Posties used rubbers on the street!

Geoffrey Settle

This is an old one but given that the cost of posting letters has gone up again - should posties be saving and reusing their rubber bands.

The other week I picked up over 20 red ones in one close in Penketh and today I found more near to where I live on the pavement alongside the main road.

Surely they don't just ping into the air and out of sight.

It would appear that it's only certain mail deliverers who either have poor eyesight :shock: or can't bend down to pick them up :cry: and save them for tomorrows round. :roll:

Have you seen any other examples where recycling would have been a good thing to do?

To get your minds boggling, I use the red rubber bands for a variety of reasons. They don't seem anything like as common as they used to be - my own postie doesn't drop them and the town centre seems pretty free as well

Suppose it depends on your postman,and just in case I get banned(punny and don't say for a long stretch), post-woman.

Happy days

Years ago we used to collect the rubber bands the posties discarded as they were everywhere, great for making rubber balls and firing off our fingers at targets (mostly non human of course... honest :oops: ).

It's something I'd completely forgotten about until you posted this Geoff as I must admit it's many years since I remember seeing any lying around on pavements etc.

I must ask my postie tomorrow and hopefully he may start dropping a few so I can 'educate' the kids round here :wink:

Surely a man of your intelligence can figure it out Geoff :lol::P

If you want to do it the proper way I'll give you a clue "stretch, twist, double, stretch, twist, double etc and finally release".. or you could try bunching a few together and wrapping a band round those to get you going I guess.

Anyway here's one my son did and it's a very neat way to store your elastic bands too (ps that's your post in the background' :wink:

IMG_2356.jpg

I've still not found any elastic bands on the pavements round here though.

Thanks Dizzy a really good friend of mine used to make them at work - it helped him concentrate - mind you when he threw it at the wall you had to hide under your desk and watch out because it had the power of a golf ball and could fly anywhere :wink:

I don't think it's much to do with intelligence :idea: , although he was a computer whizz but it's about technique :lol: .

I picked up another two outside the Town Hall on Friday so my little ball is now a small ellipse and doesn't bounce well ? but it is growing. So watch out if I launch it in your rubber band street :wink: .

How long did it take your son to make that one :?:

Surprised this debate can go on for so long without someone pointing out that discarded rubber bands in the street can be mistaken by birds for worms. They try to eat them - and choke to death!

I think this comes under the banner of natural selection. The birds that aren't stupid enough to eat rubber bands live to pass on their more intelligent genes. JH, I think you come under the "if something bad happens the human did it" label :wink::wink:

Apparently you can shoot pigeons and magpies without getting in trouble...

You can't shoot blackbirds though as they are protected.

So if a person dropped a rubber band and it was eaten by and killed a blackbird could they get sued :wink: