Why we need nuclear power

asperity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Seems they've evacuated all folk within a 6mile radius of the Fukoshima power station in Japan - the earthquake has caused a bit of a radiation leak. :shock:

I thought that there was a cooling problem and the temp. was rising. :shock:

What is amazing is how well these cars float!!!

Seems Asp and Peter are more concerned with the cars that the potential radiation leak Obs.

Note the word 'potential' as it hasn't hapened yet although they did say they may releasing some to releive the pressure which is double what it should be as the power outage disabled the reactor's cooling system :shock:

Scarey eh

Have a re-read of this Dizzy and relax a bit

http://www.annaraccoon.com/reflections/weird-fact-of-the-day/comment-page-1/#comment-33227

Wildlife is thriving inside the exclusion zone around Chernobyl. There are even people living nearby and not managing to grow three heads. And as I said before the UK isn't prone to earthquakes 8.9 on the richter scale which is 1000 times more powerful than the one that devestated Christchurch :wink::wink:

Heh, what's x 7000 between people who don't give a toss, eh?

As I've said before around here, I'm not opposed to nuclear power in principle, but it does have to be as safe as we can make it.

I worry that those who have unbridled support for it are often the same ones who seem to make light of such ["natural" or unnatural] tragedies.

Chernobyl was a totally different type of reactor (same radiation though) and yes there was a massive 'meltdown' also asperity says the wildlife in that area has recovered amazingly but their life cycle on average is far smaller than ours, on the downside a large number of the population in the srrounding area suffered and are still suffering from radiation sickness and all the ills that go with it.

On the subject of the senario in Japan, I appreciate they must reduce the pressure on the system, however venting radiation contaminated steam into the atmosphere is not a desirable way of resolving the problem, why have they not foreseen this eventuality and designed a steam pressure letdown holding system incorporating large capacity condensers to condense the steam through the condensers, finally holding the resulting liquid in massive enclosed containment tank/vessels, to await decontamination and before I am shot down on the basis that it would be too costly and too large a project, the Japanese are supposed to be one of the most safety conscious nations on the planet and considering they built a nuclear power station over one of the largest geological faults on the planet, they cocked up on this one. :roll:

Seems Asp and Peter are more concerned with the cars that the potential radiation leak Obs.

Note the word 'potential' as it hasn't hapened yet although they did say they may releasing some to releive the pressure which is double what it should be as the power outage disabled the reactor's cooling system :shock:

Scarey eh

WRONG!!!.

I responded to obs scaremongering. At the same time, I don't think there is much we can do about it. Speculation is foolhardy.

So Dizzy, are you saying that you didn't notice the cars floating along in vast numbers? :shock:

Scarey eh

WRONG!!!.

I responded to obs scaremongering. At the same time, I don't think there is much we can do about it. Speculation is foolhardy.

So Dizzy, are you saying that you didn't notice the cars floating along in vast numbers? :shock:

Peter.. Please don't SHOUT :lol: I didn't actually take much notice of the cars floating along in vast numbers as you put it as I haven't seen any TV coverage and only saw a couple of small online clips yestreday. I did notice the fires burning in the water as it swept along which caugh my eye.

As for scaremongering and worry... well I asked my other half about the pressure being double what it should have been and he said that was nothing to worry about and it wouldn't have leaked as they are built to withstand far greater pressures than that :wink:

And an hour later he completely buggered up our pc by clicking on a 'pretend' virus warning and it took longer to fix this than it took them to stabilise the reactor .... so nuclear reactors are safe in the hands of those who know what they are doing wheras PC's clearly aren't.

Are reactors run by computers and men :shock::shock:

I never fully supported nuclear (apart from when its thorium ofcourse) simply because i fear the waste will go inot the water table. I had an argument with a pro nuclear guy last weekend, he basically said waste is overhyped, and theirs nothing to worry about. I personally believe coal power plants can certainly sustain the energy demands in the medium term, while putting money into a viable, safe alternative. as long as the only thing coal power plants produce is CO2 (which is plant food) then i believe they are perfectly safe.

And an hour later he completely buggered up our pc by clicking on a 'pretend' virus warning and it took longer to fix this than it took them to stabilise the reactor .... so nuclear reactors are safe in the hands of those who know what they are doing wheras PC's clearly aren't.

Are reactors run by computers and men :shock::shock:

Dizzy, please, please, please don't let your bloke anywhere near anything fissile controlled by anything electonic :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: