Why the change?

Lucy

The erosion of discipline and falling standards encouraged by the people in charge, PLUS the trash that is called entertainment.

Think positive Lucy, (welcome back), if you hadn't been born when you were, you would never have known how high standards used to be. :wink:

In addition to the 'sod you jack I'm alright couldn't give a toss' society that now exists.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY "Grumpy" one is you Fatshaft.

Get a life. You are pontificating about years gone by that you know nothing about.

I'm "pontificating" on something I know plenty about, and am speculating on the fifties based on the evidence at hand, ie. that things had gotten so noticeably bad that laws were enacted.

The OP on the other hand has made a sweeping generalisation based on seeing someone dropping litter, something never before witnessed in history :roll:

I see that you have finally got round to admitting that Warrington is a mess.

Quote:"Of course it could just be that we Scots are much cleaner and tidier than the Warringtonians, the evidence is right there in front of me, so it must be true, right? "

Like I said, I was being facetious. I can't say I thought Warrington was a mess, though in fairness that could be familiarity, certainly visitors from Scotland always thought it was grubby, whereas I always liked it and felt it was a nice town.

Why keep on about the young? It is your generation as adults who tend to go around leaving their litter.

Fair enough, so things must be getting better then if the younger generation are not followng the bad example set by my peers. So you're basically agreeing that my memories are correct then, and things were worse when I was growing up?

And IF you have bought into this global warming stunt, then you have got problems.:wink:

I've made it pretty clear in the past I think it's all nothing more than a revenue raising scam peddled to the easily led, who ironically tend to fight against anything smacking of big government.

I think those who describe Fatshaft as being "grumpy" are wrong. His problem is that he has a chip on his shoulder (witness his comments about members of Lymm Golf Club). So big a chip, in fact, that I'm surprised he can play golf at all!

He says this debate started when I commented on seeing someone drop litter. His memory can't even stretch back to the start of the debate. I started by saying I had (accidentally) dropped litter myself and then went on about how someone else picked it up for me!

He also keeps harping on about the Fifties, as if if that was when time began. I never mentioned the Fifties - in fact I am quite prepared to agree there was a litter problem in the Fifites.

Someone else has commented that the Litter Act of 1959 actually reduced the powers of the police to deal with litter louts and I note the former police officer did not disagree with this.

The litter problem, and the wider problem of diminishing standards of behaviour by ALL sections of the community, started after the war.

In actual fact, with improved education, more opportunities for all people of all sections of the community (except, probably, for the aristocracy, who barely exist any more), we should have LESS litter today, despite the proliferation of takeaway shops, etc.

Decent educated people should know better than to drop litter and there should be no need for the council to employ people to pick up litter. But it would seem better educated people are not necessarily any less lazy than those of previous generations who never had a chance in life.

This self same former officer believes he is the one who said it actually reduced powers("and leaves")so I wouldn't disagree with that.

Should someone else have said it, probably means this "rubbish" thrad is too long.

This mornings paper suggests mrs Thatcher was responsible for the bank crisis so it could just be that we can place the blame for our litter problems on her. Sure that is a good way out and at least 50% of us will be happy.

Happy days

Thankyou Sha for pointing out my typo which I am sure you will agree was quite a minor one compared with many we see on here!

What I can't understand is why someone who is simply expecting high standards from the population at large should be regarded by others as someone who thinks they are "superior."

I think those who describe Fatshaft as being "grumpy" are wrong. His problem is that he has a chip on his shoulder (witness his comments about members of Lymm Golf Club). So big a chip, in fact, that I'm surprised he can play golf at all!

Only one chip? :wink:

He says this debate started when I commented on seeing someone drop litter. His memory can't even stretch back to the start of the debate. I started by saying I had (accidentally) dropped litter myself and then went on about how someone else picked it up for me!.

I apologise Lucy, you're right of course, I give you too much credit, I thought you had actually witnessed someone dropping said litter, when in fact it was indeed just a complaint based wholly on your own prejudices.

For the record, I described this thread and it's theory as typical grumpy old git syndrome, your memory is going too it seems.

What exactly is this chip I have? One where I don't agree with your condescending attitude?

Fatshaft - you have really lost it!

Yes, you have referred to the "grumpy old syndrome". But then Peter T said YOU were the grumpy one. That is what I was referring to. There is nothing wrong with MY memory!

As to the chip on your shoulder, you display it every time you infer that others think they are "superior" or "condescending" - such as when you suddenly introduce the members of Lymm Golf Club into the debate for no other reason than I come from Lymm.

All I can say is that the few people I know who are members of Lymm Golf Club are perfectly friendly, down to earth ordinary people and if you friends found them otherwise they must belong to some kind of underclass. Perhaps they were not made welcome because they dropped litter on the golf course?

As to my "prejudices" I think I am entitled to be prejudiced against litter bugs. YOU are entitled to be prejudiced against litter bugs. But you choose, by implication, to support them by suggesting that those who criticise them are "grumpy", "superior" and "condescending."

Incidentally, in case you think I am one of the "ladies who lunch" I am a member of a tennis club, having not yet reached the age where I require the ball to remain stationary while I hit it. And, yes, I have observed standards falling at the tennis club too!

If that gives me prejudices then I am proud to have them.

The UN has imposed a no-fly zone on Lybia. In my opinion, unless Fatshaft and Lucy declare a ceasefire, the Moderators should impose a no-talk zone on both of them and if they do not resolve their differences peacefuly, they(the Moderators) should destroy their internet installations.

Thankyou Sha for pointing out my typo which I am sure you will agree was quite a minor one compared with many we see on here!........

Lucy, to me spelling errors are of absolutely no consequence whatever, it is what is 'said' that is of interest.

I picked up on your spelling error to highlight the fact that despite your superior attitude you are in fact in no ways superior to anyone else.

You obviously didn't understand the point of my post and in your reply again compare yourself to others.....you being superior to

many others of course!

........What I can't understand is why someone who is simply expecting high standards from the population at large should be regarded by others as someone who thinks they are "superior."

Lucy, what I can't understand is why you can't understand just how impolite your posts actually are. They are not only extremely pompous and condescending they have been quite insulting. If you were to insult me in such a way I don't think I would have been quite as restrained in my responses to you as Fatshaft has!

Please don't make it any worse Sha :shock::wink:

Gary will be reminding you all of the forum rules soon......Oooh no need as I've just done it .

Personally speaking I haven't read anything that suggests that Lucy is particularly pompous or condescending or whatever else it was or that Fatshaft is particularly 'lower' in standards or whatever else that was and from where I'm sitting it is (or was) just a couple of people giving as much as they got and disagreeing over something, neither of who seem to want to agree to disagree.

So can the more personal mud slinging stop now before some people are put on litter picking duty :D:wink:

As to the chip on your shoulder, you display it every time you infer that others think they are "superior" or "condescending" - such as when you suddenly introduce the members of Lymm Golf Club into the debate for no other reason than I come from Lymm.

All I can say is that the few people I know who are members of Lymm Golf Club are perfectly friendly, down to earth ordinary people and if you friends found them otherwise they must belong to some kind of underclass. Perhaps they were not made welcome because they dropped litter on the golf course?.

Well at least we're getting somewhere now, thanks for admitting that Lymm is a snooty golf club where the members will not accept others whom they deem beneath them.

Fatshaft,

Your comments on Lymm golf club are way off the mark - ignored until now.'

I am a playing member there for over 40 years. If you can find me a middle of the road golf club which is as friendly as Lymm,you will have to go a long way.

There was certain pomposity when I started from some members, but that has disappeared over time, as have "other standards".

Roll up on the first tee and you will get a game with someone quite easily. Have a drink in the bar afterwards among people who are just ordinary Joes - or Jills (the ladies appear to be a friendly bunch as well).

Best wishes Happy days

All I can say is that the few people I know who are members of Lymm Golf Club are perfectly friendly, down to earth ordinary people and if you friends found them otherwise they must belong to some kind of underclass. Perhaps they were not made welcome because they dropped litter on the golf course?.

Well at least we're getting somewhere now, thanks for admitting that Lymm is a snooty golf club where the members will not accept others whom they deem beneath them.

I thought that was how all the best golf clubs were run.

No pedigree, no membership.

Fatshaft,

Your comments on Lymm golf club are way off the mark - ignored until now.'

I am a playing member there for over 40 years. If you can find me a middle of the road golf club which is as friendly as Lymm,you will have to go a long way.

There was certain pomposity when I started from some members, but that has disappeared over time, as have "other standards".

Roll up on the first tee and you will get a game with someone quite easily. Have a drink in the bar afterwards among people who are just ordinary Joes - or Jills (the ladies appear to be a friendly bunch as well).

Best wishes Happy days

I think that's pretty true of most clubs Harry, once you've been there a while, they let you into the clique.

Never having played there I can't comment first hand, but the issue may have been worse for these guys as they've gone from the most welcoming golf club I've ever come across, in Poulton Park, to one that still has that air of snobbishness. So they maybe felt it worse than would be the norm.

Does this forum have an annual award for the member who consistently twists and distorts others' comments? If so, may I nominated Fatshaft for the title.

I have not "admitted" anything about Lymm Golf Club. I am not in a position to do so, never having been there and having no connection with nor interest in, golf.

Neither apparently, is Fatshaft, because it now emerges that he has never played there. But it hasn't prevented him from branding it as a "snooty" club.

Actually, I have never in my life come across anyone I regard as snooty,either at a golf club or elsewhere.

Why other people should be so obsessed with what they regard as "snooty" or "snobbish" I don't know. Unless they are people who suffer from a serious lack of self-esteem.

As for Sha, he or she has completely misread my earlier posts. I have never suggested that I am "superior" to anyone. What I have said is that others seem to regard me as "superior" ... simply because I object to litter being dropped in the streets.

I certainly don't class you as being 'superior' Lucy if that helps :lol:

As for awards, there are non that I am aware of but maybe I will see if Gary will create a few... could be fun.

Not sure who would win the one for 'not backing down or agreeing to disagree and letting things drop' though. Could be a very close call :lol::wink: