Local Elections -

observer

Well funnily enough I've been out door to door canvassing...in between personally signing my pledge letters :wink: , the vast majority of people are very polite even if they are not going to vote for me. I can only assume some canvassers have a very aggressive style and lack interpersonal skills. On a number of occasions people have said how nice it is to have someone call, as nobody has before....alas many don't even know who their current Councillor is.

Indeed Observer is right, canvas data is recorded so that get the vote out efforts can be directed to best effect...it is called professional campaigning and I would never apologise for that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... which makes the whole exercise a farce, as the lack of interaction with the public leaves the Parties in the realms of Ivory Tower politics; and their liberal dogmas and predispositions won't allow them to take on board public priorities in any event. :roll::shock:

I think they should too.....

How often do you hear people whinging on about things and then they say they didn't bother voting !!

Stupid if you ask me.

There should of course be an extra box on the voting cards saying...

'None of the above...' just incase people are really struggling. At least their vote would be counted even if it was only to show that they do not rate any of the parties involved. Would also make the statistcs more interesting and meaningfull :lol:

Perhaps the ballot paper should include EVERY registered Political Party, and voting be compulsory? :roll: IF a Party with no candidate hapened to win, it would mean a re-run election and the winning Party would no doubt field a candidate the second time! :roll: Thus ample scope for choice and protest. :):wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Well funnily enough I've been out door to door canvassing...in between personally signing my pledge letters :wink: , the vast majority of people are very polite even if they are not going to vote for me. I can only assume some canvassers have a very aggressive style and lack interpersonal skills. On a number of occasions people have said how nice it is to have someone call, as nobody has before....alas many don't even know who their current Councillor is.

Indeed Observer is right, canvas data is recorded so that get the vote out efforts can be directed to best effect...it is called professional campaigning and I would never apologise for that.

So walking the streets paid dividends then - perhaps all local politicians can learn from this :roll:

I would agree that 'walking the streets'or canvassing is a good way to meet people and chat to them about local and national issues. I was involved in canvassing during this election and its always interesting. The other vital component is to hold regular surgeries so local people have somewhere they can just drop into when they have a problem. A number of people 'on the doorstep' commented that they really valued that.

Surgeries - the one I've heard most about has quite a few callers. Certainly seen as worthwhile.

Selling rosettes?? I don't think so! Mind you, the Lib Dems aren't funded (controlled/manipulated) by either the unions or wealthy businesses, so we do work hard to raise funds.

Clearly some voters will always vote for a party, others vote for the individual they most trust, regardless of party affiliation. That's why some Independents do very well.

I am totally committed to Lib Dem principles and have been for many years. I have supported many Lib Dem candidates to win seats. I also have concerns about the entire political system and feel there is always room for people who would make great councillors but who are not affiliated to a political party. I think they can provide a balance as long as they operate within the bounds of common decency.

What I detest are those people who compromise their independence and their integrity by selling themselves to the highest bidder. I feel that is dishonest.

I would, as you would expect, always support a Lib Dem candidate first as I know the core principles they will hold.