Bi-Polar?

observer

Bi- polar:

Genetic Factor

The cause of manic depression is biological in origin and genetic -- Manic depression tends to run in families. Genetic abnormalities appear in chromosomes. A combination of biological, genetic, and environmental factors ?appears to trigger and perpetuate the chemical imbalances in the brain that shape this complex disorder.?

Abnormal Brain Activity

The multi-faceted cause of manic depression has been revealed by imaging scans and other tests to the brain. These show:

Oversecretion of cortisol, a stress hormone

Excessive calcium influx into brain cells

Abnormal hyperactivity in parts of the brain associated with emotion and movement coordination

Low activity in parts of the brain associated with concentration, attention, inhibition, and judgment.

Neurotransmitters

Elevated level of vesicular monoamine transporter (VMAT2), a protein in the brain that regulates neurotransmitters, has been observed in the brainstems of bipolar disorder patients. ?Neurotransmitters called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) and norepinephrine have been implicated in mania.?

Infectious Agents Like Viruses

Researchers are observing the role infectious agents may play as a trigger or cause of manic depression. The Borna virus and herpes simplex 2 virus are viruses that are under investigation concerning possible causes of manic depression or bipolar disorder.

Sorry guys, but this is NOT a flippant subject. I know several people who have this, and it is not nice. In plain English, it is extreme mood swings that the person doesn't know they are having. A little more sympathy and "understanding" of the problem might help and a realisation, that people do have problems that we are unaware of. :roll:

Various reports say she's suffering from depression... or suffering from manic depression...or suffering from Bipolar II all brought on by nursing her cancer stricken husband.

Are all three the same and is BP II now just the posh name for depression as there must be a lot of people suffering from the same but they don't know it or hit the headlines in such a spectacular way or have the money to book into posh rehab centres :?

Hope she's feeling better soon though :D

For some reason people still seem to think that certain types of mental illness are fake - to get a check or sympathy. Believe me Bi-polar (manic-depression) is a pretty horrible disease. Thank God nowadays they have medicine that helps smooth out the highs and lows - used to be they were thrown in a loony bin and left there or even worse sent to jail. :cry:

Sorry guys, but this is NOT a flippant subject. I know several people who have this, and it is not nice. In plain English, it is extreme mood swings that the person doesn't know they are having. A little more sympathy and "understanding" of the problem might help and a realisation, that people do have problems that we are unaware of. :roll:
You realise it was Observer who started the thread? The guy who knows nothing about anything but who has an opinion on everything? I know it's ironic of me to say don't let him bother you, when he constantly gets on my tits, but nevertheless his pop psychology really isn't worth it.

To claim you can't be depressed because you have money is so laughable it's hard to know where to start, so I simply won't.

Syndromes appear to be trendy these days - especially with celebs trying to get press coverage - in the old days you were just told to "get over it". :roll:
You're right to roll your eyes at the former attitudes to mental issues Obs (though starnge about face from your OP :? ), luckily nowadays we're much better educated and understand you can't simple get over it, and that help is needed.

You suddenly changed your tune Peter :wink::lol:

NO, I didn't change my tune. I wasn't being flippant, just giving an update from the starting post, which made it sound as if it had just happened, to the 6pm news update for those interested or concerned.

The rolling eyes were about obs, NOT my comment.

Oooh Lighten up chaps... in a way Obs is right as how many times have we all read about celebs suffering from 'this, that or the other' and lets face it the papers always make it out to be far worse than it often is :?

And yes certain types of stress related 'depression' can be 'got over' without the need for medication and costly therapy intervention... although I obviously realise that is not always the case... but it can be.

Are you on holiday Lt :shock::shock:

Goodness me you should be relaxing, taking some time out, putting your life and feelings into perspective and taking control as apparently it's good for the nervous system and stops 'over sensitisation' which in turn relieved stress...anxiety..depression etc :wink:

Its great in Goa, I would recommend it to everyone, Very hot, very good beaches, cheap beer and cheap food, and I've discovered where Russians go on holiday.

so do you reckon you are helping the local economy or exploiting the locals who do not have our working conditions and minimum wages etc?

I personally would reckon the latter, otherwise you would holiday in the UK or Europe where wages and workers rights abound.