Privacy V Freedom of info?

observer

Where should the line be drawn between the "right" to privacy and "freedom" of speech? Celebs are now securing injunctions through the HR Act to prevent scandalous information being revealed about them (mainly by the press). Naturally the press and some politicians are complaining that this is curtailing their freedom of speech. :?

In my opinion, these celebrities only want their injunctions to allow them to continue with the sort of behaviour that caused them to need an injunction in the first place!!

I don't necessarily think they should be hounded by the press, but if they didn't have something to hide they wouldn't have a problem.

Where should the line be drawn between the "right" to privacy and "freedom" of speech? Celebs are now securing injunctions through the HR Act to prevent scandalous information being revealed about them (mainly by the press). Naturally the press and some politicians are complaining that this is curtailing their freedom of speech. :?

Isn't scandalous behaviour today's definition of being a celebrity :?:

What is the problem, it's how some of them earn their living and they presumably get well paid for it:?:

I can't understand what the issue is, surely it's the society we have created and continue to feed off, stoked by the press.

Have you tried changing your media source OBS or changing your Celebrity life style choice of friends :D

This "it's our right to know" is another modern improvement which fails to improve anything and has turned us into a nation of busybodies with no respect for anything or anyone. It caters for the lowest common denominator in us all.

The queen; politicians; heroes of our younger days, are all savagely attacked by the press and indirectly by you and I.

Not one of us is lily-white. What individuals do in their private lives is up to them - certainly people having affairs is hardly something new.

Happy days

The press use the term "public interest", when basically the interest is in juicy gossip - it's of no consequence to the rest of us if some overpaid footballer spends his spare time in brothels - we simply don't need to know - therefore he should expect privacy from media intrusion. However, if someone in public office is engaged in corrupt activity, it would appear we do need to know. :?

Think there is corruption and corruption. We are all corrupt to a degree.

The problem with gossip is that we(general public) do want to know - hence the sale of non newspapers.

Told the tale before that when I was a policeman we could bob into the wholesalers and get a free sunday newspaper. The man in charge said that nearly every policeman came in and said "news of the world - wouldn't be seen dead reading that".

But the boss said "that was the pile which always went down".

Happy days

Geoff. Disappointed in your comment, or was it because observer started the thread?

It is wrong that these stars can't keep their trousers zipped up when they are the idols of millions of kids and should be setting an example, instead of betraying their family, spitting and swearing and behaving in a loutish manner.

Never mind that it is how it is today. IF they aren't happy playing "Happy Families" then get a divorce.

Whilst I agree about privacy being behind closed doors in the home, these football players and others who play around, should be named and shamed. Think of the upset in the lives of the footballers wives wondering if it is their husband being unfaithful.

As a Man.U supporter, Rooney has gone way down in my estimation. Terry should never have got back in the team, never mind being made captain. Rumour has it that another famous scouser got an injunction last year, and people worship the ground he walks on. :roll:

Phone hacking is a big no-no, that should be an interesting case. secret recording through a window into a private home is also wrong. Snorting coke and being photographed doing it in a public place (same with non illegal activities, such as snogging a mistress, etc) should be down to the disgression of the editor. You have a choice of becoming a celebrity, if you dont like it, dont do it. I would rather be a nobody on a resonable wage than a multi milionaire celebrity, simply because the mither would ruin my life :wink:

SO - a case for privacy: I'm frankly not interested in the extra-marital activities of a footballer, providing he performs on the pitch. IF the morality police didn't know about these so called scandals, they'd have nothing to get high and mighty about, nor would kids who, for some strange reason, see these celebs as role models, have anything bad to ape - cos they simply wouldn't know about it. And hopefully, the tabloids might go out of buisiness, cos they had nothing sordid to tell the rubber necks. :wink:

obs wrote

I'm frankly not interested in the extra-marital activities of a footballer, providing he performs on the pitch.

You may wish to rephrase that one. :oops::oops:

Personally I have no interest whatsoever in who is doing what to whom and where as long as it does not affect me personally or members of my immediate family.

If newspapers did not have this kind of sensationalism just think of how many trees would be saved. your average paper would consist of about ten pages. three of sport, three of telly, two of puzzles and the rest adverts for those things that we cannot live without like garlic peeler's and touch free hand washing systems.

A very long time ago Jackie O was chased by one paparazzi so much she go an injunction against him. I believe he had to stay some many hundred feet from her - so he paid others to get the close ups.

Unfortunately if the public didn't want to know so badly - there would be no reason for all the fallderawl.

Personally I could care less - but I know plenty that live and breath other peoples business. :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

Shouldn't have been naughty boys then should they. I think its hilarious that everyone who wants to know who the culprits are already know yet the Law still deems it wrong to mention their names. If you can type the words suing twitter into google its there. Paying for privacy is just another perk of privelege and good on the interweb for mocking this.

Certain poster(s) are very conspicuous by their absence on this issue :D:D:D

I'm not 'absent' I'm just not interested in celebs or their injunctions and I have no interest in knowing who they are or what they have or haven't been upto in their private life (or work life for that matter) :lol::wink:

I'm not 'absent' I'm just not interested in celebs or their injunctions and I have no interest in knowing who they are or what they have or haven't been upto in their private life (or work life for that matter) :lol::wink:

bet you've had a quick look though Dizzy :wink::lol:

nope and I've not read, listened to or watched anything about whatever/whoever it is you are all talking about either...

I may do later on though just so I don't feel left out and ignorant to the topic being discussed on here (purely forum research of course) :lol::wink: