A.V. Referendum ?

observer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know cos I can't remember what it's all about now and I'm all confused myself after having tried to explain it to someone who wondered what their polling card was for :oops::lol:

Is there a straight forward explanation leaflet I can print off for them :lol:

Is that all we are voting for in South Warrington as my card doesn't mention local elections.

Diz, simples - if the candidate with the highest number of votes doesn't get above 50% of the vote. The candidate with the least votes drops out, and their second preference votes shared out - until someone accumulates more than 50%. Generally, this will mean that "third party" candidates will be the benificeries - in a marginal tussle between Tory V Labour, second preferences from both sides will generally be transfered to the LibDems, thus making this system the saviour of their Party. IF first past the post remains in place at the next election, they'll be lucky to get a handfull of MPs, after their current performance. As for minor parties, they won't benefit one iota, but merely have their votes stolen to bolster the main parties - thus reinforcing "the centre" and ensuring a future of "coalitions", where promises in manifestos become useless and policy results from post-election deals. :shock:

Eh :oops::oops: Is that what we are voting for or is that what we have now.

I wish I hadn't asked now and no wonder everyone is getting all confused. Maybe I just drank too much over the weekend and the fog will clear soon :lol:

If everyone just carries on ticking just one box even if we get AV it will still mean first past the post wins...... I still don't agree with the fact that someone who polls less primary votes than the next guy can actually win!

The winner is the bloke with the most votes in his name surely.....just like it has always been!

There are only three other countries in the world that use AV: Australia (and there is a huge movement over there to get rid of it) Fiji and Papua New Guinea (those other two great bastions of democracy!!)

says it all really; NO

I am definately living upto my name Obs you are right there :oops: Like I said though... possible alcohol poisoning :wink:

So..... I agree with Baz and the way I see it is that the person who gets the most public votes wins ... so which box do I tick again is that a 'Yes' or a 'No' or has that got nothing to do with it :?:lol:

And why should I vote for a second or third person if I only like one of them

You really need to help me here as my mother-in-law and others will no doubt be asking again soon :oops:

It has been said that this system can be a charter to let the likes of the BNP, UKIP etc in through the back door and I can see why....

I would never ever ever vote Labour........ and faced with the option of ticking my least favourite person such as a labour or liberal candidate I wouldn't bother.

Some however would tick BNP, UKIP or Green (heaven forbid..... the only people on the planet with more regressive ideas than Rod King!) so in a seat where the labour chap (or chapess) gets the majority vote, but no where near the required 50% (although that isn't really needed either if people don't register a second vote apparently) anyone voting tory or lib dem but ticking BNP or UKIP as their second favourite can make a difference and oust the labour one in place of more peoples second favourite! (if labour get 44% of the vote and Tory 40% and LibDem% 20%, if all of the tory and libdem voters tick BNP as second favourite, BNP has 60% support and can win the seat!)...scary eh??

Sorry Baz, your analysis is faulty - BNP,UKIP & Greens etc are minority parties lucky to get their deposits back. Generally, (as with current tactical voting), folk vote to ensure they keep either the Tories or Labour out - by voting LibDem (having the best chance of securing sufficient votes). The vote transfer will generally work the other way round, folk who prefer a "minority" Party, are likely to give their second preference to the Tories or Labour - thus pulling all results towards the centre and thus the established political class (who all support membership of the EU btw). :shock:

Just as I thought I had 'got it' :lol:

'Victor the Vote Counter' says that you don't actually have to put a 2nd, 3rd, 4th vote though.... you can just put one vote.

But would that mean if all Mt X's voters only put one vote and he was in the lead but hadn't quite got over the 50% mark he could then lose to another :?

Which political parties (if any) actually WANT this new way of voting.. that may help me out a bit in my decision :wink:

Av is a fairer system, The Tories are running from it as they would never get in power again, As most Lib Dems would put Labour as their second option and visa versa, People would end up with atleast their second option as an Mp, which does not happen now, and it would make everyones votes relevant, not just the people who are in swing areas, I think they should have gone further and required people to vote like they do in Australia :!: