Black balled?

observer

He actually said that only one had gone, presumably because he was badly advised on the other 39 ethnic minorities (approx.) who did go.

Of course it's the Education System, plus a general apathy from many parents who don't see the value of instilling a work ethic and the value of learning into their children!

This topic has me totally confused.

The usual suspect is now telling us that the education system is letting today's kids down. Previously we heard how today's exams are too easy as too many get an "A". So which is it? Results too good, or schools too bad, or just whatever soundbite he can get in today's social whinge about?

As a parent of two teenagers, one in her final year at college and heading to Uni in the autumn, I can only say from my experiences with school in Warrington, that it, and the teachers, are light years ahead of what I experienced in my day. This applies especially with regards to planning for university, careers, and life after school, where much help and guidance is provided, plus parents kept involved, and expected to be an active part of the process, and not just someone that gets sent a report card at the end of the year.

All of this at complete odds with the general theme on here (and it has oft been repeated) that exams nowadays are too easy, and teachers are rubbish. I suspect this comes from those who have no actual experience whatsoever with what happpens in today's schools to be able to comment with any credibility whatsoever.

Probably it is a bit of both. At the end of the day, if the parents don't take an interest or can't be bovvered :wink: the child will not get the encouragement to do their best.

Could also be a geographical problem.

At the teachers meeting recently, weren't they complaining about the problems of children running amok at some schools?

The literacy thing is down to the teachers (Some?) not being able to spell. It doesn't help when some high flyer said last year that spelling didn't matter.

Take calculators off them, and teach them mental arithmetic.

I agree, plus until teachers are allowed to discipline children properly, the children will always have the upper hand.

I don't know that parental support was necessarily relevant in the past. If the child was inspired at school they saw education as a way out of their situation. Didn't many illiterate miners have lessons in secret to learn to read and better themselves because they had to leave school so young?

Not every kid can be a genius......(I was lucky :lol: )

But seriously; having kids who are unable to read properly or string a coherrent sentence together has been the case for decades. Some kids just don't want to learn and see it as a challenge to disrupt and come away from school with as little as possible.

Those are generally the kids which would turn up for a job interview in a pair of shorts and covered in tattoos and ear rings.

As my old friend Eric used to say of his son (who was never going to be top of the class....) "you can't teach bacon!"

Nothing confusing about it Fats: Even in a system of mickey mouse subjects, made as easy as poss through modular segments and teaching targeted at passing exams - your still going to get some doing better than others, thus qualifying for "the better" Universities. This dumbing down process under Labour, designed to increase numbers entering Uni, will not have affected traditional standards of "the best" elite public schools, hence their over-representation at Ox-bridge. :roll:

Lt Kije wrote:

Full of people with the right family connections or the right coloured school tie

WHY is that a problem? Doesn't the cream rise to the top?

Some kids Peter are pushed to the top by their parents wealth and connections at the expence of kids who have more ability but do not have the connections. How many of our high court judges did not go to public school :?: