Why we need nuclear power

asperity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This earthquake has been one of the largest in history and has been combined with a devestating Tsunami, so I think that rather than demonstrating the vulnerability of nuclear power stations, it has shown how robust they are. This hasn't been another Chernobyl by a long way. If the UK were to suffer an earthquake of that magnitude tomorrow the whole country would grind to a halt for the forseeable future, you only have to see what 2 inches of snow does :wink::wink::wink:

Seems the problem has been nipped in the bud then! :wink:

Call me miserable but I do not think that any kind of gutter humour is appropriate under these circumstances, these people are suffering deprivation, I pray that we never experience in this country.

Algy, you are correct.

I would not like to be living there. Where do they start? What will they do for food and water AND sanitation?

All we have to worry about is crap politicians and being under the thumb of Europe?

My sympathies go out to all the Japanese. As Asp says, we couldn't hack it over here.

Well, it seems the ultimate answer to a "nuclear accident" is now being considered for the Fukashima Plant, as folk evacuate the area and even leave Japan - IE. to bury it. :shock: Presumably this will require the site to be encased in lead and, like the waste, left as a sterile testament to a high risk technology that we can't fully control? :cry:

Star Trek, Star Wars and the magic shields weren't real were they Obs :wink:

So...... if even if low levels reach us then the time, distance and shielding aren't working sufficiently. If they had a massive and prolonged leak would we then get medium levels :?

My heart really does go out to all the people in Japan though, it must be awful for them. To suffer such a devastating earthquake and tsunami and to lose friends, family, homes and everything they own is hard enough to comprehend let alone to add to it all the threat of a nuclear emergency and/or disaster too. :cry::cry::cry:

My heart really does go out to all the people in Japan though, it must be awful for them. To suffer such a devastating earthquake and tsunami and to lose friends, family, homes and everything they own is hard enough to comprehend let alone to add to it all the threat of a nuclear emergency and/or disaster too.

Me to Dizzy :!:

Time - of exposure. Distance - from source. Shielding - from gamma radiation. Think perhaps, as we're on the other side of the planet, we may just be OK, so don't be rushing for your iodine tablets just yet! :wink: However, having said that, believe we did cop for some high readings following the Chernobyl incident - suppose it depends on which way the wind blows. :shock:

believe we did cop for some high readings following the Chernobyl incident

Yup, nothing to worry about now though, tartan sheep quite recently got the all-clear:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scottish-sheep-farms-finally-free-of-chernobyl-fallout-2020059.html

And, what everyone else said about people in Japan.