Save Sankey Valley Park

boris1066

Sankey Valley Park is to be annexed by Gullivers World as part of a regeneration project. A Face Book Group has been initiated "Save Sankey Valley Park" where you can find all the details. It seems the anti-20 mph cause is lost. You might want to get behind this one ? Find it of FB and all the links are there.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sankey Valley Park is to be annexed by Gullivers World as part of a regeneration project. A Face Book Group has been initiated "Save Sankey Valley Park" where you can find all the details. It seems the anti-20 mph cause is lost. You might want to get behind this one ? Find it of FB and all the links are there.

1. is it?

&

2. Why do you assume that becasue someone happens to be against some development/occurence, they would also be against another? Not everyone is part of the rent a mob that will go to London in the name of any cause, just for the opportunity to throw paint bombs and attempt to fight with police.

Personally, I would imagine GW could only improve Sankey Valley park, and I also imagine it is only a small part we are talking about is it?

Boris1066... I found your facebook Group but couldn't see any info or anything about the 20 mph cause thing so no idea what you mean sorry :? I remember seeing the plans in 2009 have they changed or are they still the same ie caravan pitches, camping etc.

Can't say I've ever been round Sankey Valley Park though... what's there :oops:

I know some kids from round here used to go on their bmx's to the dirt jumps (or whatever they were) and some used to go fishing but there was often trouble so they stopped going.

Gulliver's World was good though but only caters for the much younger kids which is a shame.

Bewsey Old Hall is part of Sankey Park isn't it... oooh does that mean they might finally do something worthwhile with it :D

Seem to be a lot of people slagging off Gulivers World on facebook though even for how it is now though.... it's not that bad surely :roll:

Thanks for posting the info Boris, I'm sure very many people will be interested and will support the Save Sankey Valley Park campaign.

There is strength in numbers and though the town Hall bosses barely pay any attention to what the people of Warrington think, public opinion is taken into account by other 'bodies' who could help your campaign.

A great deal of our heritage has been lost because Councils/Developers have discounted public opinion in the knowledge that community groups would not be able to afford to challenge their planning decisions via a Judicial Review, however since the 'York Case' set a precedence regarding the granting of legal aid for community organisations it has become far easier to mount a challenge.

There are a number of aspects regarding the Sankey Valley Park project which you could challenge. You have a few cards to play and a strong hand, Good Luck.

I'm not really into facebook and rarely use it but I think there must a setting to make it public as the Save Walton Gardens group page was accessible to all for viewing without having to be a FB member (although to comment you obviously have to register).

Theirs also came up on search engines but yours doesn't seem to... unless I'm searching for the wrong thing :oops::lol:

Thanks for that Dizzy. The main movers for the FB group are Callands residents,I'm simply trying to spread the Gospel. There will be a website becoming active in the next 24 hours or so.

As for SVP itself, it is mainly lawns, trees and water with various wildlife. I've lived in Old Hall since 1982 and during the interim have seen the remorseless encroachment upon the park by developers. There was initial objections to GW being allowed to build there in the first place, petitions raised to prevent them chopping woodland, objections raised to their applications to build a hotel in the park. On the pretex of building this hotel GW have fenced off the park and it is no longer possible to cross the park from North to South.This latest "regeneration" project will further damage the park and it's neighbours.

This latest development does not include the Bewsey Old Hall which has been acquired by Urban Splash. It will be converted in to 9 apartments with 48 additional apartments built in woodland adjacent to the Old Hall.

That's the story in a nutshell, but you may find more info through Google.

Thanks for the interest.

Shame this topic hasn't aroused that much interest on these boards. You'd expect it to matter to a large proportion of the people living in north and west Warrington. And for those not directly affected it would at least be illuminating in the way the council does things. Stealthy development, arm's length as much as possible, fingerprints of the usual suspects all over it (check Warrington and Co.)

Sorry to rant on first post, just seems an opportunity missed in the discussion above...

Looking at your map and comparing it with the google maps (easier for me to make a comparison at relative sizes involved) it looks as if gullivers world is going to be getting twice the amount of land it now occupies half of which is the wooded area and the rest consisting of the area between the canal and sankey brook down to the bridge leading to bewsey lodge.

Note that a fair chunk of the canal and side pond is included which may be of concern to the local fishing fraternity (wingnut and his colleagues who are probably best left unmentioned). I know that the access down what is called Lilford avenue is very restricted once you get past the new housing estate built on the towers fields and wonder how people will get to the caravan/chalets, assuming that they are sited on the land between the canal and the brook.

The boundary runs along the old camp road so access to the maze at bewsey old hall will not be blocked unless you live on the other side of gullivers world in which case you will have a detour to get to it.

As a youngster I spent many hours in the wooded areas around what is now gullivers world and the area that they are going to be acquiring. It is a while since I wandered down that way with the dog but that is because he is getting on a bit now and is too heavy for me to carry back if he gets tired.

I do wish you luck with your campaign but fear that it is probably a done deal :cry: