Royal Wedding street parties and costs etc

Dizzy

Will you be having a celebration party ?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be having a celebration party ?

• Yes and it will be to celebrate the royal wedding
    • Yes but not to celebrate the wedding more of an excuse to have one
    • No as I want nothing at all to do with it all
    • I will be working
    • What wedding ?
    • Other - please state below

Sorry I know there was a topic about this on here a while ago but I couldn't find it so I started a new one :oops:

Are you having a street or other party ?

If you are is it really to celebrate the wedding or just an excuse to block your road for free or to get tiddly :lol:

Noticed in the paper the other day that security has really been scaled up now with guests having a 9 point security check... some at gun point... and strategic busses and other transport now being laid on to avert any possible trouble.

How much is this all costing now and without being rude wouldn't it be far easier if they just had a low key event and just popped off somewhere to get married before the set day... we could still have our token day off and parties if we so wished but it would save an awful lot of money :oops::wink:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will cost less that the aid we are giving to bloody Pakistan. It will cost less than the aid we give to bloody India. It will cost less than a few weeks bloody EU contributions. It will cost less than the bloody Olympics.........

This is something we should be proud of. It is a great state occasion because the bloke is (almost) next in line to be King of Britain.....the money generated through international interest will more than cover the costs so stop being so bloody negative and leave them to it

Nothing against this young couple, wish 'em all the best - but that's as far as it goes; don't want it wall to wall on TV - just not interested. Notice ITV are to pay ?8million in lost advertising revenue, to show this event, alongside BBC, who will be showing exactly the same thing - crazy. :roll:

Good luck to them Diana did a good job of bringing up two level-headed lads. As young Harry said, his brother would have been just as happy to have a low key do, but it was out of his hands.

Love them or hate them, the royals bring a lot of visitors to this country, and no-one can do the Pomp and Pageantry like the UK.

Plenty of positive comments - but no one voting that they are celebrating the occasion? :?

everyone gets a bank holiday Gary, so in a roundabout sort of way, everyone gets to celebrate in their own way!

I don't think the occasion warrants a big public show like the silver Jubilee, but I certainly think it should be on TV and should be funded by the state.

After all, look at the low key approach to the Golden Jubilee in 2002..... can anyone remember that?

so stop being so bloody negative and leave them to it

Wow you are grumpy Baz... I wasn't particularly negative about it I was just asking ... or is it because you had your invite to the wedding or your local street party yet :lol::lol::P

After all, look at the low key approach to the Golden Jubilee in 2002..... can anyone remember that?

I remember it well and we had the whole of the long service road blocked off and decorated in a royal theme from dawn 'till very very late and had a huge party with a couple of hundred people, games, loud music and a lot of fun. All arranged my me and a few of others. I think we were being patriotic but then again :wink:

Who would organise a street party when, according to todays paper, it costs over ?300 for insurance;hire of cones etc?

Nonsense.. you don't need insurance and most small roads are ok to close. As for street cones either we just used wheelie bins with home made signs on them :oops: Obviously if you live on a busy main road you can't do that though :shock: :wink

It's easy though and even the council have produced a rather good guidance leaflet for royal wedding street parties although you do have to search their website for it so I will save everyone the trouble ..

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/content_documents/Documents/Roads/Street_parties.pdf

I will not be celebrating the wedding will just treat is another day.

Get up walk the dog,have breakfast and then spend the next few hours trolling the web and wondering if I can get away with finding a TV channel that does not have coverage of the event.

I will wish them well and hope everything goes off with out a hitch (apart from the necessary one that is) but that is as far as I will go. 8)

Dont think I'd try organising a street party but I'd certainly be there if there was one down my road.

Bill :)

Lazy bugger.. just leave all the real 'work' to someone else eh then reap the rewards.. ever thought of becoming a Lib Dem :lol::P

Not interested, will be working (although ill have a day in lieu), simply because their are too many days off around that time, and ill only get bored :lol::lol:

the royals are simply human beings, albeit mostly living off the state, nothing to see here, etc.

OK - general support and good wishes for the couple, but no street parties. Let's try something a bit easier.

How many will be watching it on TV?

I am a supporter of the Royals - particularly the Queen - but I have got my own life to live so I will watch the news that day, as every other day, but apart from that it will just another day and I will be doing my own thing.