Are there too many charity organizations in UK?.

algy

With over 161,760 charity organizations in this country and some charities which are very small or for which the Charity Commission is not the main regulator, are currently excluded from the need to register.

At the last count the registered charities received an income of ?53.2 billion,

spending ?51 bn,

investments ?77.7 bn,

own user asset ?52.2 bn.

This information is from the Charity Commission Website.

Are there too many charities.

Is it possible to control such a large number of charities.

Are these organizations top heavy with "freeloaders".

Do the management groups consist of jobs for the boys & girls.

Do the target groups receive the benefits that they should receive.

I suppose that one could agree with all those comments.

I do think that the larger charities should be governed by the FSA or some such body.

And the small ones normally come about as it is an easier way to pull funding down. As to whether any of them are honest, it is up to committees and supporters to question and ask to see accounts/statements on a regular basis.

I recall watching a documentary a few years ago about how a very small percentage of your money donated actually reached the area it was intended for, as the largest percentage got swallowed up in admin and expenses.

Do the target groups receive the benefits that they should receive.

They certainly don't receive all the benefits.

I believe St Roccos have to dispose of large numbers of donations because they cannot be sold to the public because of Health and Safety.

Apparantly WBC charge them ?1000 per month for this disposal. :shock::shock:

However, rumour has it that a large percentage of the items are then sold to Market traders. So a win win for the council.

It would be interesting if one of our council members could confirm or deny this.

Surely not Wolfie :shock: What sort of things can't St Roccos sell then that due to H&S that they then have to off loaded via the council at a cost.

Why don't they just put signs up or notes on their bags/leaflets saying 'sorry no ?whatever as we have to pay the council to get rid of them?' ?

I do not have a problem, vaccinating children that would otherwise die

I know what you mean but there are people over here dying too cos our own government wont allow them to have cancer treatements etc etc because of the costs of medication.

Guess that's two completely different things though eh

Surely not Wolfie :shock: What sort of things can't St Roccos sell then that due to H&S that they then have to off loaded via the council at a cost.

Why don't they just put signs up or notes on their bags/leaflets saying 'sorry no ?whatever as we have to pay the council to get rid of them?' ?

Any electrical stuff.

Any electrical stuff.

Why don't they give all the electrical stuff to the British Heart Foundation charity shop at Westbrook ? They sell it there :?

A director of fundraising has been sacked by the charity Action for Kids for not raising enough money. He only raised ?20k (but had hoped for ?100k) after crawling a mile a day around the 26 mile marathon course dressed as Brian the snail from The Magic Roundabout.

The founder of the charity confirmed the board of trustees had asked him to leave and said "He was given notice according to his contract with us, due to losses incurred in his latest marathon.

I guess the ?5 million he had raised in the past meant nothing then... although it doesn't mention how much he had been paid whilst in their employment (I presume he was paid)

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/06/14/charity_sacks_snail_marathon_man

:shock::? I'm not sure I really understand that as to me a fake charity (or business ) is one set up just to con people out of money to make themselves rich. Surely it's not saying that Oxfam and Macmillan Cancer Support are 'fake' in that way ??

Like I said I don't get it.... :oops: when it says they use money to lobby governments etc isn't that to push for changes which are needed to help the people who are suffering but if they dont push for changes nothing will every get done surely?

Yep I'm totally confused :?

Any electrical stuff.

Unless the electrical item has been tested, which most charity shops can't or can't be bothered to do.

Low voltage electrical items are exempt.

I am led to believe that Local authorities do have the items tested and are then sold on.

Dizzy, there are quite a few "charities" such as ASH and Alcohol Concern that the government of the day finances to push the governments own policies. So the government can say they are making, for example, smoking in pubs illegal because of public concern, but the public concern is government generated. All rather incestuous :wink::wink::wink:

I'm sure you wouldn't take kindly to me telling you which charities you had to donate to and how much would you? But that is exactly what the government does by funding charities. As for Oxfam, well I'm sure they do good in many areas, but they also campaign in dubious areas such as against climate change. How can you campaign against nature? Their stated aim is to ensure that global temperatures don't rise more than 2 degrees C, as if that were feasible even if it was going to happen. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

I give to the charities I feel deserve it most, not the ones the government wants to. :wink::wink::wink: