Britons in Libya

Egbert

Am I the only one who things the Britons in Libya are a whinging bunch.

They go over to work there - usually for inflated salaries, tax perks, etc. They know what sort of a country it is. And when the inevitable eventually happens, they complain that our Government isn't doing enough to get them home!

If they are there working for the Government, fair enough. But if not, why should the Government do ANYTHING to them home. They should be flown home by the firms they work for, or get themselves home.

I was once offered a job out there but the wife didn?t like the idea of having to do the shopping with an armed guard so I ended up declining.

There?s always going to be jobs out there in both the private sector and govenment that for whatever reason need to be done by someone from this country and the higher salaries have to be offered otherwise nobody in their right mind would do it.

Given this, is there any justification as to why they should be treated differently?

Bill :)

part of the problem is that when something like this happens and Gadaffis supporters are shooting people with anti-aircraft guns, I don't think they would think twice about killing a few British oilworkers. The oil comp[anies do not have the resources to battle with people with the kind of fire power the Gadaffi supporters are using and so it rightly falls in the lap of the government to bail them out

Now I do think the oil companies should pay for the rescue, but it is right that the military get them out from the middle of nowhere (which is where a lot of those left are stuck) you can'r just jump in a truck and head for the airport with a thousand chanting killers on the loose with RPGs and anti aircraft guns!

If you look at a map, they are no where near any of the problems. Surely it is the media (yet again) stirring things up to get a story and the families who think the world should stop whilst their kin folk are extricated.

Working in ANY of these countries is asking for trouble as they are so unstable.

The employees should be looking at ways in which to get them out.

It would be a really smart move for the British Army to go in and get them out. :roll: Wouldn't that be an "Invasion"? :shock:

Apparently most of the remaining oil workers are in remote desert facilities which can only be reached by air.

With Gaddafi's airforce defecting just as fast as they can get out of the country the oil workers are probably safer where they are than almost anywhere on the planet! If it was me I'd stay put right there!

British Intelligence obviously didn't see this coming. Do you think that private companies (eg BP) should employ their own versions of MI5? While they pay for the official government version through their taxes. (oops, sorry I forgot BP and the rest don't pay tax do they :roll::roll::roll::roll: )

Was Mary speaking in jest...or tongue in cheek?

Whatever, I agree with her comments.

The warmongers have been gagging to get into Libya for ages.

Not informing the Brits working out there until the last minute, when they could then go in and effect a 'heroic rescue of Britains under threat' seems like the type of publicity stunt they have used before to try to get the public's sympathy and backing before they kick off another war.

If Joe Public were told they were to be left open to even more terrorist threats/attacks and asked to fund an expensive fighting force because "We want to go powerseeking and robbing for our own personal gain" it might be Joe Public kicking off revolution in their own countries! :evil:

Doubt that the intelligence services sponsored these events, as they have prefered compliant Dictatorships todate, rather than the possibility of a radical muslim alternative. Remember Bliar hugging Gadafi over the BP oil deal?! Now that they see his demise, they'll be preparing the new contracts with the new regime - so buisiness as usual and joe public can continue to fill their petrol tanks. :roll:

Yes Obs, they prefer compliant dictatorships, but once the dictatorships are no longer compliant they prefer to remove them!

They were more than willing to turn a blind eye to the inhumanitarian regime of Saddam Hussain until that is he decided to change the currency of the oil cartels from the dollar to the Euro. (A move incidentally, that would mean more expensive oil for the US but cheaper for the European markets...probably why the other European countries were reluctant to get involved in the invasion, what we should be questioning is why did Blair go for it?)

They were more than willing to turn a blind eye to the inhumanitarian regime of the Taliban so long as they were the main beneficiaries to the 80% of the world's opium which is produced in Afghanistan.

Gaddaffi was always going to be next on the list, it just wouldn't do to have him remain in power and able to 'dictate' to them, to whom and for how much he was selling Libya's oil.

After having spent so much time, effort and money in promoting global warming hysteria as an excuse to get the world to accept nuclear power as the main future energy resource, They are not going to want Gaddaffi buggering up their business plans by supplying an alternative energy resource (oil).

Any new regimes will be 'compliant'.....or they won't even get off the ground!