Apologies?

observer

We seem to live in an era where "an apology" sorts everything, NATO blow up some rebels - issue an apology - then buisiness as usual etc etc. But how far back do we go for "an apology", and on what legal basis can compensation be morally claimed for an injustice? The current claim by ex-Kenyan terrorists for compensation under HR legislation is yet another example of this absurdity. How far back do we go - can those of us with Celtic ancestors demand compensation from the Italian Gov for crimes commited by Roman Legions? Can modern standards of HR law be used retrospectively to judge a period when slavery for example was an accepted norm? And should the descendants of British soldiers tortured and murdered by Mau Mau terrorists, also be entitled to lodge a claim for compensation? :?

That was one of my wind Kije up posts - and it worked a treat! :lol: Think you'll find that we've taken in everyone and his dog from our old Empire. They were given (or seized) their "independence" throughout the 50s, and for some strange reason were granted a British and Commonwealth passport, and then used their newfound "independence" to get on the first boat to Blighty! :wink:

I know the facts about the Mau Mau :roll:

Answer the question Obs, What percentage of African Immigrants are Kenyan. I don't think you have a clue. Its just one of you're sweeping statements :roll: You can not help yourself when it comes to immigration, you will take every opportunity to twist the knife :roll:

Not aware that I mentioned numbers - but in my book, any population that claims "independence" and "freedom", then piles into boats to seek the succour of their previous "oppressor", arn't worth a light - so one would be too many! You'll note that the new found freedom of Tunisians, has allowed them to flood into Europe via the Italian island of Lampedusa. Berlesconi claims it's an EU problem, meaning that we've all got to take a bite of the s**t sandwich - but what happened to requisitioning some cruise liners, putting them all on board, then taking them BACK from whence they came - simples! :roll:

:lol: What a wierd style of arguement - we have/had a sunami of immigration into this country over the past two decades, at around 250,000 per year, be it from the EU or non-EU, and your trying to dwell on Kenyan immigration, as if it makes any difference in itself rather than it's cumulative effect! :roll:

I wholeheartedly think we should not; under any circumstances, apologise for past "injustices" because we now have situations where some old people in Kenya have been tapped by the "no win, no fee" lawyers and are in line to make more money than a service man who has lost his legs in Afghanistan.

Will we get an apology from Pakistan for allowing the parents of the 7/7 bombings to move here and have kids here who went on to be terroists? will we buggery.....

What has happened is history. Get over it

In this case Baz, the people are still alive, And the crimes committed were done in our name by the goverment

so bloody what?

This compensation nonsense insenses me because the amount they screw out of the UK government when anything like this occurs is ridiculous in comparisson to what we pay our injured servicemen.

Do we see the German government handing out money to individual Jews who survived the holocaust? Or the Japs handing out money willy nilly to surviving POWs who endured the most horrific of tortures under the little yellow blighters? do we heck as like. What we get now is "send us money because we've had an earthquake"

They never even apologised properly for what they did in the war