withouty even a parking ticket to his name he suddenly he felt 'dangerous' because of his uncontrollable fear of accidentally going over the 30 limit for a few seconds and losing his licence.

Anyway back to your suggestion....

I can see how it could help to some degree but what would happen if a driver had an accident or a bump?

If people had no specific insurance companies who would the drivers (especially non-fault ones) claim off in the event of an accident, bump, theft, or other damage etc ?

Would we all have to pay for our car repairs and 'others' from our own pockets or would we claim via the last petrol station we bought our fuel from :?:lol:

As for your wife and son they should shop around as many insurance companies do offer a reduced premium for lower mileage. I know mine do.

Saying that if they both do less that 1000 miles a year do they really need their cars or why don't they share a car and split the cost :wink:

We do shop around. My wife just tootles back and to the shops. Gives her independence. My son has his own house.. He's a chef with unsocial hours - just goes from Latchford to Grappenhall village, nothing else.

It would be a nationalised scheme. Government run. I suppose not dis-similar to MOT stations now. Gilding the lily, it could also take in motor taxation as well.

Happy days

Yes Harry but how, and through who, would people claim if they had an accident etc ?

As for your wife and son..

I retract my earlier comment as if my other half reads it he may tell me to get rid of my car and share his as I only do low mileage too at the moment :shock::wink:

No way am I ever giving up my car.. 8)

If you all go and do the Advanced Drivers test, you get a discount on your insurance and you can insure through their own company which keeps premiums low. Simples!

I missed this one sorry SL :oops:

When you say advanced driving do you mean the 'Pass Plus' test or is that different? And which 'own' company do you mean as all seem to have boxes for the 'pass plus' test.

Sorry for the questions but anything that can reduce my sons looming insurance is worth looking into (and ours of course)

Blummin' annoying thing is youngsters can get motorbikes and insurance really cheaply and probably finish up having a serious accident or worse. Ok so I dont like kids or others on motorbikes as my other half knows too many people who have suffered serious or fatal accidents on them :cry:

So as a parents do we just give in and let him take his chances on our awful roads on a motorbike or just save up and help him out with his first car insurance.... or just make him walk or rely on me for lifts everywhere until he is 30 :shock::lol: