Ackers Pit.

Peter T

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what happened to the cygnets? There were 6 of them and now there is only one.

The other 5 have been missing for some time. :?

They were apparently 'evicted' from the breeding territory by their parents some time ago :cry: Guess swnas are not like us as they get rid of their juveniles as soon as possible :lol:

Think a couple of them may now be on the Manchester Ship Canal.

As for Ackers..... the swans have built a new nest so I guess it's breeding season again but the male (I think) swan gets very grumpy if you walk past :shock:

They used to have a secure purpose built nesting 'spot' in the middle of the water (safe from idiots and other preditors) but that doesn't seem to have been put back so I hope they manage to breed sucessfully this year :shock::cry:

Sadly I cant see them being left alone. :cry::evil:

Last year they were ok nesting 'where they could' as the whole of Ackers was still security fenced off but now it's completely open and the eggs will be at risk as will the little sygnets if/when they hatch :cry:

Maybe if any of the Warrington Anglers / Parish Council members read this forum (which I'm sure they do) they might consider putting temporary fencing up around the new nest area to hopefully offer it some level of protection.... and maybe they could reinstate the safe nesting box for next year :wink:

I wonder where the new porta loo will be sited once Ackers opens again? "seriously".

Eh :? Ackers is already open. Guess you don't walk round there very often Wingy :P

Didn't know it was getting a porta loo though. Who's paying for that then.. I hope it's the fishermen... cruel lot :lol:

Sorry, I should have explained better. Ackers isn't open for "fishing" just yet.

WAA are paying for the porta loo. Just think of all the sights, sounds, and smells when it is finished. Then when the smackheads take up residence, aaahhhhh, smell those Toureg campfires. :)

Someone was fishing on there yesterday.

True but the very local bailiff will be watching out for them now to remove their tackle :shock::P

A couple of thousand more new fish were put in a few weeks ago so best get down there quick before the herrons eat them all :shock::lol:

It will open for legal fishing very soon once the new fishing pegs have been installed... they are asking for volunteers if you fancy it :wink:

He definately doesn't look like Mr Motivator....... :shock: has the bailiff changed in the past few years cos we may find ourselves hiding from the wrong chap. :lol:

As for yer mams bacon butties perhaps she could make them for the fishermen :wink: See how they like being tempted by something that is not quite as good as it may seem :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read that this morning as I always check the news pages before I bother with the forum :wink::D (I'm just showing off)

After reading it I wondered what is the best food to feed them as it is fun and they are cute :wink:

Anyway conflicting info on the web. Most advice says bread is not good but others say they adapt well to all food :?

One site said the following which did make me think :shock:

1.) Feeding ducks attracts rats, pests and predators that kill ducks and endanger humans.

2.) Rotting food pollutes the water and breeds deadly diseases and parasites...

? A single outbreak of Duck Virus Enteritis (caused by artificial feeding) kills all of the ducks.

? Uneaten food quickly forms a deadly mold called Aspergillus;

fatal to ducks without early diagnosis and expensive treatment.

? Avian Botulism (caused by artificial feeding) kills entire waterfowl populations and hospitalizes people.

? Artificially fed ducks emit a parasite causing a condition

in humans called Swimmer's Itch.

3.) Ducks defacate at the site of scattered food or bread, bacteria in feces creates much higher risks for illness or disease.

4.) Most waterfowl die-offs in the past 10 years have been attributed to artificial feeding.

5.) Food waste bobbing on the water's edge is ugly.

6.) Ducks that are overfed create dangerous amounts of waste that harms fish and other animals living in ponds.

7.) Some foods like corn may be OK as a snack for ducks, but fish can't digest it and die. Seeds cause severe cramping pain in ducks.

Guess it all depends on which is your favourite ... ducks, rats or fish... although people have been feeding DUCKS !!!!!!! (edited :oops::? ) with bread for years now and they seem to have survived and enjoyed it :wink::D

It isn't only the ducks that enjoyed eating the bread. The rats were having a field day.

The banks on the Pit were undermined with rat holes and tunnels, just like a Vietnamese holliday camp. I have seen as many as eight rats having a picnic on the lawn on the bungalow opposite the run off.

Right, I nearly forgot what I was going to say.

In tonight's paper, there are a couple of local councilors (Latchford Without) demanding their rights to feed the ducks on Ackers.

They really haven't got a clue have they?

Right, I nearly forgot what I was going to say.

In tonight's paper, there are a couple of local councilors (Latchford Without) demanding their rights to feed the ducks on Ackers.

They really haven't got a clue have they?

That's why they are cllrs.

The swan has hatched one of her eggs and was giving the cygnet swimming lessons before getting back on the nest. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I took a photo of the swans and the one cygnet that had hatched a couple of weeks back. I have been wondering if the other eggs had hatched. Now I know they haven't.

Some mindless morons have smashed the other 4 eggs. What's wrong with these idiots? Is it clever or something? What kick do they get out of it? :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil: