• Stuff it I'm not taking part
    • I think that it's all too confusing
    • NO - I don't like the current system but it's better than AV
    • YES - It will give us a better & fairer system

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh but if I vote Labour at the election on Thursday (hell would be a cold place by then I guess!! :lol: ) and you chose to vote UKIP (as if); the chances are the Labour chap is going to win, but if he didn't get 50% your second preference vote may be labour so your vote counts twice in effect; once for UKIP and again for Labour.

Because I had already voted Labour, mine only counts once! :wink:

Because I had already voted Labour, mine only counts once!

You effectively voted for Labour twice - once in the first round of counting, and then again in the second round of counting because your candidate wasn't knocked out. :lol:

The poor sap who voted for UKIP as his first preference - well, he didn't really want Labour to win, he wanted UKIP to win and he hasn't had that happen!

The ABC (Australia) election blog is interesting reading for anyone who wants to hear about the AV system from a country where it's actually in use.[/i]

So if I had an account at home with the name "Dog" and I opened one from work with perhaps another name say "KevinP" and then opened another account on my mobile with yet another name like "Virus" all these would have different IP addys and I could vote 3 times.

How clever, :shock: Devious, but clever. Who would have thought. :twisted:

How clever, :shock: Devious, but clever. Who would have thought. :twisted:

I'll agree with devious but not clever. Sad, pityful, desperate and pathetic would be closer to the mark. To cap it all it seems that one of the doppelgangers noses is out of joint as he never got a mention in my original post. Like I said not clever just pathetic.

I bet if you sing in the shower to you it sounds like a barbers shop quartet.

it would be interesting to see the names and IP addresses of the voters in the above poll.....because we all know that AV will be thrown out, Clegge will be sacked and Millipede will be superceeded by his more popular brother...

The ABC (Australia) election blog is interesting reading for anyone who wants to hear about the AV system from a country where it's actually in use.[/i]

To be fair in Australia, voting is compulsory, and correct me if im wrong, but I do believe what happens is that lats say a voter votes for party X, and party X only, party X can then fill out the rest of the ballot paper in accordance with party X's preference.

it would be interesting to see the names and IP addresses of the voters in the above poll.....

It wouldn't be interesting at all Baz..... what is interesing is that there are only possibly 2 supporters of AV on here who have actually posted any comments in support one being Lt K and can't remember the other one the rest have been silent votors :wink:

I'm still waiting for my leaflets to come through the door and for the parties to convince me but alas on the last day before the voting I'm still waiting for them to feel that I am worthy of their time or leaflets :roll:

So what is this AV thing all about then....will it only be used to elect MP's .... will it be used to elect local councillors too.... or is it short for audiovisual and something to do with my mother-in-laws video recorder and tv like she probably still thinks :lol:

I will tell her to vote for HDMI as it's much clearer :wink:

Well it's voting day and I've woken up all confused and can't decide now... please will someone knock on my door :lol:

It's confusing a lot of people too though as many seem to think that AV will be used in ALL elections including local ones so they are basing their decision on that. It wont will it as it's only for MP elections ? Do people not listen :oops:

Some are saying locally it would be quite good and I see what they mean as I'm sometimes stuck between two people as I never vote for the party only the proactive people. So I could vote for both in order of preference leaving the ones I really don't want out all together.

All irrelevant though and why have these people got me pondering about local elections when it's nothing to do with that :shock:

I suppose if AV does get in then all those who have voted against it can continue to just vote for one person and all those in favour of it can vote for as many as like so in a way it is 'fair' as everyone has the 'choice' to vote in the way they wish.

Maybe I just wont vote as it will be a farce either way :roll::lol: (only kidding)... maybe I need to re-read all the discussions on here to get my brain back in gear.

To be fair in Australia, voting is compulsory, and correct me if im wrong, but I do believe what happens is that lats say a voter votes for party X, and party X only, party X can then fill out the rest of the ballot paper in accordance with party X's preference.

Voting in Australia is compulsory, yes.

If you only vote for party X in Australia, then party X can choose further preferences should they be voted out.

Furthermore, if you want to use second preferences then you have to specify a preference for every candidate on the ballot paper.

Still, an interesting read and dispels some of the myths that the No campaign have been spouting.

I don't think AV will have a huge difference on the results, but it will at least mean that politicians have to gain more consent from their constituency (the 50% threshold) than is currently the case; it will also give smaller parties and independents a greater chance of winning as people will be able to vote for their first preference without splitting the vote - and that's why I'm voting Yes today.

Wouldn't it give the smaller parties a slightly better chance though as if some people voting for the bigger parties as first choice put the independant/smaller party as second choice.

If the big party didn't get enough votes then the second choice votes would be added to the first choice votes for the independant :?

You can look at it both ways - swings and roundabouts.

It does amuse me that the No campaign have been arguing that FPTP is all about "one person, one vote" - in a multi-party situation that claim would surely be best represented with proportional representation, where 5% of the vote nationally would result in 5% of the seats!

Correct - IF you are electing a representative assembly - which would have to be done on a Party List basis. It could be applied to a re-formed House of Lords, with say 100 seats directly proportioned to the actual percentage vote of the total electorate. However, this is for the election of a Constituency MP, thus the election of a person rather than a Party - whichever way is tried, an individual represents a single Party - so minorities go unrepresented. :roll: