Choice?

observer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides using fresh for new I don't, and the use of new was deliberate because storing apples in nitrogen keeps them fresh.

Your phrase "I thought the people I was talking to were educated and new apples were stored in a nitrogen atmosphere" surely should have read "I thought the people I was talking to were educated and knew apples were stored in a nitrogen atmosphere.......

Well if you still don't get it Kije.....here it is: You were pointing out that you thought members on here were supposed to educated (hence the highlighted bit)

You then went on to use the word new instead of Knew in the phrase "I thought the people I was talking to were educated and new apples were stored in a nitrogen atmosphere......." of course it should have perhaps read:

"I thought the people I was talking to were educated and knew {that} apples were stored in a nitrogen atmosphere.......

I just thought it was funny that you were questioning the education of some people and yet made a grammatical error of your own in the same sentence!!

So LtKije, you have gone from saying how wonderful apples were at Bents because they had never so much as sniffed nitrogen, to saying how wonderful apples are because they have been stored in a nitrogen rich atmosphere. You can't have it both ways. And you say I'm uneducated!! Off to the Isle of Man now, I'll be back with some more wisdom in a week or so :wink::wink:

So LtKije, you have gone from saying how wonderful apples were at Bents because they had never so much as sniffed nitrogen, to saying how wonderful apples are because they have been stored in a nitrogen rich atmosphere. You can't have it both ways. And you say I'm uneducated!! Off to the Isle of Man now, I'll be back with some more wisdom in a week or so :wink::wink:

Quicker by train if it takes you that long Asp. :wink:

So LtKije, you have gone from saying how wonderful apples were at Bents because they had never so much as sniffed nitrogen, to saying how wonderful apples are because they have been stored in a nitrogen rich atmosphere. You can't have it both ways. And you say I'm uneducated!! Off to the Isle of Man now, I'll be back with some more wisdom in a week or so

No I have not

I used to buy apples from Bents garden centre, not sure if the fruit shop is still their, They were all British varieties very nice, not one of them had been near nitrogen. They did not look as nice and shiny as the supermarket ones but taste is everything :!:

Do you deny posting this? :wink::wink:

As self appointed president of the Pedants Society it's my duty. However you still haven't admitted that you claimed that Bent's apples had never been exposed to nitrogen which is errant nonsense. So yes I am going to continue to be pedantic. And by the way it is only your opinion that supermarket apples preserved by the exclusion of oxygen don't taste as good as apples straight off a tree, and you should say so. :wink::wink:

Leaving the Isle of Man now and off to France. :lol::lol: