a49 roadworks

wahl

As WBC have not reminded people,

A49 roadworks

Major road improvement works on the A49 Winwick Road at the junction with A50 Long Lane are due to start on 23 May 2011.

The existing roundabout will be removed and replaced with a traffic signal controlled junction with additional lanes to improve traffic flows.

So avoid like the plague

I came down it today at 9am towards town and it was the first time in ages that there was no traffic stuck going the other way.

The signs were in place but no 'activity' so to speak.

Everyone must have taken your advice wahl...:wink::D

I might even brave driving that way towards the college instead of using Kingsway and Long Lane tomorrow, but then again as my luck usually goes they will start tomorrow.

What's the new road they are putting in for Orford Park though as there aleady seems to be a new there :?

I am avoiding it and people i know are, so probably why its quiet.

The road into the park will have lights put on it. So as well as the lights replacing the roundabout, there will eb additional lights for the pedestrian crossing and then further lights for the park.

Do we have a European light mountain that we have to get rid of?

Could be pretty much stop and start with all those lights then if they don't get them right :?

They could save millions by just leaving it all as it is and leaving the big yellow 'delays possible' signs in place and the odd mention on the local news pages. That alone has certainly made a huge difference as it was quiet both ways again this morning at 9am :wink:

Still no sign of any works activity though. Perhaps they are 'avoiding' it too.

If people are avoiding it though which way are they going instead as from our end the traffic up Kingsway and along Long Lane was no worse than usual either. I tend to go that way on my outward journey to avoid the delays on Mersey Street and near the cockhedge as I've still not sussed out what time the stupid traffic lights on the island are on as they cause delays.

Guess this is just the calm before the storm :?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been along Winwick Road / Long Lane since they started the road works (I presume they have started now as I've not been down that way since I last posted )

What's it like traffic wise as I need to go that way later today :?

you can't say you haven't been warned.

the chaos extended back to Cromwell Avenue being inaccessible due to inconsiderate drivers on a49 blocking road junction

The poor traffic light sequence did not help either. Perhaps no one has told the light people that their lights need changing.

Who is paying for extra lighting at new junction? shares in siemens ?

Trouble with the Cromwell Rd roundabout was that if you waited until your exit to continue on the A49 was clear then the lights would change and whatever gap had developed would fill up with traffic coming from IKEA way, so you'd never move. But if you took the opportunity to get onto the roundabout when the lights were green then once you were on it there was nowhere else to go.

No win situation.

It appeared to be down from 3 lanes to just 1 at the Alban roundabout so that 2 blokes with a mini-digger had plenty of elbow room to dig a hole in the central reservation - there was nothing on the carriageway itself at all!

Trouble with the Cromwell Rd roundabout was that if you waited until your exit to continue on the A49 was clear then the lights would change and whatever gap had developed would fill up with traffic coming from IKEA way, so you'd never move. But if you took the opportunity to get onto the roundabout when the lights were green then once you were on it there was nowhere else to go.

No win situation.

It appeared to be down from 3 lanes to just 1 at the Alban roundabout so that 2 blokes with a mini-digger had plenty of elbow room to dig a hole in the central reservation - there was nothing on the carriageway itself at all!

From the sounds of it there was plenty on the carriageway. Pity we have no toll road to avoid it eh? :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

From the BBC News Website today:

The Mayor of Carmel, Jim Brainard, has become America's evangelist-in-chief on the matter, demolishing 78 sets of traffic lights and replacing them with those round islands so familiar to drivers in the UK. Four more will be finished in the coming months.

"We have more than any other city in the US," he says, standing proudly in front of one. "It's a trend now in the United States. There are more and more roundabouts being built every day because of the expense saved and more importantly the safety."

He quotes a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety which suggests there is on average a 40% decrease in all accidents and a 90% drop in fatal ones when a traffic intersection is replaced by a roundabout.

The long-term financial saving is about £150,000, he says, due to reduced maintenance costs, and there are also fuel savings.

"Not just the cars that aren't idling at traffic lights, but starting from a dead stop takes up more fuel also, so we are saving thousands of gallons of fuel per roundabout per year," says the Republican mayor.

And yet Warrington are doing the opposite. :blink:

I was at ASDA Westbrook yesterday and those traffic lights are terrible for everyone, the amount of time that is wasted. And the same will probably happen with this on Winwick Road. All that was needed at ASDA Westbrook was some road widening, a couple of bus lay-bys and a bit of help for pedestrians wanting to cross.

It reminds me of Lee Evans when he did a bit about traffic lights as part of his routine, and needing to stop when nothing is around.

• 4 months later...

I notice the roundabout has gone and the temp lights are in. If they are going to run this program when fully installed god help us. Yesterday took 3 cycles to get to turn right to Albarn (a49 s/bound). This morning que to get through them was from halfway between Winwick & Newton -Le - Willows. No need to make this route 20, if anyone got over 10mph they would be lucky!

Only in Warrington would we make it more difficult for people to get into the town.

I notice the roundabout has gone and the temp lights are in. If they are going to run this program when fully installed god help us. Yesterday took 3 cycles to get to turn right to Albarn (a49 s/bound). This morning que to get through them was from halfway between Winwick & Newton -Le - Willows. No need to make this route 20, if anyone got over 10mph they would be lucky!

Only in Warrington would we make it more difficult for people to get into the town.

It's all a plan to get you to leave your cars at home and use public transport. :wink:

On the other hand if more people used them there would be fewer cars on the road and traffic may move quicker. :wink:

well in this age of austerity Cleo, it is cheaper to buy a Bentley and run it than it is to catch a bus to town on a regular basis!! :wink:

Wazza?????????????????????? Werezat?

Tell you what Adrian, don’t judge the system by temporary lights. I thought exactly the same when they did the Holes Lane junction on Manchester Road but once the new lights were fully installed the transformation was fantastic. I’ve got to say if they can make lights work this well here then what the hells wrong with most of the others across the town?

Bill :)

I understand that Bill, and I did say originally, if they keep this sequence, however the slip road to go right from A49 southbound to the Alban is short and as a result any short delay will back up onto the main stretch thus causing q's. WBC dont exactly have a good track record on lights do they and this is one set they cannot afford to get wrong.