Ackers Pit.

Peter T

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the full story.

My post was more about the wildlife since it has been drained.

Icon 1 posted 02-03-2007 18:17 Profile for DS Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Fish "rescued" as

lake clean-up starts

by David Skentelbery

THOUSANDS of fish have been "rescued" from Ackers Pit at Stockton Heath, near Warrington in readiness for a major improvement scheme involving draining the lake.

Members of Warrington Anglers Association have spent several days removing fish and releasing them in the Bridgewater Canal.

Thousands of carp, however, have had to be humanely destroyed because of the risk of infection.

Work is expected to start soon on the actual draining of the pond. Then excavators will move in to remove tonnes of silt which has accumulated over nearly 100 years.

The whole project will cost ?48,000 with the aim of restoring the lake as a wildlife haven and local beauty spot.

Peter Briggs, clerk to Stockton Heath Parish Council, said: "The work is necessary to enable the pond to continue in its present format providing habitat for the fish, swans, ducks and other wildlife and a 'green oasis' for residents and visitors." The silt will be deposited on site behind new pond edges. This will slightly reduce the surface area of the lake, but will allow development of new areas of open space and paths for visitors. Existing paths will be re-surfaced.

A number of grants have been acquired to help with funding, including ?15,000 from the Environment Agency, ?25,000 from an environment improvement fund and assistance from Warrington Anglers Association who use the site.

When the project is completed, the anglers association will organise re-stocking of the lake.

Peter

In your quote it said that Thousands of carp, however, have had to be humanely destroyed because of the risk of infection.

Does that meant that none of the carp were transferred to the Bridgewater Canal and were all destroyed and only the other fish eg bream etc etc were moved? Any idea ? :o

Seems such a shame to have killed so many becasue of the risk of infection as there were some good fish in there. Wonder if they caught the famous one who for years had apparently lived under the bridge which many a fisherman/fisherchild always had high hopes of catching.

I realise there was a quite a problem last year on the canal with carp unexpectedly dying but surely the ones from Ackers could have been moved to a 'safe area' of some sort, perhaps at a local fishery, then moved back home again when the work was completed.

[ 11.03.2007, 22:30: Message edited by: Dismayed ]

Originally posted by Peter:

Dismayed,

I have no idea. I pasted that from the News Review.

Perhaps you might be able to contact Frank Lythgoe of Warrington Anglers who should have the answers.

Hi Peter

Thanks but not really much point in contacting the chap as the deed has been done. Poor little fishes :(

Perhaps the ones which are now in the canal will be better off anyway as there's more space to swim off and hide from the dreaded hook and the mad humans who sit there all day, with only maggots as companions, in the hope of catching one of them :D:D

• 2 months later...

Seems like the Ackers Pit revamp is going a bit pear shaped according to Gary's News for today.

It took forever to drain as it kept filling up again.. they finally got that sorted then had to wait for it to all dry out enough for the actual work to start.

So it's only been about two weeks since they started work on removing the silt and now its been stopped...... eh ?? Thought they had ?48k to do it with anyway :D

As of next Monday, Cllr Jordan becomes the Mayor, so maybe she will be able to sort it.....it can be another story for their newsletter......or maybe one for Patrick Mullee's if it goes "pear shaped" :D

PS If the money runs out they can always let it dry out, pile it, and use the land for low cost housing which is much needed in SH. :wink:

[ 18.05.2007, 14:29: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Work must still be on hold as there's been no activity at all this week and it all looks a right mess.

but guess what.... IT STARTING TO FILL UP WITH WATER.. not sure if it's intentional but bottom ends almost full again YIPPEE.. happy ducks at last ?!!?

Cant help wondering how they will clear the other end now though as it's all wet again and I do wish someone would move the big curcular saw blade that's still sticking out of the silt in the middle of the pit :roll:

I can't weigh up what they are trying to do.

They haven't cleared ALL the silt, and don't look like they are going to, and as you say, if they carry on dumping it on the sides, the Pit will end up like a puddle.

Acker's Puddle? Doesn't sound right. :(

Peter Seems like no-one can figure it out. But looks like the newly found name of 'Ackers Puddle' is catching on.

Apparently there was more silt than they thought (which was reported somewhere.. on here I think)

so considering they weren't never actually moving any of it off site anyway maybe that's caused the problem, who knows ?

What do they do when the dredge the Bridgewater Canal etc? All the silt and rubbish is removed and taken away (ie: not placed on the embankements) so why couldn't they do the same with Ackers? :D

Just think we could all be fishing instead... if there were any fish left :roll: !!!

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Isn't silt deemed to be a hazardous waste, requiring special handling and treatment and therefore expensive. :roll: )

So......is it not classed as 'hazardous' if it's kept on the same site and just moved from one spot to another with a JCB then?

Perhaps the silt problem was caused by the overplanting of trees on the far side etc. They are rather dense for such a small area :roll:

Didn't the news story(on the Front Page) say that they had got funding to shift so many scoops/bucket loads of silt?

I thought the plan was to shift the silt into areas around the pit, now known as Puddle, thus creating larger areas for Joe Public, and those with nowt to do. (The Anglers)

Originally posted by Peter:

Didn't the news story(on the Front Page) say that they had got funding to shift so many scoops/bucket loads of silt?

I thought the plan was to shift the silt into areas around the pit, now known as Puddle, thus creating larger areas for Joe Public, and those with nowt to do. (The Anglers)

seem to remember it said 1600 'scoops'... only remembered cos it made me laugh at the time :D

I'd imagine the only people using the larger areas would be gangs of kids with nowhere else to go at night.... I'd rather have more water, more fishes, more ducks...

As for the Anglers.... there wouldnt be as many as they'd be so cramped around the 'puddle' they'd just catch each other or poke the person opposite in the eye with their long poles :D:D

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

I know it's asking a bit much, but maybe the Parish Councillors should have done some research before going ahead with the scheme, here would have been a possible website for them to look at:

http://www.midkentfisheries.co.uk/desiltation.htm

Good link Paul thanks.

Pity these bods werent managing it as they look like they've done some v nice work elsewhere.

PS You've still not explained the bit about the silt being 'hazardous and requiring special handling and treatment ' though... :D:wink:

Ok so I'm thick :blitzed:

You have to think back to the old days of industry, when chemicals and other materials were just dumped.

These then leeched with the heavy rains over the years, and got stuck in the silt.

Victoria Park allotments were/are contaminated with various chemicals, mostly from the tanneries.

The major problem these days is that everything has to be tested before it can be removed.

Perhaps it was the cheaper option to do what they are doing rather than pay mega bucks(that they haven't got) to remove the silt to a landfill site.

The controls over this sort of thing are horrendous.