Generation Question

Geoffrey Settle

Which generation has it the best?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which generation has it the best?

• Under 20's
    • 21 - 40 year olds
    • 41 - 60 year olds

I'd say that many of the 60 to 80 year olds have it the best.

Retired (often early) on index linked final salary pensions, rode the property boom all the way up then cashed in when the children moved out and they downsized, life expectancy and good health in later life far better than they expected it to be when they were growing up.

Difficult to say without more critique.

Those over 60 have had it the best for lots of reasons.

Using the example of the me, me lot, (current generation), they have it good now, but will have no idea of what the real world is about or the fact that they will be paying for there countries governance until they die, as they won't be able to retire.

It's a fantasy world fuelled by stupid reality programs and millionaire footballers. Hard graft and ambition is a thing of the past.

I'd say that many of the 60 to 80 year olds have it the best.

Retired (often early) on index linked final salary pensions, rode the property boom all the way up then cashed in when the children moved out and they downsized, life expectancy and good health in later life far better than they expected it to be when they were growing up.

In your opinion some of us wrinklies may be having it reasonably well at the moment, but what you neglected to say is that most of us had very little when we were children during and just after the war years. Oh! bugger I forgot we had free milk at school. :roll:

Think it was the "baby boomers" that came into the world not knowing about the hardships suffered by their parents, and by the time they went to Nursery School (Sure Start ain't a new idea!), and received their cod liver oil, milk, free health care and their vaccinations, rationing was ending and life was picking up. They went to school, and many to Grammar Schools and on to a "free" place at University (sons of miners becoming politicians - then forgetting where they started!). And for the dross that went to Secondary Moderns, there were jobs - lots of them - in factories (actually making things) - so many jobs, that you could finish at one place on the Friday and walk into another on the Monday. So many jobs - that the Gov invited our Commonwealth cousins over from the West Indies, to drive the buses and clean our hospitals. Then amidst all this material gratification - cars, foreign holidays etc - we had the birth of irreverance and disrespect for authority, which was handed down to the sprogs. And the indulgence in all things material continued, with new ways to have what you want -NOW, and pay for it later. A game that Governments began to play , until the factories closed due to cheaper foreign imports, and all our eggs were placed in the (financial) service sector - until one day it all crashed. Luckily, most of the baby boomers had escaped the work place by then, so it was left to their kids and grand kids to pay for their trip! :lol:

Why isn't there an option for over 60's ?

Apologies Dizzy - I did go back in to add a fourth category it wouldn't let me because people had already started to add comments.

Pete - this isn't another of my Thesis - well not yet anyway - purely for fun.

I do think that the 40's to 60's have until perhaps recently have had it the best for the reasons given by Obs and the fact that they have lived through so much change.

The 60+ had it tough from the start and never let go of being careful, working hard and saving as a consequence of their early experiences when young.

The 20 - 40's - maybe a generation that benefitted from a more prosperous time from the bank of mum and dad but at what cost - is this now starting to bite and are the bites ending up on the waist line :?:

Under 20's could be the I want I get generation but are they going to be in for a shock as the Bank collapse continues to have an impact and the bank of mum and dad runs out of cash:?:

Think it was the "baby boomers" that came into the world not knowing about the hardships suffered by their parents, and by the time they went to Nursery School (Sure Start ain't a new idea!), and received their cod liver oil, milk, free health care and their vaccinations, rationing was ending and life was picking up. They went to school, and many to Grammar Schools and on to a "free" place at University (sons of miners becoming politicians - then forgetting where they started!). And for the dross that went to Secondary Moderns, there were jobs - lots of them - in factories (actually making things) - so many jobs, that you could finish at one place on the Friday and walk into another on the Monday. So many jobs - that the Gov invited our Commonwealth cousins over from the West Indies, to drive the buses and clean our hospitals. Then amidst all this material gratification - cars, foreign holidays etc - we had the birth of irreverance and disrespect for authority, which was handed down to the sprogs. And the indulgence in all things material continued, with new ways to have what you want -NOW, and pay for it later. A game that Governments began to play , until the factories closed due to cheaper foreign imports, and all our eggs were placed in the (financial) service sector - until one day it all crashed. Luckily, most of the baby boomers had escaped the work place by then, so it was left to their kids and grand kids to pay for their trip! :lol:

Good summary obs. And yours too Geoff.