A.V. Referendum ?

observer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it clearly is 'broke' Peter or we wouldn't have the Lib Dims in joint 'power' with the Con men :wink:

The Lib-Dems are desperate for it, as they see that it is the only way they can get elected as a party.

As Baz says, it should be a legal requirement to vote. Perhaps the politicians should find out why people don't vote, "before" changing anything.

If only the Lib Dems want it then I will vote 'NO' :lol::wink:

You are right though, people should be made to vote. My other half had a couple of occasions where he refused to vote (he's a bit odd like that) but last year he had a change of view and DID actually vote.

This year he says he wont vote again as he's sick to death of the lot of them and says after voting last year they all stitched us up anyway especially with the coalition and lie after lie after lie at both local and national level :?

Guess he has a point :oops:

Labour wanted it to, until the Tory party started to mess with boundaries of constituencies.

UKIP want the AV plus system, but think AV is better than what we have now :!: The Green party are the same as UKIP

The BNP are against AV and AV plus :!:

The Tory party are against AV and AV plus

The only system that's truly proportional to the actual vote is the Party List system - designed to elect an assembly in direct proportion to the popular will. Not a practical option for a constituency based election, but ideal for an elected House of Lords. :wink:

UKIP want the AV plus system, but think AV is better than what we have now :!:

I've got AV1 and AV2 on my TV :D

my freeview box is plugged into AV1, i just get a black screen with AV2 :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: Same here but AV1 has an 'x' box on it...is that something to do with voting :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: Same here but AV1 has an 'x' box on it...is that something to do with voting :wink:

you'll have to wait and ps3

can someone answer this?

Who would win in this scenario under AV

General election, 4 candidates stand; Labour, Tory, liberals and BNP

Tories: 30% of 1st preference votes

Labour: 31% of 1st preference votes

Liberals: 28% of 1st preference votes

BNP: 11% of 1st preference votes

Tories: 11% of 2nd preference votes

Labour: 11% of 2nd preference votes

Liberals: 11% of 2nd preference votes

BNP: 60% of 2nd preference votes

7% of people do not state a second preference.

Anyone know?

As I understand it - after the first round the BNP candidate would drop out and his/her second preference votes (all 11% - assuming they made a second preference!) would be redistributed to the remaining candidates. The only beneficeries of this system will be third Parties - where most Lab and LibDem second preferences will be for each other, the fringe Parties won't carry enough votes to make a difference in most cases. Why do you think Red Ed is supporting it - :shock:

Can you ask it again Baz but with actual number of votes rather than %'s as I don't know how many people actually voted so I am struggling to work it out meaningfully :lol:

Like Obs says though the person with the lowest number of votes in round 1 gets knocked out so BNP would be out of the running immediately despite having a good second choice rating as their votes would then become disgarded and irrelevant.

Once they are knocked out then the second vote on their disregarded slips comes into play and are shared out amongst whoever was still left in the running providing of course the BNP supporters bothered to put their 2nd/3rd/4th choices etc... which would be doubtful :wink:

Then the whole process starts again and the lowest is kncoked out and so on and so forth... well acdording to 'Victor the Vote Counter' anyway :D

But why are you asking as I'm sure a man of your brains and intellect already knows this :lol:

Well I think I might be voting yes. I've never been a one party person and have voted for all the major parties at one time or another.

The way I see it is that no one party has policies that I'm 100% in agreement with, they all have something that's just not right.

So for me, the ability to vote this way makes perfect sense but I fully understand why others might have a completely different take on the issue.

Bill :)

Good point Bill and I had never though about it that way.

Like you I don't support any particular party and never have. Each have ideas that I like but mostly ones that I don't... and I have voted for all the major paries and a few outsiders in my time and never been happy with who we got in the long term even when it was one I voted for.

Maybe it would be easier if we just all picked a slip out of a massive hat full of names and that was who we HAD to vote for as it's a bit of a lottery eather way :lol: