Why do the people of Warrington ignore the Wolves?

CP

Im not 100% sure but i would estimate the population of warrington at 250k or thereabouts.

Why then can the Wolves only attract a core supporter base of approx 10k?

Thats not even 5% of the Warrington Borough population.

With the team being so succesful in the last couple of years anyone would have thought we would have been inundated with people trying to watch the games. After all in 2009 and 2010 it was estimated that we had a following of 20-25k at each of the challenge cup finals.

Are the club failing to engage or attract 'new' supporters or is it just the apathy of the population of a 'new town'.

It seems really strange to me as the product is by enlarge good and it comes at a fairly modest cost compared to football.

Answers on a postcard.

I used to watch them together with up to 30.000 others. It was cheap to enter and there was little else to do. Threepence to park your bike if you were lazy.

Nowadays, it is expensive, plenty of other things to do. Family responsibilities are taken more seriously.

I can watch all kinds of sport on the box. Two rugby league matches each week-end plus other RL programmes, including the highlights of all games. At least two top class soccer matches to view, plus rugby union et al.

In the balmy days, the population was half of what it is now, but they were Warrington born and bred. Think a lot of the outskirt people have more affinity to the major soccer clubs in the area.

In view of the above, the Wolves are not doing too badly.

Happy days

I don't think the people of Warrington DO ignore the Wolves.

You have to remember that Rugby League is, comparatively, a minority interest sport. For a start, there are two codes of Rugby and for some reason obscure to me, many of the followers of RU won't have anything to do with RL and vice versa.

Secondly, both compete with soccer, with is the most popular sport.

So you might as well ask why, soccer being the most popular sport in the world, Warrington Town FC averages gates of less than 200!

The fact that Wolves are doing well at the moment probably DOES increase gates. But many people only get excited by cup finals so you will always get a bigger crowd for a final at Wembley.

Warrington have been doing so well recently that the matches have actually become boring for anyone other than a real, dyed-in-the wool, Wolves fan. I saw them beat Castleford by a heck of-a-lot to nil and thought it was like watching paint drying, but I am not a rugby fan. But most of the 10,000 Wolves fans seemed to enjoy it!

Unless you get in for free hey Gary 8)

Lets see - took six to the Cas game for hospitality for my birthday which cost a couple of hundred quid and through Warrington Town we are sponsoring tomorrow's game with a table of 12 - another few quid and also bought 100 show your true colour scarfs supporting the club's charities - not quite a free loader like some members of the media :wink:

I can see both sides here but I'd say that money for people with families is a big issue these days, based on Adult prices it's ?18 to stand and ?25.50 to sit down in the North.

Firstly I think the sit down price is somewhat a joke with every club in the league cheaper by at least ?1.50 including Huddersfield, Hull and Wigan with better stadiums, people don't want to stand in the South these days, it's cramped, beer get's thrown everywhere and those with kids don't like the language so they choose not to go rather than pay North stand prices (East stand 90% season ticket holders). Apart from the money issue I don't see any other reason although I suppose it depends on how much the game means to you.

Now look at the attendances year on year and you can only say it's getting bigger, take the Quins game for example it's a none entity with only one winner and they bring about 30 fans on a good day yet this years attendance was 11,506 which can't be sniffed at. Catalans at home again they bring 10 on a good day yet the attendance this year was 10,056 again not to shoddy.

Overall I agree we don't get the fans that say Wigan, Leeds or Hull FC get and I'm not sure of the reason but if our average keeps increasing every year then were heading in the right direction, let's see what the attendance is like after we've had our stadium expansion.

Definately down to cost in our house. Son has a student membership which was costly and goes to most away matches which have to be paid for.

Too expensive for dad to go to the home games too so he has to watch on TV :lol:

Would be nice to all be able to go to some of the home matches as a family though from time to time but costs too much :cry: (not sure if the son would want us there though :wink: )

through Warrington Town we are sponsoring tomorrow's game with a table of 12 - another few quid and also bought 100 show your true colour scarfs supporting the club's charities - not quite a free loader like some members of the media :wink:
why did Town sponsor a Wolves match ? Isn't money tight at the club ?

through Warrington Town we are sponsoring tomorrow's game with a table of 12 - another few quid and also bought 100 show your true colour scarfs supporting the club's charities - not quite a free loader like some members of the media :wink:

Andy - in the business world you have to speculate to accumulate. We are out banging the drum for Warrington Town and have employed our first full-time employee.

You have to spend money to make money - especially when money is tight.

Warrington Town's profile was raised in front of over 10,000 people on Sunday and we also had Roger Hunt and Mickey Thomas fighting our corner. Add these to the good work already being done by Gary owen and Graeme Sharpe and you will see it is all part of our bigger plan.

Take a trip into Golden square and look at the new poster - while Golden Square have donated the space the artwork was not cheap.

I hope that offers enough of an explanation for you.

None of the money we have spent has come out of the playing budget. :wink:

Andy - in the business world you have to speculate to accumulate. We are out banging the drum for Warrington Town and have employed our first full-time employee.

Warrington Town's profile was raised in front of over 10,000 people on Sunday and we also had Roger Hunt and Mickey Thomas fighting our corner. Add these to the good work already being done by Gary owen and Graeme Sharpe and you will see it is all part of our bigger plan.

Take a trip into Golden square and look at the new poster - while Golden Square have donated the space the artwork was not cheap.

Still waiting to see a piccie. :roll:

Still waiting to see a piccie. :roll:

Well you should check out my facebook page then :roll::wink:

Warrington Town's profile was raised in front of over 10,000 people on Sunday and we also had Roger Hunt and Mickey Thomas fighting our corner.

If those 10,000 people didn't already know Warrington had a football team then your screwed in the first place :lol::lol:

How do you work that one out then?

One of our former managers lived in Penketh all his life totally unaware of Warrington Town, was introduced to the club and stayed part of the set up for 20 years investing time and money during one of the club's most successful periods in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Ive known about Warrington Town for the last 25-30 years but I have never stepped foot inside its ground or even cared to watch a game. Warrington is a RL town and Football will never take off, especially with a good number of Premier League clubs within spitting distance.

I fail to see how being an executive matchday sponsor at the wolves will increase the exposure of Warrington Town. To me it smacks of unneccesary cost just to massage the ego's of the powers that be at Warrington Town.

If you did a straw poll of people who attended the game on sunday i fear only a handful would have been able to tell you who the exectutive matchday sponsor was. Also did anyone apart from Warrington Town officials know that Roger Hunt and Mickey Thomas were in attendance on Sunday?

I dont know how much it cost Warrington Town but whatever it was could and should have been spent elsewhere. As I said above I think it served the Warrington officials more than the Warrington Town club itself. Self Indulgence is the phrase.

CP.. Gary said in a previous post that "none of the money spent came out of the playing budget" so stop whinging :lol:

Personally considering the cost of advertising these days I don't think the cost is that bad (if a person/company can afford it)considering what they would have got for it ie :

a great day out...

their meals

their match seats

a full page matchday programme advert

acknowledgement on the commercial page of the programme

complementary photo's of the day with the Man of the Match

post match presentation with Man of the Match and a commemorative souvenir gift.

company name on electronic score board

man of the Match announced in association with Warrington Town.

PA announcement at the beginning of the game.

So a great way to advertise to a large local audience who are into watching 'ball games' and all tax deductable too I think :wink:

Dizzy I admire your loyalty to Gary but your post just reconfirms what i have already said. Most of the benefits you have listed above are of benefit to the clubs owners/directors rather than the club itself.

All that money spent, tax deductable or not, was not justified as it failed to reach the masses end of.

Erm excuse me but I was giving my own view ... I was not being loyal to Gary (who I have never met in my life) and Gary will really laugh at your comment as I'm often critical of his things :lol:

How have I reconfirmed what you said though? ADVERTISING benefits the footy club and also benefits the wolves. I also just read in the local magazine that two wolves players attended the footy club recently for a Q&A night which raised ?3k for the footy club.

So swings and roundablouts and two local sport teams working together to promote each other 'maybe' ?

As for failing to reach the masses? How do you know it did? It will have reached more people than the ?2k we spent to advertise on all the stadium tv screens some years ago which were never shown but that's another story :evil:

Rather than raising to the bait wot Dizzy said!

One point I would like to make to CP - more people (especially kids) play football in Warrington than Rugby League.

Historically we have always been known for our Rugby league and I have no issue with that and applaud everything the Wolves have achieved.

But a successful football team in the town will bring even greater economic benefits - as football is the national, international and global game.

Take your blinkers off CP and come down to Town next season as my VIP guest at my expense and enjoy some of our new facilities.

Bring your whol efamily for a nice afternoon out - you will be pleasantly surprised.

Even if you don't like football you will enjoy the experience - I guarantee it.

That goes for you too Dizzy - it is about time we met!

:)

A very generous offer Gary but I still dont have any inclination to watch Warrington Town. In all honesty football is one big turn off these days. I have supported a premiership team for almost 30 years now and I can only watch their games these days but only to keep in touch with how they are doing.

Football, admittedly at the top end, is completely out of touch with its working class routes. The players are massively overpaid for their talents or lack of in some cases and the game itself is massively over hyped.

I wish Warrington Town well but football isn't for me anymore.

And just to clarify, I think the money the club spent sponsoring the game on Sunday could have been invested more wisely but thats upto you and your fellow directors.

but thats upto you and your fellow directors.

Just about sums it up, now you can crawl back into your cosy RL hole.

More like you can sling your hook. This is a RL forum after all.

I do believe you wendy ballers have your own place to go too.

Are you being paid for being the Forum prat or does it come naturally?

I like and watch most sports but I laugh at richard heads who come along denigrating other sports just to give an impression of being smart when as usual it has the opposite effect.

BTW, I will back my number of RL games watched against yours any time you like.

A very generous offer Gary but I still dont have any inclination to watch Warrington Town. In all honesty football is one big turn off these days. I have supported a premiership team for almost 30 years now and I can only watch their games these days but only to keep in touch with how they are doing.

Football, admittedly at the top end, is completely out of touch with its working class routes. The players are massively overpaid for their talents or lack of in some cases and the game itself is massively over hyped.

I wish Warrington Town well but football isn't for me anymore.

And just to clarify, I think the money the club spent sponsoring the game on Sunday could have been invested more wisely but thats upto you and your fellow directors.

Well I tried my best!

:roll: