Woolston to close

mummy

Just updated front page with news flash after returning from meeting and full report including video footage will be broadcast tomorrow on http://www.warrington.tv and the main news page.

It was some demo and brought a lump to my throat.

Can someone explain to me why it was the girls making all the noise :wink:

[ 17.09.2007, 20:19: Message edited by: Gary ]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly the decision is correct - Woolston has suffered from falling rolls for a number of years - a situation which has not been helped by parents at Feeder schools choosing to send their kids elsewhere - examples of this are Bruche and Woolston primarys which lie within half a mile of WHS yet have many children who go to Birchwood or Padgate in preference ...

It amuses me somewhat as well when parents are complaining about their kids having to travel to get to secondary school -when I was in the area -albeit during the seventies many of us had to go to Wade Deacon , Salford Grammar etc ,etc ...

However I am totally in agreement as to the perfidy of the Lib Dems who control WBC ...

[ 19.09.2007, 11:35: Message edited by: Alien Circumstance ]

now that I have looked up "Perfidity" (which to save other thickies like me means "betrayal of trust" ).

can you clarify now where the money to keep state schools open is sourced, central government or local ???

becouse clearly its the lack of funding thats the problem, to my mind its not a choice of which one to close, both should be kept open, with smaller class sizes for better education.

Hi all,

I am new to this but thought I would put across the kids points of view.

I have a child in year 6 at the moment. Two older children at woolston High. He was looking forward to starting high school next year with his friends, who he has grown up with and all live nearby.

They are now likely to be split up and sent to different schools. As if year 6 wasn't stressful enough for the kids they now have the added worry of where they are going to end up next September.

There is no guarantee that we will get our alternative schools of choice - which is certainly not Padgate, and if we do his friends may not - again Padgate is not their school of choice.

He is worrying already about will happen to him, something which I don't think any child should be doing at the age of 10.

:x

But the numpty brain cell in the town hall shut one school, then had to build a big extention on the other school because it wasnt big enough.

Even with that only half of the children of the estate took up places in that school.

Their projected figures were way out, more than 75% out, yet they would take no notice of what people say, total and utter ignorant ignorance so dispicable they should not be allowed in the town.

Most of the young families have moved off the estate now, leaving the pensioners, so they shut the post office, and the community centre. Oh but that was another under the table deal so that they could re-use it was'nt it. House prices have not maintained growth like other area's because of lack of facilities.

Local politicians are no better than the russian mafia and not worth spitting on.

No better than their National counterparts: Central Government "closed" the Post Offices, by virtually privatising the PO, thus leaving the issue to the market. :roll: School extensions get built because of increasing demand, because snobby parents, pandered to by obsequious politians, want to choose which school their kids go to, instead of sending them to the nearest. :roll: Local Government since Thatcher started capping them, has operated in a straight jacket of Central Gov controls - the majority of their budget is Statutory Spend - they have about 15% of their budget to actually toy with. :roll:

Is that meant to make it better? A school with above average ofstead, economically stable, in a nice grassed area, in an estate where parents care about their child?s education. You call them snobby. It just shows your low standards then, why should people be forced to a lower level.

By your standards everyone should be forced to be worse off. Yet hide behind 'Well central Government said'

With the quality of people we have as councillors I am not really surprised. They are not worth the air they breathe. Never mind the expenses they steal from the people.

So the families of the estate rather than put up with the dribble from some half wits at the town hall and sub standard education moved house, is that a good thing?

I know the old St James School has had many many hundreds of thousands of pounds pumped into it to turn it from its failing ofsead under special needs to now an average school in the most polluted area of the town and its great there is still places if you want to send your children there.

The cheaper and better option, keep their nose out was not to be. With some individuals at the town hall at the town hall hell bent on bringing the standards of normal people down by forcing by draconian means their weird sense humour, whilst all the time they laugh at the people they inflict their thoughts on.

We got rid of that load of crap and I have not seen much improvement.

Not sure your absorbing the info: you complained about school building extensions: I suggested that high demand caused this. high demand, not from the local catchment but from further afield. :roll: We even have some people moving home into their prefered school catchment area, just to get little Jonny in "the best" school. :roll: And obviously; given the financial straight jacket that Local Councillors labour under, you still have a fixation on blaming the Council, rather than the funding (or lack of funding) source - the Government. :roll:

People have already started moving their children out of woolston high. They don't want to take the chance that they will be left with supply teachers etc. Nobody will put it down as an option for their kids if it is set to close and then come february when they make their "final decision" they will turn round and say that nobody wanted to go there anyway.

Children are being moved from primary schools in area as well because they don't want to go to the new partner school (padgate). There is also people moving from the area to get birchwood postcodes so they stand a better chance of getting them in there when the time comes. Woolston will become a retirement area, with low house prices. Who wants to live in somewhere without local schools etc.

On which point, parents need to understand the recent changes in the law, The Education and Inspections Act 2006 and the School Admissions Code of Practice 2007. All admission authorities must now operate an Equal Preference System. In practice it could mean that as alternative schools to Woolston will be oversubscribed if what the previous poster says happens, using the new admissions criteria, parents who have not put Woolston, could, if the local authority is not able to offer a child a place at one of the preferred schools, allocate them a place at the nearest community school with a place available....which could in fact be Woolston.

May I draw to the attention of parents whose children will transfer to secondary schools next September, the rather good WBC booklet: Secondary Education, A Guide for Parents on Education Services and School Admission Arrangements 2008-2009. All chidren in Warrington should have been given a copy to take home.