New Season Predictions

CP

Well well well its that time of year again. The new season has certainly come round quick.

Lets have everyones predictions for the new season and also the first game against huddersfield on saturday.

I predict a trophyless season for the wire, top 4 finish in the league but another poor show in the playoffs and a cup semi final ending in defeat.

My concern for this season is the pack. One or two injuries to the likes of Morley, Westwood, Harrison and Anderson and we will be struggling. Saints and Wigan look exceptionally strong with their packs.

As for Huddersfield on saturday, you could really toss a coin. If I have to stick my head on the block I would go with Huddersfield. They certainly did a number on us in the playoffs last year and they look like they maybe an even bigger force this year.

Hope im wrong but they are my gut feelings.

Are you Safeway in disguise :P

Blimey we have two doomongers now...... :D:D

frazer.jpg

For what it's worth my opinion is a lot more positive...

Saturday should see us off to a winning start our backs will relish Cardiff's large pitch.

Maybe no Wembley this year but a second spot in the league and a long awaited appearance at Old Trafford.

1st game of the season in Taffyland is too close to call but as it's the first game the result is meaningless. It will take a half a dozen games before an accurate assessment can be made. Despite scoring a lot of tries last season Riley seems to have been sidelined, only playing if others are injured. He's quicker than the threequarters who will take the pitch in Cardiff. Only Bridge has genuine pace the others relying on brute force. The pack to my mind is unbalanced and contains too many of the same type of player..plenty of biff bash but very little guile. Ben Harison is never a loose forward,he's a prop forward. I would have liked to have signed Joe Westerman...he's a top back rower but that's water under the bridge now. Everybody seems to think that the Pie-Eaters are a shoo-in to sweep the board this season but if the referees carry out the directive from the RFL regarding the slowing down of the play the ball in the correct manner then their gallop will have been slowed down. They've also been told that the practice of acting half backs running into the backs of retreating defenders in order to filch a penalty will result in a penalty..to the defence ! I emailed the RFL in the close season suggesting these changes but I don't for one moment think they took any advice from me. Another change I suggested was if the side in possession kick the ball dead that play should be resumed. not on the 20 metre line but restart on halfway. I got the feeling that the ball was being kicked dead deliberately in order to keep the pressure on the defence. Restart on the 20 is easier to defend. The game was becoming far too negative and we were starting to lose the entertainment value. I'm pleased to say the the Wire coach isn't one of those coaches who employs the negative tactics and if the new rules are carried out as they should be the Wire should be strong contenders for anything on offer.

I see the RFL have only changed the rules about acting half running into the back of retreating defenders now that Cunningham has retired.

That vastly over rated fatty made his living by earning cheap penaltys and won saints many a game with such 'tactics'.

If this new rule had been implemented 10 years ago Cunningham and indeed saints wouldn't have had the success they have seen.

To be fair M Monaghan sometimes plays the same trick but to me its always a bit of a soft penalty.

That vastly over rated fatty made his living by earning cheap penaltys and won saints many a game with such 'tactics'.

Why are you posting on a Rugby League thread because it's obvious you know nothing about the game. :roll:

Im voicing my opinion which i am fully entitled to do so jog on.

If you disagree then say so and state why. Dont just snipe and try and belittle me.

Cunningham never made an impact at international level so therefore he is over rated...like many english players in SL. And for the record he earnt plenty of cheap penalties by running straight into retreating opposing players. The rules have now been changed to outlaw such unfair play. Far too late imo.

Oh where to start.

Voted the club's greatest ever player by his own supporters.

Been named in the Super League Dream Team on 6 occasions.

Ranked as the greatest player of the Super League era in 2007 by 'Rugby World Magazine'

In 1999 he was the only British player voted into the World XIII

A try scoring record of nearly 1 try every 3 games.

And 17 seasons in the game (not bad for a fatty) :roll:

So yes IMO you obviously know nothing about the game. :roll::roll:

Why are you posting on a Rugby League thread because it's obvious you know nothing about the game. :roll:

Im voicing my opinion which i am fully entitled to do so jog on.

If you disagree then say so and state why. Dont just snipe and try and belittle me.

Cunningham never made an impact at international level so therefore he is over rated...like many english players in SL. And for the record he earnt plenty of cheap penalties by running straight into retreating opposing players. The rules have now been changed to outlaw such unfair play. Far too late imo.

Wolfie is "related" to Cunningham so don't be too hard on him! :lol::wink:

Oh where to start.

Voted the club's greatest ever player by his own supporters.

Been named in the Super League Dream Team on 6 occasions.

Ranked as the greatest player of the Super League era in 2007 by 'Rugby World Magazine'

In 1999 he was the only British player voted into the World XIII

A try scoring record of nearly 1 try every 3 games.

And 17 seasons in the game (not bad for a fatty) :roll:

So yes IMO you obviously know nothing about the game. :roll::roll:

Superleague is sub standard.

He would have been average over in the NRL and thats probably why he never tested his arm over there.

Average player made to look great by playing in a poor competition and there you have it.

I dont care what honours he has been awarded the fact remains he was average at international level and wasn't good enough to ply his trade in the nrl.

I think this is going to be a good year for us again - I think our star is definitely in the ascendancy!

We'll go well in the Challenge Cup and Super league and also in the play-offs. Although I think Wigan will be very strong this year, I think we'll end the season with at least one trophy in the cabinet! :D

Cunningham won't be included in the greats of the game because as stated earlier he chickened out of facing the Aussies. A true great...AJ Murphy was beating Aussies up when he was just 18 years old. As a hooker I would put Kevin Ashcroft in front of him...he was one tough geezer...I should know, I went to school with him and once refused his kind request to have a fight with him.Thanks but no thanks Ash.

My insults aimed at wolfie were not directed because of his opinion but rather due to his comment that I dont know anything about RL which I find insulting since ive been following it for 30 years.

I think safeway has similar feelings about Cunningham as myself and im sure there are others who share the same opinion too.

Wolfie has obviously only been following RL since the SL era and has swallowed all the Sky rubbish about the likes Cunningham and Wellens being world class. When in fact they were/are nowhere near.

I dont need eddie hemmings, Mike Stephenson, Phil Clarke or anyone else to tell me who is world class and who isn't. I form my own opinions from what I witness with my own eyes.

Thats my last comment on the matter.

Apologies to Gary for lowering the tone.

I have been following rugby league for 50 years and if you look at previous posts you will know that I think SL has ruined the game.

At no point did I say that Cunningham was World class :?

I said that he was NOT an overated fatty, which he obviously isn't/wasn't.

However I accept your apology for lowering the tone

:wink:

Ignoring the bickering and silly comments, I can't think of a Coach, player or fan that wouldn't have had Cunningham in their team.

In that respect he was obviously a class player if not World Class.

As for being chicken in not facing the Aussies, I'm not sure there are many people who would say that to his face.