Marriage Certs?

observer

I know we've had this one before, but it seems to be raising it's head again on news progs: no doubt Adrian will give us a definitive view, but it seems that "common law" marriage doesn't afford the same (if any) protection in law. So now, some are campaigning for "the law" to be changed, to afford such "protections" that are providing by marital status. Now, it may be simplistic, BUT, if a woman want's some security behind her relationship - isn't the answer just to "get married"? :?

I would say that if a couple get married then everything they have individually becomes equally theirs (All that I have I give to you etc.....)

If a couple can't be bothered to get married (for whatever reason) then everything they bring into the partnership stays their individual property; as does anything they make while they are together..... when they split up; if the bloke has worked and the woman hasn't and the bloke has paid for the house, she gets out...... simple

If they want security.....get married and leave the dumb lefty civil partnership nonsense at the alter

Why would I finish up with nowt if we split up? What's to stop him finishing up with nowt? :wink: Equal in the fact that neither of us are married to each other :P

Just make sure that you have the name of the best matrimonial solicitor in town. (Just in case) :wink: Nothing is straight forward these days.

Well straight forward enough from where I am sitting and no pre-nups or solicitors here.

House is joint and was mostly jointly paid for. What's owed can be covered from the endowment which is in his name.

I can't see what all the fuss is about :roll:

Only way I'd get a strop on is if he wanted my car, my stereo, or the computer with all my photos on. He wouldn't want my cd's, my guitars or my keyboard just as I wouldn't want his drums :lol:

Simples although I did tell him he could have the lot earlier in no uncertain terms :oops:

Could that now be legally binding... HURRAH.. I may now be gone for some time :D

Moving away from the legal aspect of marriage, it will be almost impossible for future generations to trace their family history and roots as in a civil partnership where some type of legal document recording that arrangement does not exist and future families will have to rely soley on the memory of relatives of the time, a most unreliable method of sourcing information as I have found out, also in the event of tracing relatives in the event of dealing with Intestacy matters (where an individual has died without leaving a will), a solicitor will often need to locate the next of kin, beneficiary or lost heir, producing a birth and or marriage certificate can speed up the process and result in a satisfactory conclusion. What I am not saying is all of the above is not impossible however a legal marriage certificate would speed up and make life much easier for anyone attempting those activities.

Moving away from the legal aspect of marriage, it will be almost impossible for future generations to trace their family history and roots as in a civil partnership where some type of legal document recording that arrangement does not exist and future families will have to rely soley on the memory of relatives of the time, a most unreliable method of sourcing information as I have found out, also in the event of tracing relatives in the event of dealing with Intestacy matters (where an individual has died without leaving a will), a solicitor will often need to locate the next of kin, beneficiary or lost heir, producing a birth and or marriage certificate can speed up the process and result in a satisfactory conclusion. What I am not saying is all of the above is not impossible however a legal marriage certificate would speed up and make life much easier for anyone attempting those activities.

Now that's something I hadn't considered :shock: Anyone trying to figure out our family tree in the future will will struggle enough as it is cos my other half's adopted too and it doesn't say that on his replacement birth certificate. So not only could that side of the family tree be missed all together but then there is our little 'problem' too.

I'm not against marriage at all and would quite like to be married... but not to him :lol::lol: Offers anyone ? :D No I thought not :cry:

We've been together for about 22 years which is a lot longer than many people we knew who got married and are now divorced.

Maybe people stick together longer and work at it more if they have homes and families BECAUSE they haven't got the easy 'I get it all' divorce option.

Maybe no-one gets all Obs but it certainly does not mean that it is fair.

We know two married couples where the wife had an affair and decided Mr Newby was the one for her so 'hubby and wife' divorced. Both 'wives' got to keep the family home as they had kids and both also received maintenance etc where as the husbands who had both worked their socks and had done nothing wrong had to either move in with friends or rent a bedsit.

How fair's that.... well it's not is it :roll: