Ackers Pit.

Peter T

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's hoping that the job can be completed now that the PC have sold the fishing rights to the anglers for a whopping ?30,000.

Where did you get that info from?As far as i know,Warrington Anglers has always & still have the fishing rights to Ackers pit.I can't believe another fishing club would pay that much.Plus W.A.A gave a large donation for the so called improvement work.

Here's hoping that the job can be completed now that the PC have sold the fishing rights to the anglers for a whopping ?30,000.

Where did you get that info from?As far as i know,Warrington Anglers has always & still have the fishing rights to Ackers pit.I can't believe another fishing club would pay that much.Plus W.A.A gave a large donation for the so called improvement work.

Byrdy... 'tiss true and the new lease is being drawn up and wallets are open.

As already mentioned Warr Anglers have always had the fishing rights but on a renewable lease.

What I cant understand is why Warr Anglers are now willing to fork out ?30k to have the fishing rights 'in perpuity' (especially given the state of Ackers now) as they have always had the rights anyway as you quite rightly point out. One thought though.... if the Ackers Land itslef ever comes up for sale they will be smiling eh :D Perhaps they know something that no-one else does :shock:

As for the Warr Anglers giving a large donation for the improvement work it was actually only ?2500.

Original money came from :

Warrington Borough Council - ?25,000

Environment Agency - ?15,000,

Warrington Anglers Association - ?2,500

Parish Council - ?2,500.

As for the Warr Anglers giving a large donation for the improvement work it was actually only ?2500.

Which as you stated was the same as the parish council,hardly *only* then.As a lifelong member of W.A.A,who fished the Ackers way back in the 1950's,i don't think it's worth anything like ?30k.

Which as you stated was the same as the parish council,hardly *only* then.As a lifelong member of W.A.A,who fished the Ackers way back in the 1950's,i don't think it's worth anything like ?30k.

Consdering all the money Warr Anglers have then I do think their ?2500 donation towards the de-silting was very low.

I still cant understand why WA are handing over the ?30k. Perhaps they are worried that WBC will pass the fishing rights to someone else like they did with Appleton Reservoir.

Who gets the ?30k anyway? Will it go to the Parish Council for spending in Stockton Heath or do WBC get all the money :shock:

Could be a smart move by WBC.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't silted up again in a couple of years time, and the problem will be the anglers.

It's already silted up in a way cos they've just moved it all to the sides to create the squishy banks and pathways :roll:

So good luck to Warr Anglers when they become responsible for maintaining them. I'd wait until it was all finished before I handed over any money or signed any new lease just incase :shock:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so it is now a year since the silt was removed from Ackers Pit.....

WHY HAS NOTHING ELSE BEEN DONE YET ?

WHY IS IT STILL FENCED OFF?

WHY DOES IT STILL LOOK LIKE A COMPLETE AND UTTER **** HOLE ?

AND WHEN WILL PEOPLE BE ABLE TO USE IT AGAIN ?

:roll::evil::twisted::roll:

PS .. The rat population seem to be making good use of it and seem to like it again though :shock::?

Didn't see the cygnets, must go and have another look. I saw the little ducklings a few weeks ago though... cute :D

As for raising more money they just got ?30,000 from the Warrington Anglers for fishing rights :shock: so surely they could be doing something even if it is just to make the newly formed 'silt' banks safer before the kids break up for summer :roll:

• 1 month later...

Not been past for Ackers a month but I saw the cygents today as I drove past. Rather big and grey but looked well all things considered :wink:

Which leads me to my next point......

WHY IS IT STILL SUCH A COMPLETE MESS AND WHY, ONCE AGAIN, IS NOTHING BEING DONE !!!!

Thought work was starting at the end of July to sort it out and yet nothing has happened and it's still completely desolate and a disgrace.

I expected that nature at least would have intervened with all the sun and rain we've had lately but it seems as though even 'mother nature' has given up :shock: The new embankments are still as stark and bleak as they were the day they were 'created'.

Surely if 'mother nature' can't get things to start growing then humans stand no chance. Even some weeds would have been nice to see :roll::cry:

Any one got any idea what is actually happening... other than nothing of course :evil::cry:

I took a look last week and was also amazed that not even weeds were growing there after such a long time. The silt must have been very old stuff that?s organically dead.

I would have thought that given the council are currently effectively dumping excess compost produced from green recycling program that they could have been called upon to donate some to rejuvenate the ground or is that idea too simple? :roll:

Bill :)

I would have thought that given the council are currently effectively dumping excess compost produced from green recycling program that they could have been called upon to donate some to rejuvenate the ground or is that idea too simple? :roll:

Probably Bill :wink:

I don't know much about gardening etc but if turf, grass seeds and other plants were planted in the 'dead' areas would they actually take root or die off after a while :?: I presume it's the latter.

Don't plant's in and around the embankments serve to oxygenate the water too for the fish... not that there are many of course.

Dismayed

I?m no gardening expert but I think only the top few inches (top soil) are good for growing and anything much below that is just plain old dirt. I?m right into ponds these days though and I can tell you that oxygenation occurs only from rapid water movement and submerged pondweed.

pict0012.jpg

This is the smaller of my two back yard ponds.

The reason I suggested the councils green waste was because I?m sure some time back I read that due to the success of the scheme, there was actually an excess of compost and that they were considering spreading it over waste land off Manchester Road. Now it doesn?t seem to make much sense to effectively dump excess compost in an out of sight area when clearly a place like Acker?s Pit is crying out for the stuff.

• 1 month later...

At last.... Ackers pit is starting to look better :D It's finally got paths and you can walk round.... :shock: Hurrah !!!!!

Infact once they get some grass and other vegetation to take root it should be back to just how it used to be... a little oasis of wildlife and tranquility :D:wink:

I wondered when you would catch up. :P:wink:

I just hope the ground "under" the gravel is solid when the wetness of winter arrives.

It is looking good.

I was confused a couple of days ago, as a lad and his Dad were sat there fishing.

Have they stocked it with fish yet? :?

:P:P You could have always told us Peter :wink:

I've been trying to stay away from all the things that were annoying me as much as possible... until now. I am no longer grumpy and I am being silently 'pro-active' rather than loudly 're-active'... 8):wink::lol:

The Warr Anglers are apparently restocking it with fish at the moment and several thousand roach were put in there way back in March to 'kick start' their population. Blummin' heck how many roach does a fisherman need :lol: Anyway it wont be open to fishing members until 2009 according to their web site so at least the fishies can enjoy themselves for now.

Guess the father and son were probably hoping to catch the elusive 20+ lb carp that was left behind with some of the tiddlers (which may now be huge too :shock: ) in the one remaining undrained area of water near the Ackers Road side when the work was carried out :D

Oooh should I have mentioned that :shock: Guess it's one way of testing the stability of the new embankments :lol::wink::lol:

Watch out for the bailiff though and take a life jacket just incase of land slips :P

• 6 months later...