Ackers Pit.

Peter T

Glad to hear that so many braved the conditions :D:wink:

Anyway I went past Ackers today (Sun) but couldn't see any difference. Which bit was done then and is that it until they get more funding?

What will happens when the winter rain starts though? Wont all the embankments just wash away or get water logged and squishy (technical term)if they are all silt now? :o

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe best to give a certain property developer a call, he'll sort the problem out, might even offer a bit of money for the site......but it does need some remedial work....so maybe not.....might even want paying now to take it on. :D

Not sure how this whole sorry episode can be given a positive spin and put in the next edition of the L/D rag. Maybe best that they stick to painting mile markers and leave well alone letting nature take its course. :D

Originally posted by Dismayed:

What will happens when the winter rain starts though? Wont all the embankments just wash away or get water logged and squishy (technical term)if they are all silt now? :o [/QB]

You can't think of things like that!!!! :o

You will cause nervous breakdowns.

Originally posted by Peter:

You can't think of things like that!!!! :o

You will cause nervous breakdowns.

Can't help but think Peter, sorry. Pity 'them wots dun it' didn't think first too eh.

And if I'm having a nervous breakdown with everything that's going everyone else can too :onfire:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Not sure how this whole sorry episode can be given a positive spin and put in the next edition of the L/D rag. Maybe best that they stick to painting mile markers and leave well alone letting nature take its course. :D

:D

but fair's fair Paul, it's not only the L/D's who that use the "we"....

See Shiela Woodyatt (Conservative) on the front page news re Woolston High School closure new consultations, saying ' "WE" will consider all views and comments before making a future decisions...' No "SHE" wont becasue she hasn't got a blummin clue what she's doing and does what she's told to do AGAIN through complete lack of understanding :roll:

And no "THEY" wont as their decision has been made. :roll:

Anyway back to Ackers.....

To clarify, I meant the "we" was used in a way that implied that they were paying for it themselves when in fact they were spending "our" money and taking the credit for it.

With regards to Woolston, as I post I am also reading "interesting" correspondence between a school govenor in that area and Helen Jones the MP.....all is not maybe what it seems....and Labour doth complain too much me thinks regarding closure schools....who was the prime mover in the closure of the Oliver Plunkett School some years ago. :wink:

To clarify, I meant the "we" was used in a way that implied that they were paying for it themselves when in fact they were spending "our" money and taking the credit for it.

With regards to Woolston, as I post I am also reading "interesting" correspondence between a school govenor in that area and Helen Jones the MP.....all is not maybe what it seems....and Labour doth complain too much me thinks regarding closure schools....who was the prime mover in the closure of the Oliver Plunkett School some years ago. :D

As for school the governors 'interesting' correspondence over the Woolston School matter are you going to spill the beans?.. A certain SH school Governor had a little more to say than most people realised too... :wink:

No idea what the Oliver Plunkett School is though :wink:

But anyway arent we talking about Ackers here....I'm happy for you to start another new thread on the other issue if you like.... :P

• 1 month later...

Weird goings on at Ackers then according to Gary's report from todays news.

I noticed the posters and tree markings last week and thought the Parish Council bods were doing their bit by sharing some local history with people.

It appears not though from the report but perhaps the council bods that have messed Ackers up should have kept their mouths shut and taken the credit as I was actually quite impressed with it.

Wouldn't describe the ones I saw as 'Brightly coloured ribbons' though as they were more like 2 foot coloured wraps aroud certain trees. Perhaps they have changes since.

Can't see why anyone else would go to so much trouble.

Perhaps its something to do with the roman bust they found when work started and the long gone spirits from various past times are taking control now :o:o

• 1 month later...

Drove past Ackers today and there's water in it (probably due to the rain). Was glad to see they havent managed to fill the top end in after all although the sides do seem somewhat steep and deep now (good for fishing though :D )

Aslo picked up a copy of January's Village Life which has Ackers on the cover and a couple of articles covering it.

Gary you turncoat... :P

Anyway as reported, grass seed has been planted and the only thing that is apparently needed now is for 'Mother Nature to be given time to finish the work carried out by the contractors'.

Mother Nature's charges are however no longer free as the chairman of the Parish Council says they also need another ?30,000 to return Ackers to it's former glory. :confused:

Surely if it's costing in excess of ?87,000 we should expect more than just returning it to how it was minus the silt :confused:

When it's all finally complete WHO will be paying to restock all the fish that were removed or wont they bother after all it will be expensive.

OK so I shouldn't laugh.. :D:D

but Tuesdays news reports that Cllr Tudor Pole of Stockton Heath Parish Council (the council behind the Ackers mess) says the newly formed banks of the restored Ackers are "treacherous"....

Why??..... becasue he and 5 other members of the PC made a site visit and they ALL got stuck in the mud and had to help each other out.

Oh to have had a camera :D:D:D

but good on him for being honest about it :wink:

• 5 weeks later...

Front page news today.......

IT could be another 12 months before Stockton Heath beauty spot Ackers Pit is restored to its former glory, dismayed residents have been told..... Chairman Coun Graham Roughsedge replied: "If you wait 12 months or more it will be back to where it was."
Well whooppee doo.... job well done :roll:

That will mean two years and god knows how much money to remove a bit of silt :roll:

All the kids who fished there may as well apply for adult fishing licences as this rate :roll:

• 1 month later...

One hopes that the voters of Stockton Heath record their disatisfaction at the ballot box.

It is worth noting that WREN get their money from you and I by way of the landfill tax.

Disatisfaction .. it would be nice to see the last '6 letters' of the word being used and the blummin' mess they have created sorted out ! :o

Posted by wingnut

Chaps from the Fire Station are very interested in the high bank.

That is a disaster waiting to happen

The wole bank side on the steeper bits needs re-engineering, it would be much safer to have a perpendicular side with green oak pilings for support. The current slopes are dangerous by design, and encourage people to the waters edge, where they will inevitably slip in. That is of course if they can get through the silt without getting bogged down first.

:scared:

After almost ?50,000 spent it's STILL not looking any better yet and it was still squishy yesterday :roll:

Here's hoping that the job can be completed now that the PC have sold the fishing rights to the anglers for a whopping ?30,000 :shock:

One way of them getting some of the money back that has been wasted I suppose :(:roll::evil: