New Mersey Bridge

algy

Trouble is, all the M6 Toll has acheived is to move the queues from the M6 round the north of Birmingham onto the M42 round the eastern and southern sides.

Net result. Next to no benefit.

Nonsense. I have saved many,many hours using it and will continue to do so. To get back to the topic, you, Inky Pete, are proof positive as to why the toll bridges in Widnes will massively increase traffic through Warrington, esp Wally Drag, Chester Road and all the rat runs you can think of.

And you are the reason the powers that be can get away with charging motorists thousands of pounds per year for things they have already paid for!. Not all motorists have the kind of spare money to throw around that using toll roads on a daily basis will cost.

I don't currently use the Runcorn Bridge regularly - and certainly won't once the government denies free use of it to those who have funded it. So I don't really see how I'm going to be contributing any more than I do now to the impending increased disaster that will be Warringtons roads.

I don't currently use the Runcorn Bridge regularly - and certainly won't once the government denies free use of it to those who have funded it. So I don't really see how I'm going to be contributing any more than I do now to the impending increased disaster that will be Warringtons roads.

Oh the bliss of ignorance. Trot on Pete. :D:D:D

A colleague and I recently both had to be in Warwick for a meeting at 10am on a Monday morning. Probably the worst time of the week to be getting past Birmingham! We ended up almost together on the M6 going south through Stoke and down to Stafford, but he took the toll road while I stuck with the old M6.

He arrived at our Warwick office just over 5 minutes ahead of me.

That's ?5 spent to save 5 minutes. Who values their time at ?60 per hour?

Or ?120 per hour if you're driving an HGV!

Think how much you'd have saved travelling in the same car.

The analogy with the M6 Toll Motorway is a non-starter. The M6 Toll Motorway was built with private money, by a private firm who took advantage of a requirement to provide a quick way to beat the queues around Birmingham.

The Runcorn Bridge replacement is being built by the government and they will use it as an additional form of taxation and will totally screw up the traffic flow in Warrington because people will try and save a few quid and get stuck in the traffic jams that will engulf our town. It is a typical non-reaction from our councillors; they are avoiding answering any hard questions about traffic impact, because most of them will not be councillors by the time it is open; and any that are will not be for long after the first traffic jams cripple the town.

Like PJ, I always use it and it does save a lot of time on average; because believe me, if you get stuck on the M6 through Birmingham....you get well and truly stuck, whereas the Toll is always easy to pass. It does get busy at certain times like last Friday, I came back from London and every booth was open and every booth had a queue and there are more and more trucks using it too.

It will come into its own in a few years; as have the toll motorways in france. Even there though you can see the locals who jump on and clog up the lanes in their silly 2CV6's when it is free and come off again when they have to pay....

A colleague and I recently both had to be in Warwick for a meeting at 10am on a Monday morning. Probably the worst time of the week to be getting past Birmingham! We ended up almost together on the M6 going south through Stoke and down to Stafford, but he took the toll road while I stuck with the old M6.

He arrived at our Warwick office just over 5 minutes ahead of me.

That's ?5 spent to save 5 minutes. Who values their time at ?60 per hour?

Or ?120 per hour if you're driving an HGV!

Think how much you'd have saved travelling in the same car.

Tricky, considering I had an afternoon meeting in Milton Keynes followed by an overnight stay and then more appointments down south, whereas he had to get back up to Preston that night.