Past Warrington Cinemas

algy

Some of the older members may find this of interest.

Past Warrington (&Lymm) Cinemas.

Here are some of the cinemas in Warrington (& Lymm) which are no longer around.

* The ones I remember

CENTRAL Sankey St

THE EMPIRE* Buttermarket St

LYMM CINEMA Lymm

THE GEM Sankey St

THE ODEON* Buttermarket St

THE GRAND* Wilderspool Road

THE PALACE* Friars Gate

THE PARK Sankey St

THE PAVILION* Lovely Lane

PICTUREDROME/CAMEO* Sankey St

PREMIER* Powell St, Latchford

THE REGENT* Scotland Road

THE RITZ (ABC)* Bridge Foot

THE QUEEN'S* Orford Lane

STAR KINEMA* Church St

Good posting-even I don't remember some of them, although my dad always spoke about there being a few in Sankey street-as mentioned above, probably. He used to refer to the Regent as the "blood-tub".

Told this one before, which I'm sure is only partly true. The Cameo used to be a penny or a jamjar to get in. a long line of children plonked a jamjar on the counter and went inside. A posh fellow then came along and plonked a half crown down.

The manager thanked him and said "here's your 29 jamjars change".

Happy days

I started this very thread on WW about fifteen years ago and it proved very interesting. Your list covers about every one - I can't think of any that are missing.

Just to give y'all some idea of the quality of most of the places listed, with the exception of the Ritz , Odeon and Empire, the others stank, literally!!! The Star Kinema, across from the Marquis Of Granby pub on Manchester Road, had long wooden benches instead of seats and a bare board wooden floor. Believe it or not, the patrons, mostly kids, would use the bathroom right where they were sitting - sometimes you could look down and see it rolling downhill between your feet. When you walked into the place you were overwhelmed by the stench of urine. The film jumping and breaking every five minutes all added up to an unusual evenings entertainment . Why would you go? You could sit on the back row with your girlfriend and smoke your head off and no one would bother you, even though you were still in short pants !!!!!

The Star Kinema and others eventually showed the pictures we couldn't afford to see at the likes of the Ritz; Empire and Odeon (the first two had cafe's therein, although I was never so lucky)

The Star changed its programme three times a week and it was cheap. Hygiene didn't feature highly in those days. Price was the determining factor.

Happy days

Good posting-even I don't remember some of them,

I'll refresh the bit of your memory that you still had on Sat 10 April last year (2010) Harry :D

Happy days. This old fogey is not "with it" re modern buildings - so forgive if I take you down memory lane.

Odeon, across the road from the Britannia pub in Buttermarket stree (opposite to the gas/electric show rooms)(by ellisons cycle shop)

Empire, 100 yards closer to market gate on the same road.(Waterfields? cake shop)

Cameo - corner of Springfield street/Sankey street. My dad called it the Blood tub and at one time it was a penny or a jam-jar to get in.

Pavilion - Lovely lane at junction with Green street (by Barbara Laws shoe shop and more recently Hawthorn engineering and the co-op)

Queens- Orford lane/Longford street. Now a car wash I think. The one place of real magic in the town.

Star Kinema - Cheapest in town Church street - more or less opposite the snicket. Catteralls DIY and just before the Elizabethan cottage

Regent - Scotland road, close to Stubs (opposite side of the road to the Odeon rear entance and about 120 yards nearer Horsemarket street)

Grand - Wilderspool road, more or less opposite the old Norton Arms and close to the level crossing - roughly at the back of Marshalls gardens

Ritz - where the night club which was Mr Smiths now is - nearly opposite Garlands car showroom and Harry Boyles dance studio. Catch a green Liverpool bus by the river bank)

Premier - as described earlier - being pedantic, no ' E' on the end if my memory is correct.

Palace - now a bingo hall, opposite the Red rose cafe and Old house at home pub. Back of the Feathers.

There was also a cinema in Lymm, near to the Dam.

Happy days

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...