How Sad is this?

Bill

Just slightly back onto track, here?s the latest.

Right the telly?s back in the room for the four lady smokers and if Mr Jobsworth would like to remove it then I guess he?s going to have to go down and remove it himself. I haven?t been able to find out Mr Jobsworth?s name (yet!) but was told he does indeed work for WBC although has no direct involvement with the running of Westy Hall.

As for replacing the seating, well I?ll willingly pay for the harder seats that Mr. Jobsworth wants for the old folk provided he meets me on camera in the smoking room in front of staff and residents and sits on a seat that I?ve arranged especially for him. :(

No, this seems all wrong; Or is it just me?? :roll:

Bill

[ 07.10.2007, 22:46: Message edited by: Bill ]

Mary

I don't know, I was bought up in a Christian family where helping others wasn't conditional on a set of council rules. Every sinew of my body tells me this is all wrong and I just can't get my head round the fact that those in charge of the running of our lives see it so differently.

Bill

Mary

Westy Hall isn?t just an old folk?s home, it?s for people suffering age related issues and as such, most are not really that mobile relying on wheelchairs and Zima frames to get about so they can?t just nip out for a smoke. In any case, most are that frail that even on a really nice day hardly anyone ever goes outside because it?s a major effort for them and they feel the cold.

Surprised the council have not thought of this and demanded the heat be turned off in the room as well! :)

[ 08.10.2007, 09:42: Message edited by: Bill ]

I think you'll find that the vast majority of these kind of places are privately owned but the council has a lot of say in how their opperated.

Have little dig on this one. I'm off out on a job for a couple of days now so see you when I'm back.

Bill :)

[ 08.10.2007, 12:17: Message edited by: Bill ]

Observer

Yes but they don't and their not encouraged to do so either because it would mean the staff can't then keep an eye on them and also it would be a greater fire risk.

I've checked through loads of rules regulations and recommendations on this subject but can't find anything about replacing seating with harder seats.

Now here?s a coincidence. Just a week after starting this thread on both the local sites, the Midweek Guardian runs a story from the Northwest Health and Safety Executive with the headline ?More common sense is needed?

The executive head, David Ashton said he?s concerned that they?re getting a bad name due mainly to local authorities going completely over the top with their interpretations of the law. Branding some decisions as obsessive and not right, he called for less paranoia and more common sense.

In his report, Mr Ashton used the example where knitting needles were banned from care homes and hospitals in case they were used to attack staff with. Well they needn?t have bothered, the old ladies aren?t likely to want to sit knitting if the council replace their seats with hard ones!

Rant over!

• 2 weeks later...

soft chairs for certain...but as my nanna died in there several years ago at the time it was dangerously low in staff,not anywhere near the correct amount of staff to look safetly after so many residents..so they kept them all in one room basically and having to look after people smoking who perhaps dont have good eyesight[and it is a strong possibility at their ages before anyone jumps the gun]it puts other peoples lives at risk....different if a relative is with them,and if its their pleasure in life but i think you arent covering all the possibilities here....from what i can remember of it i thought it was a bad desighed home..im sure things have maybe improved with following buildings....

and sits on a seat that I?ve arranged especially for him.
Hmm, maybe when Mr Jobsworth, or his department, or his company, is identified, maybe it should be suggested that he/they donate [i}their[/i] office chairs (as no doubt they will be of the correct posterio-permeability) to the home, and take the "unsuitable" ones in return? Or would the hundreds of rent-payers pounds spent on these no doubt VERY comfy chairs prohibit such an idea?

Robot

-------------------------

?and sits on a seat that I?ve arranged especially for him. ?

-------------------------

Reminds me of the hilarious line from the film Erin Brockovitch ?

---------------------------

?That water was brought in especially for you. It?s from the well at Hinkley.?

---------------------------

Rocky

Sorry to hear that your experiences of Westy Hall were not that good. My mother in law has been there for just over a year now and we have absolutely no complaints. As regards the residents being allowed to smoke and possibly set fire to themselves well, oddly that?s not the issue the council seem concerned about. Seems some of the council view cigarette smoke in the same light as atomic fallout and are prepared to go to extreme lengths to protect their staff from it.

While doing a bit of reading on how other councils are dealing with the passive smoke, one council actually suggested providing oxygen masks at the entrance to the room and the only reason that it wasn?t adopted was that it was thought that it may hinder communications. This, along with ideas like providing less confortable chairs is the sort of gross misinterpretation of health and safety rules that I?m objecting to.

While speaking of care homes and council lunacy, here?s another example of to ponder on.

If my wife and myself were to move out of the Warrington area, to say Devon, then it makes absolute sense that the relative in care is also transferred to be close to their family. This does happen but what doesn?t make sense is that the responsibility isn?t transferred, resulting in the council having to send social workers the length and breadth of the country just to tick the boxes on their forms. What a total waste of time, effort and of course the taxpayers money.

[ 22.10.2007, 13:24: Message edited by: Bill ]