"G"rabbing "P"rofit?

Seems the lengthy Bill introducing the Gov's planned changes to the NHS, have a hefty loophole already! Seems there can be a "conflict of interest", where G.Ps have shares in a private service provider and the power/cash to refer their patients to the said provider. Already US style "health" providers are gearing up to soak up tax payers money by signing up GPs as share holders, with a consequent interest in refering patients for (their) profit rather than the clinical interests of the patient. So an example of Tory ideology at work or just an incompetant oversight? :?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was referred to Spire for a Hernia op. BEFORE the Tories got elected.

It is common practise brought in under Labour to give freedom of choice. It is used to by-pass waiting lists in certain cases, I believe.

Where do you get this "share" info from?

:roll: BBC TV NEWS - the piece showed interviews with GPs who had "shares" in new health companies, and there is nothing in the budding legislation to stop a GP, his friends or family from having a fiscal interest in a private provider, thus a motivation for sending patients to that clinic. :roll:

Your world, where everybody is only looking out for number one. Thats what I don't understand. In the real world where I live GPs do their job to help their patients, not to see how much money they can screw out of them. OK I'll grant you there are a few bad apples out there, but that again is the real world. And I still think your rant is incoherent :wink::wink::wink:

Obs, in the real world bankers are in the business of making a profit, not in the business of deliberately bankrupting their customers because that would be self defeating. You really need to look at the world as it is rather than how you imagine it to be. I wish I'd seen your stage act, it must have been a riot :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nope, you make your mind up - either you believe the Gov's NHS reforms place GPs in a conflict situation or you don't. The BBC report evidently did, as GPs will control budgets and commission care, and if they or their family and friends have a stake in the health providers, there's an incentive to bolster that interest by pushing NHS patients and money towards these private health providers. Labour provided GPs with more money for less hours, so they've plenty of spare cash to invest in shares! As for "trust", most folk probably trusted MPs prior to the expenses scandal. :roll:

As for "trust", most folk probably trusted MPs prior to the expenses scandal. :roll:

YOU should be on the stage. :roll:

What is wrong with them investing? It is up to the governing bodies to make sure that they are not sending their patients to these places un-necessarily.

That's the whole point Pierre - under this new legislation, sending patients to providers that the GP has an interest in wouldn't be illegal - get it now - doh! :roll:

I got it from the beginning. :roll:

As I pointed out, it isn't just happening since this lot got in.

You are making a comment, not giving an opinion.

What do you want them to do? Not invest their money? Not give their patients the best option?

DOH!!!!!! :roll::roll::roll:

Perhaps you could take over from Gaddafi, you'd make a good Dictator.

Obviously, you either don't get it or are prepared to sanction clear conflicts of interest where NHS funds (our money) could be (quite legally) directed towards increasing their share profits. As for your reference to Gadafi: corruption is one of the reasons for the rebellion, something unlikely ever to occur here based on your servile attitude. :roll: