Worsening Driving Standards?

kevofaz25

Well just when I thought I had seen about every sort of idiocy on the road something comes along that proves me wrong.

This morning (Sunday for those who are just catching up on Monday morning) I was heading towards the father in laws. As a nice surprise only saw two of the lycra warriors on the road and that was near town centre. The usual number is about a dozen migrating south.

Any how I got to the forty limit heading towards the crem and tootled up to 42 mph, well there was a four by four adding the 2 mph to my speed as he/she was close enough to give me a push. I had just passed the left hand bend at the start when in my nearside mirror I noted a blue car approaching. I took little notice thinking that it was just a trick of the curvature of the road. Imagine my surprise when a few seconds later this car shot past me on the inside at at least 50mph and proceeded to disappear into the distance.

So that would be at least three offences in the space of about twenty yards.

1) undertaking the car in front, definitely frowned upon by the police.

2) exceeding the speed limit, another no no to the local constabulary.

3) driving down a marked cycle lane, another one that the bobby dislikes.

I was really grateful that the usual clutch of lycra warriors were not out this morning as they would certainly have been mown down. The thing that gets me though is that the car was just pulling right at the lights at walton as I approached them so all that haste and dangerous driving was for nothing. :?:shock:

what no mention of putting on lipstick, smoking, eating, singing, shouting at the kids, picking their nose, cb radio, police radio, changing radio station !!!

there is no difference between using a mobile phone and any of those above just driver distractions...just that someone decided to make the things "he/she" didnt do illegal.

did all these drivers successfully navigate the road..or crash due their incompetence?

maybe the fact they could use their phone and had confidence that they did not wear a seatbelt was a sign of how good a driver they were?

proofs in the pudding.

I venture to suggest that driving standards are higher now than they have ever been, particularly considering the amount of traffic there is about. Certainly the amount of people keeping within and just without the speed limit is much improved - not too many racers around.

It may be because I look old and pathetic, but there seems to be a goodly amount of courtesy around as well.

Happy days

Got to report it as I see it. Thirty years police experience helps. Some things are intangible but I'm sure there are a lot less mad drivers about than formerly and certainly less actually drunk drivers. Cameras also help people to moderate their speed and I

think a lot of people have the points system on their mind. Drive down,say Knutsford Road at 30, and people are now more inclined to stay behind you, or at least, modestly overtake.

On motorways people now are more savvy and lane discipline has much improved.

Happy days

I agree with you to a degree Harry, but I think it depends on the area you are driving in, one of the worst roads round here to see careless driving is Broad Lane Grappenhall, because it a steep, winding and narrow lane you see more of the idiot brigade, we also visit Shropshire quite often, regular examples of bad driving there.

Have to disagree about Knutsford Rd. Yes "sometimes" the traffic behaves, but mostly, the girl/boy racers go down there at 40mph +.

There are a lot of elderly people trying to cross that road, and it is a race track at times.

Take the blinkers off guys.

Tread carefully Harry you can't be saying stuff like that on here.

I drive a lot with my work and agree that standards both here and across the country are pretty good. Course you're always going to get the odd ones that push their luck but they're not the majority as some here would claim but a small minority.

I think it's the ones that don't drive or who don't drive a lot are the ones who tend to think all others are bad.

>Bill<

Tread carefully Harry you can't be saying stuff like that on here.

I drive a lot with my work and agree that standards both here and across the country are pretty good. Course you're always going to get the odd ones that push their luck but they're not the majority as some here would claim but a small minority.

I think it's the ones that don't drive or who don't drive a lot are the ones who tend to think all others are bad.

>Bill<

Not the point Bill. It is the minority that always spoil it for others.

the object should be to reduce the minority, rather than acknowledge them. :wink: