Building for anything but housing?

robot

In the wake of the loss of another industrial development within Warrington (900 Houses to be built on Dawson House- 12th Oct)...

Can anyone tell me what investment is being made in encouraging industry and job creation within Warrington? Have any new industrial facilities, or the like, that can provide work for the unemployed already here in Warrington been put into planning? Warrington's "Vision for the Future" thingy).

Only I think the Council's mania for building on anything bigger than a garden lawn might be excused, if the developments actually contributed to Warrington's economic and industrial output, rather than just providing houses all the time! And I find it deeply ironic that Dawson House will most probably disappear under yet more housing long before anyone cuts a blade of grass on the Omega site!! Then again, with all the new commuters, potential in vestors in Omega would be put off by all the "traffic problems"! (Hey maybe Warrington Council wants to become the World's Largest Housing Estate? Itd certainly be promoting the town cheaply...)

Seems a shame that Warrington cant take advantage of all the skills and brains on their doorstep and develop an industrial reputation of our own, instead of haning onto the cities' coat-tails!

Originally posted by robot:

Seems a shame that Warrington cant take advantage of all the skills and brains on their doorstep and develop an industrial reputation of our own,

We had a very vibrant industrial town years ago but sucessive governments have destroyed manufacturing and anything remotely industrial that doesn't have a computer chip in it.

As for the workforce, if we have such a brainy and skilfull set of workers on our doorstep, how come I can never find anyone when I advertise except for applicants from Ilford who see the advert in their jobcentre and apply anyway, knowing they won't get it but in the eyes of the dole, they are being seen to be trying to find work!and why are there so many Eastern Europeans working here?

One other thing.... where is Dawson House? I don't know that one

[ 12.10.2007, 19:50: Message edited by: BazJ ]

De-industrialisation came with the desire by customers (us); to buy the cheapest commodities; thus Japan, Taiwan and now India and China, where labour is cheap, provide us with our cheap goods: and the factory fodder being produced by our schools, or the Uni-graduate with the mickey mouse degree, are consigned to super-markets, call centres or the dole. :(

Take your point, but Japan is no longer a land of cheap labour.....so much so that they themselves export work to low labour cost economies, which rather conveniently are relatively close to their shores.

Interestingly, those British based manufacturing companies that have survived, are world beaters. I have an acquaintance who owns a ?100 million annual turnover precision manufacturing business in Rotherham, and his business is a world leader competing against cheap....British branded..... imports from the likes of China.

There are many examples of factories making a profit, and having plenty of customers, yet still closing down. The usual reason is the land they are sited. It makes far more money to sell it off for housing development.

Examples are:-Lockers (Howley), Spectra (Arpley Meadows). Rylands weren't making a fortune but could surely have been relocated to a smaller site. Imagine how much that land was worth.

Don't mention Greenalls...

Read the Council's Employment Land Survey 2007 and you will see that the Council has allocated sufficient land for employment development (including the Omega scheme) for the plan period. As for a "well-skilled" workforce... I don't think so, or they'd already be working. Ob alluded to the snobbishness of the average Brit when it comes to work - most think they are entitled to a cushy office job, anything less is "beneath them" :roll:

[ 16.10.2007, 09:14: Message edited by: McBain ]

Originally posted by McBain:

Ob alluded to the snobbishness of the average Brit when it comes to work - most think they are entitled to a cushy office job, anything is "beneath them" :roll: [/QB]

Probably something to do with being waited on hand and foot at home, and the incompetence of the people who "teach" them the jobs. :roll:

how come I can never find anyone when I advertise except for applicants from Ilford who see the advert in their jobcentre and apply anyway
Interesting point Baz, Ive noticed when Jobhunting through the JobCentre's own website that there seems to be very few jobs in Warrington, and how quickly the listings seem to list jobs in far flung places in Britain. Perhaps next time when doing a search I should put a different postcode in! (And yes I do know of the "other" Warrington- Warrington Olney (in Bucks)- that may explain why Newbury seems to keep cropping up I close matches).

Mind you, as the Employment Agencies in town seemed to have "bagged" the advertising for most vacancies in Warrington, leaving the less 'desireable' vacancies for the dear old DSS, maybe its not surprising.

[ 17.10.2007, 21:51: Message edited by: robot ]

Originally posted by robot:

In the wake of the loss of another industrial development within Warrington (900 Houses to be built on Dawson House- 12th Oct)...

Can anyone tell me what investment is being made in encouraging industry and job creation within Warrington? Have any new industrial facilities, or the like, that can provide work for the unemployed already here in Warrington been put into planning? Warrington's "Vision for the Future" thingy).

Here at Warrington-worldwide we are investing in the town's future with a policy or employing local people - every single person within our organisation lives in the borough.

We also use local suppliers whenever possible.

We are also backing the town's football club, with the support of organisations like the council, creating opportunities on and off the pitch.

It is not all doom and gloom.

:wink:

Hi

I presently work in Dawson House and to be honest it really is a nice modern working environment and it will be a sad day if finally the developers get planning permission. However UU have decided that the Lingley Mere site (barely 300 yards away ) is the site to centralise everyone who works both for them and in partnership with them, and it has now become the new HQ site for United Utilities. This site is presently undergoing massive expansion both in infrastructure and the no of people employed, and already dwarfs the Dawson House site by comparison - so as far as UU are concerned, who I believe may be one of the largest employers in the North West, Warrington is the best place to be both located and to expand.

Hope this helps clear up some of the doom about the possible redevelopment of the Dawson House site.