Sky lanterns?

observer

Anyone that didn't look out at the sky this New Year missed out on something that was visually quite stunning. We've all now seen the sky lanterns from time to time but the shear volume at midnight NewYear was something else.

They do have come down but at least they do less damage than a large rocket hitting the car's paintwork or landing in my fish pond and poluting the water.

Think the news story says the aircraft don't like them and I don't think the cows do either because they apparently eat em. Whole new kind of Chinese food delivery. :lol:

Bill :)

Anyone that didn't look out at the sky this New Year missed out on something that was visually quite stunning. We've all now seen the sky lanterns from time to time but the shear volume at midnight NewYear was something else.

They do have come down but at least they do less damage than a large rocket hitting the car's paintwork or landing in my fish pond and poluting the water.

Think the news story says the aircraft don't like them and I don't think the cows do either because they apparently eat em. Whole new kind of Chinese food delivery. :lol:

Bill :)

The metal pieces in Chinese lanterns will cause a slow and painful death when they're eaten by and puncture the stomach of a cow.

A good friend of mine is a dairy farmer, he's lost 4 animals from his herd of around 150 to the bl**dy things in the last couple of years.

We have 8 unused sky lanterns if anyone wants them......

My son used 2 on bonfire night at a party and one drifted sidewards across one garden and landed in the next garden where it set fire to a bush which was growing around a wooden fence. :shock:

As luck would have it though the bush was in his grandad's garden so he managed to get in and knew where to find the hosepipe/tap and put it out before his grandad noticed :oops::lol:

They don't seem very safe at all if they happen to come down while they are lit and like Inky says the metal bits are obviously a danger to animals and wildlife. :cry: