New standard pension?

observer

There was a bit on the news today which said that if you opted out of SERPS they would deduct a percentage off the ?150 to make it fairer on those that didn't. It never mentioned not giving any pension at all to the workshy though! :lol:

Is this proposed new standard pension of ?150pw payable to everyone regardless of how much NI they've paid? IF so, surely it's an incentive to be feckless? :?

Yes and No :?

Yes it will be payable to everyone including those who sat on their backside all their life, and No, to those already on a pension or those who receive a pension before 2015 regardless as to whether those people worked all their life and paid NI contributions. :roll::roll:

Well SL, it seems, even under the existing system, that folk who havn't had a proper NI paying job in their life, are getting the "basic" state pension - so the message is - don't be a squirrel, just spend it. :roll:

As it happens, I've just read that those who don't have the 30 years contributions will only have a percentage of the state pension depending on what they HAVE paid!! Also, you will have to have at least 7 years to qualify for anything! Sounds fair to me.

Depends Dizzy how old are you :?:

I will be 'pension age' by then obviously :P I don't mean now I mean when I get to the ripe old age :wink:

I worked and paid full NI/tax for 17 years.. then I had time off with my little cherub and apparently was covered by something called HRP (Home Responsibility Plan) for 11 years (or maybe 9 as I do work now but dont have to pay anything) HPR was something you got automatically if you received child benefit and HMRC had you NI number.. and everyone with a child under 16 receives child benefit before Obs calls me a scrounger.

The number of years you were covered with HRP apparently comes off the number of qualifying years needed to be eligable for full state pension :?

I do work now but now don't earn enough to have to pay tax or NI... but I just read that the way HRP is calculated changed on 5 April last year.

Oh dear does that mean I wont be entitled to my full state pension as I think I may be a few years down on the number of qualifying years...

Why an I worrying ...... as I if I now get a real job or a pay rise so that I pay tax/ni I only have to work for a couple years to have my full quota... I think :?:lol:

Infact if you do work but don't earn enough to pay NI is it still classed as a qualifying year ??? I wish I'd not read this topic now as I've got brain overload again.

I wait with anticipation for Obs to now have a go at me for being a lazy sod.... not my fault I work very hard for nothing though :wink:

As it happens, I've just read that those who don't have the 30 years contributions will only have a percentage of the state pension depending on what they HAVE paid!! Also, you will have to have at least 7 years to qualify for anything! Sounds fair to me.

What's fair about a system that differentiates between present day pensioners who may have worked and paid NI all their lives and 'new' pensioners who may or may not.

The first will get ?97 per week and the second will get ?140. :?:?:?

It is definately NOT fair Wolfie.

Many of today's older pensioners started work when they were as young as 14 and have worked their socks off their whole lives so I actually think they should get more than those who have had it a lot easier.

What's fair about a system that differentiates between present day pensioners who may have worked and paid NI all their lives and 'new' pensioners who may or may not.

The first will get ?97 per week and the second will get ?140. :?:?:?

I was only saying the new system with the amounts of contributions needed seemed fair. I wasn't saying it was fair that those on the present pension would continue as they are! It clearly isn't!! :shock:

It is definately NOT fair Wolfie.

Many of today's older pensioners started work when they were as young as 14 and have worked their socks off their whole lives so I actually think they should get more than those who have had it a lot easier.

Corrrrrrrect! Dizz, where's this new one class society that Bloody! Laurel & Hardy are supposed to be making, all they are doing is intentionally creating two classes of pensioner and attempting to divide them them into two seperate groups, its the old addage, 'divide and conquer' sneaky pair of brat's. :x

And I believe that new businesses don't have to pay employers contributions upto a certain level for their first 10 employees now. Or something like that.

It's all getting rather 'bitty' don't you think and where things are 'bitty' and 'non standard' like SL says 'mistakes WILL be made' ?